I am back to demo account after 2 month trade in live account with 80% Risk of Ruin

I am going back to demo after 2 month live trading with 80% Risk of Ruin. I cant control my mind and always traped to trade like a gamblers. Any advice will very appreciated.
This is my stat.

1 Like

Did your trading strategy provide you with profitable results? If so than it is your psychology that needs some work. You should give trading in the zone a read. Also maximize your risk per trade to 2% so you can lose many times in a row and not blow your account which makes it less demanding for your mind to trade . If you have the tendency to gamble all the time, then you should read market wizards. If you have further questions feel free to ask

Thank for the reply. :slightly_smiling_face: Yes. My system are profitable with 62% winrate. But i cant follow the rule and move the stop loss. When my entry are in profit i close earlier. i almost blow my account when i lost control. I entry the big lots size without SL. Because of that i stop trading on live account until i find the ways to manage my psychology. My intuition tell me if i keep going trade with 80% Risk of Ruin i will burn my account if i lost control again. :expressionless:

Friend, may I know how many months did you practice your demo (1st session) before live?

2 month on mt4 demo. And then go live 67 day. its still profitable but the risk of ruin 80% are too high. soo i stop trading live and go back to demo again. i am focus on learning how to handle my psychology. The problem are trading demo account has no pressure. very difference feeling when trading live its stressful.

If you mean you’re risking 80% of your account, I definitely agree with that phrase “risk of ruin”

If you are trading just to trade, then go and stay on a demo. You can get as crazy as you want without losing real money. But if you’re trading to make money, then you have to protect your account. The way you do that is 1. Have a trading strategy that has rules, that are based on the balance of probabilities if you follow them you will be more right than wrong in the long run. Manual traders, traders than use scripts and/or advisors, managed accounts, will all tell you the same thing if they are being honest; and that is no matter what method you trade by you have loses.

Handling loses takes skill, patience and lots of experience. The better you are at handling loses the more you will minimize your loss, but you will have losses. It takes no skill, patience or experience to blow your account.

Your trading method has or should have a set of rule that are based on the balance of probabilities if followed follow them you should win more than lose in the long run. However, if your trading plan has 5 rules: Rule 1, Rule 2, Rule 3, Rule 4 and Rule 5 and you choose not to follow one of the rules, then you decrease the balance of probabilities that you will be successful in the long run. As you gain skill, patience skill and experience you can adjust the rules to maximize profits, but that takes time work and effort.

Let me say I’m not convinced yet by my pal Tradeswithbenefits has me thinking about having a system programed theoretically you run your program and it takes the emotion out of trading. I’m old and old school so like I said I’d rather do it myself, but maybe it could be an option. A managed account is another way to go. Make sure you do your homework so you don’t get robbed.

Hope that helps
Gp

1 Like

thanks for all the advice. i am sure now that i am not ready for the live trading. and i will keep learning with the demo account. My target are begin live trading again on 2019. Thanks All. :blush:

Hi @WaterRock, I don’t want to take anything away from what GP and others have stated above…

This is a topic I have addressed already this week… Maybe try not using a TP, once price has moved into profit move your stop inside the trade (to cover commission plus a holding fee profit), set a mental TP and let the trade run, if it retraces, you don’t lose any money and if it takes off or spikes up, you’ve had a win…

What I do notice from some of the information you have posted is you are possibly using lot sizes that are way to big for your current trading skillset… We have all done it and been kicked in the a$$…

If you are trading a 10k account…(Estimation) then drop your lot sizes down to 0.01 or 0.05 at the largest… Continue with your live account to improve your trading psychology… just contain the losses with lower lot sizes and slightly larger/ better placed stops…

Trading live is a skill set in itself and has to be developed (while you should run a demo for trialing ideas alongside your Live account)… just take the big hits out by lowering the lots… you lose 20 pips with a 0.01 lot and it’s no different to dropping a cup of coffee… many here have shown that using micro lot positions is a risk management strategy in itself and I totally agree…

Once you start to improve your win/loss ratio (currently @ 62%) then maybe move to 0.05 or even 0.1 lot sizes… concentrate on getting the ratio up above 77% and your mentality should change…

It’s just my 2 cents worth… but it worked for me early on and I still drop lot sizes when my win / loss ratio takes a trip south…

2 Likes

Hello Trendswithbenefits. Your guess are right. when i am lossing some trade, i will entry the bigger lots size to cover my losses. i know that are not good and not the part of my rules system. but i still do it again and again. i think its called revenge trading. i am very lucky in the end i can get some profit. this is my stat from risk of ruin.

I hope this stat can give information to new traders to not doing the same way like i do. i am really very lucky not to blow up my account.
:sweat_smile:

Wow… that’s some serious numbers, give the micro lots a try while you develop your strategy…

This game is hard enough without having the added stress of giving large sums to the market.

A rough rule of thumb is to only risk 1% of your account per position… although If I were you I’d drop that to say 0.5% (or less) ie: $5.00 of exposure per trade… on 0.01 lots this will allow a ~30 pip stop on most crosses… plenty of room for most trades to breathe…

Yes… you are not going to make huge profits in the short term… but this should remove most of the stress from your trading while learning how to source, develop and apply successful strategies to a live account… Just until you get your mindset back in check and are comfortable that you have a working strategy…

FX Trading can be a hard gig… you have to enjoy it to put in the time to improve your results… constant big losses will have you wishing you had never stepped foot into the markets…

This is just my solution, others may wish to wade in and offer further advice… Good Luck.

2 Likes

Thanks for All the members here who very helpfull. Very appreciated. :+1:I will try my best.

Check out this video…

Describes my approach and the recent trading gain on GBPUSD and some important tips to remain profitable.

The thumbnail says it all about the problem of watching trades and closing trades too early.

That bad habit of watching trades and closing early helps to minimize your losses but compromises your profit potential long term.

Duane
DRFXTRADING

Man, it’s too quick I guess! Then you can use cent/micro type live account.

I dont think its too quick. If you can show in the 2 months you can be profitable move on to live trading. However in the beginning you must start small to practise the psychology of trading. But sticking to demo won’t train the psychology of trading, and that is the area he is lacking

If nay person is going to ruin almost his all amount in 2 months he is certainly seeing something is wrong with his trading on live . It is not bad to come back for demo trading for more practice . Most important thing in this contest is to use minimum risk in trading he should not trade all the time . He can skip when he is not able to understand market. His trading psychology will change with his small victories.

I appreciate your opinion; but honestly, I have never seen any successful trader by using the demo account only for 2-3 months!

It is a very depressing to hear that you are trading as like as a gambler, even after so many threads for the beginners. There is no doubt that a trader needs to take decisions out of rational decision making to avoid unnecessary profit loss. Yes, you may start the whole journey again with demos to give a fresh face to your journey.

The problem here is his risk management not his trading. On demo you can only take your strategy to a better level however your trading psychology will not be developed. And that is the thing he is lacking. So for that reason it would be better to start live again with 0.5-1 % risk per trade. More than 2 months on demo will stagnate a traders development

you should use demo until you feel comfortable with the charts and have enough knowledge about the market. there is no restriction on the number of days or months you use a demo account.