I am confused about how Babypips work - what is a view?

What determines your views in babypips? I mean is there anyway you can get more views? I see people posting the exact same thing but they have reallyyyy different views. Is there a reason for that?

1 Like

It’s a fair question, one I’ve never thoght about because I haven’t looked at the view totals for different posters or posts.

I am also wondering what the answer is.

(of course I admit I have a lot of members whose profiles I have set to “Ignore”, so their posts never get viewed by me, but I’m only one member, I’m sure most people don’t do this)

1 Like

I thougnt this only mattered to people with something to promote?

I know you’re not one of the people promoting anything here, so I’m wondering why you’re asking?

I would think that a catchy or jokey or clever title-line for a thread will increase the viewing-count, probably?

1 Like

Oooh. :open_mouth: Interesting! :open_mouth: I haven’t really thought much about this, but I guess the more you post and the more people are involved in a thread, the more views it gets? Cause people would be constantly checking. :thinking: Hmm. now I’m curious to see the views on my posts! :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

same for me.

or maybe the time? Posting when more members are online increases the chances of your post being seen.

2 Likes

I don’t have a view on that (pardon the pun). A long time ago, I decided that the only way I could measure the worth of my posts is to look at the number of likes my posts receive. I received more likes than posts, so I assume that my posts are liked by quite a few members. That is sufficient justification to spend the time I do contemplating whether I can add value to other members’ education. The more you answer, the more confident you become in authoring responses. None of us is perfect, but the more mistakes you make in an open forum, the faster you will make less mistakes. I love this forum, for its objectives, and I feel at peace with most members. My favourite “view” from any member is humility. You all know who you are, oh humble ones :heart_eyes: :joy:

2 Likes

I envy you.

Seriously.

I’m not trying to be funny/sarcastic/difficult/facetious: I envy you that.

I’ve been here no time at all. I also have far more “likes” than “posts”, but I know that a lot of people here dislike me.

You are a serious contributor to this forum, even if you have not been here for long. It doesn’t matter if a lot of people dislike you from this forum. I am sure, like me, you are here to learn more deeply what you already know, by using the few members who contribute serious knowledge and experience. As for “a lot of people”, like any other website with a forum, many of those people don’t deserve your wisdom, and that is apparent in their caustic replies. Just ignore their taunting. They are not here for the real purpose of sharing. They have a different agenda, and it doesn’t matter what that agenda is. :star_struck:

2 Likes

Thanks for the question. Let’s start with “views”.

What is a View in the Forums?

The “Views” counter is a bit different than what you might expect. A view to a topic is counted when you visit a topic. If you return to the same topic within the next 8 hour period, your visit(s) will still only be counted once. Only after 8 hours have passed will we count your next visit as unique and change the view count.

So the views count you see is most likely underreporting the actual visits by all members and guests.

Some additional information related to “Views”:

• Guest/unregistered users do count towards the view count.
  • When a topic is locked/closed by a moderator or admin, the view count still works like normal.
  • You don’t have to scroll to the end of the topic for your visit to count.

Generally speaking, more engaging topic titles and well thought out questions and experiences are more engaging that shorter questions. Posting content that “performs” well also helps. This tends to be content related to trading systems, journals, personal trading experiences (e.g., prop firm challenges, extended trading system results, backtest results, ICT/SMC concepts, prop firms in general, price action related topics, candlesticks, and trader psychology to name a few. But there are definitely more topics that resonate with the community that I haven’t listed.

Also, remember that we’ve been around since 2005. Some of our topics have been actively running for years and even greater than a decade on a few, and so those view counts will be extremely higher than most other topics created more recently.

It also helps, as is the case for trade journals, for example, that frequently updating a topic will keep it fresh of mind, increasing the likelihood that other members and guests will read and follow the topic.

Here’s a tip if you want to review the most viewed topics across the forums.

1. Start on the forums homepageby clicking on Categories from the navigation bar
  2. Pick a parent or child category. Click on the category name. I’ll use Trading Discussion as the example.
  3. Once the Trading Discussion index page appears, click on the “Views” column heading located on the right side of the page.

The index page is now sorted with the topics having the most views at the top of the page. It’s a great way to see what topics have garnered the most interest across the years, and it’s a great way to also find highly discussed topics (check the Replies column).

I hope that helps.

Pipstradamus

6 Likes

The same reason I post here lol. I mean in any type of social media more views are useful. Babaypips, I believe does not allow promotions in general, so that is outa question but more views generally means getting more comments having a wider view and knowing more about what other people think about what you are asking.

Wow thanks a lot for the info. I will use this for sure. Great!

1 Like

The more interesting and hot your topic is, the more views you get, simple.

No offense; but did you even read what I posted?

I did but it’s just that simple in my opinion :smiley:

I have seen people who copy pasted another topic word by word ang got more views than the original one, that surprised me.

Those are normally “bots,” not “people” - but I share your surprise! :face_with_diagonal_mouth:

Well then I guess that’s just luck then.

1 Like

This is exactly how I think it works too.

1 Like

Appreciate the back up :sweat_smile: :+1:

1 Like