I am confused of following my true passion which is forex trading, or to obey my parents and do nursing which is what my parents instead want me to do

Good morning everyone,… please I got a very important question to ask and I will need some very important advice from you all please… I am passionate about forex trading by my parents doesn’t like the idea at all… But they want me to study nursing of which am not passionate about at all… honestly, my nursing school fees is right here with me, so please should I invest the money to my forex trading for a good mentorship or I should obey my parents???

2 Likes

Retail forex is gambling. Get a career first, then gamble when you have the extra money.

7 Likes

If you start trading now, you will probably lose money. If you start training towards being a nurse now, you will probably get a job and have a steady income. This income will fund your trading - not all trading demands that you spend every hour of every day in front of a price chart.

Don’t worry about not being passionate about nursing or in fact any job. All jobs have their downsides no matter how different the activities involved are and even if you love this job today, the time will come when you hate it.

If I was going to lend someone money, I would not do it if they needed it for trading.

13 Likes

Get a job! Retail trading should only be a side hustle!

5 Likes

Some important questions first:

Are you profitable?
If yes, for how long?
Have you worked from home before, going from a busy office/university to sitting at home by yourself all day takes some adjusting and effects profitability.

If you answer no to any of the above I’d suggest nursing first, trading second.

1 Like

If you’re not profitable as a retail trader it doesn’t mean other traders could not be profitable

7 Likes

You can trade on the market and have normal job, it depends on trading method. Trading skills is like other jobs ( even harder), you can’t achieve it in month or even a year some people never be profitable. From my point of view, study nursing, in the meantime learn trading, learn basics, don’t rush btw two incomes are always better than one :wink:

4 Likes

Being passionate about forex does not earn you an income. Being consistently profit does not earn you an income either…unless you have sufficient capital to finance big enough positions and survive the inevitable drawdown periods.

Have you actually sat down and worked out a) just how much you need to earn to be a full-time trader? b) which instruments you are going to trade? c) what size positions you will need to take? d) what overall R:R you will need to net the income defined in a) on a regular basis for the rest of your career?

I doubt you have done your homework on this at all. :slight_smile:

But, on the other hand, why do you have to follow a career path chosen by your parents? There are so many opportunities, what do you want to do as a career (and don’t say trading!).

It is extremely easy to trade alongside a full-time job, and probably more likely to be successful that sitting in front of a screen all day.

Being a full-time trader is not a career as such. You have no guarantee whether today’s successful approach will still work in tomorrow’s markets. You have no idea whether regulations will change and end your trading opportunities (for example, if leverage would be abolished). You have no idea whether you will retain both your interest and your health in future years to keep trading. And you certainly won’t be earning yourself a pension along the way unless you earn enough to build up the capital or invest in a private pension fund, which requires more earnings from your trading…

Most, if not all, of the full-time traders that I know have also branched into other areas in order to stabilise their income and reduce the risks involved. Not many only trade for their living.

Have your parents supplied the school fees or is it your own money? If you give it away to a mentor, you will lose your money and probably gain nothing for it. Remember that at least 75-80% of retail traders actually lose money, and if we had the data from off-shore brokers then the level is more likely 90-95%. Your chances of consistently earning small profits are minimal - your chances of consistently earning a decent living are almost zero.

I think (although I do not have the data) that many banks and investment funds would be content to earn an annual income of 10-30% p.a. from their speculative trading. If you work out how much you need to earn as an annual income, what percentage is that of your available capital? If it is more than 10-30% do you think you can out-perform the professionals in this business? If so, then you are very good! :smiley:

My advice? choose the career path that you are really interested in, Discuss it with your parents, and follow that path. By all means start trading as a sideline, it is not so difficult, and see how it works out. But don’t try to become a full-time trader, it is simply too risky to justify throwing your life away without a proper regular job or skill to fall back on.

6 Likes

Simple search in Google “how much hedge funds earnings” should give some results and point of view

2 Likes

hello
i have one advice for you
do anything that you will not regret in 15 years

4 Likes

As much as I love the passion, I would have to agree with the previous responses. :open_mouth: Forex is something that you can do while still pursuing a different career. :open_mouth: Maybe you just have to find a career path that you will enjoy cause it sounds to me like you’re just being forced to take up nursing. :open_mouth: Apart from forex, what would you say are your other passions? :thinking:

2 Likes

@ria_rose Your post sums it all up 100% :ok_hand: :+1:

can be full time if retired and have $$

Hi,
I spent two years as the Chair of Governors of a private secondary school. Before you think I am philanthropic, the previous board of governors tried to make off with a sale of the school grounds to a shady property developer and I was one of eight parents that agreed to form an interim board to purge the school of their naughty governors, and reinstate the previous legal advisors who had been sacked by our predecessors. Every Thursday I met the headmaster and had lunch with the “young adults” or students. I also had to listen to complaining parents, many of whom thought that because they paid tuition fees, I was there to do their job of making their offspring do what their parents wanted them to do. A pity how many parents expect their children to achieve something that they themselves had no aptitude to do themselves, but wanted to brag about how perfect their own children were. Sound familiar? Just like working in a large company, eh?

I would certainly not go and spend your parents’ hard earned money that they have funded you in an advanced education for, with the expectation of having a working career. Just be honest with them and have the balls to put your own money where your mouth is. Just tell them you are bored sh**less studying to be a nurse and you want to be a forex trader. Check out of higher education, go flip burgers in a restaurant, find out what it really takes to be self sufficient, and if you have any time and energy (and money) left over, then invest it in learning how to trade properly. If you can’t be honest with the closest people in your life, how are you going to be honest with yourself? People don’t appreciate what has been given to them. The real key to a great life is earning it yourself, whether flipping burgers, or getting a Masters degree and earning money with your brain. You are young enough. You can make huge mistakes and recover. Just don’t take your parents money and abuse their trust by gambling it all away on the excuse of being a new age trader.

Success in trading does not need a full time effort. In fact, because it can be done for 10 minutes or 10 hours per day, is the beauty of the undertaking. Spend the 8 hours per day learning how to be a nurse, and 10 minutes a day following your passion of trading. Win / win. Your parents will be proud of you, your honestly with your parents will translate to honesty to yourself, and it will make the time you spend trading so much more enjoyable. You can fail 10 times over as a trader, and still qualify as a nurse. What’s to lose?

2 Likes

If you don’t care for nursing, do you have another area that interests you enough to pursue a degree in? If yes, go that route first. Trading will always be there. In fact, before undertaking studes oreven in tandem, you can spend a rather small amount of money to get an evaluation with a prop firm to see if you can be profitable. Many offer no time limit to reach the evaluation profit goal, so no pressure there. In addition, if you should pass the evaluation and get a funded account, then after you have successfully traded that for a “reasonable” number of trades such that you can be confident of remaining profitable, then you have some concrete evidence to present to your parents regarding trading.

1 Like

Here’s a bitter pill: Trading profitably becomes less stressful when you do not need the profits to pay the bills.

The less stress you have, the more advantageous position you’re in to execute better trades.

Trading eventually becomes 90% psychology and 10% technical.

Trade as a side income until you earn enough, and when you quit your full time job, diversify your income streams with other side incomes to complement your trading career, it really helps.

Hope this advice helps you out, and have a great weekend!

2 Likes

My advice is follow your dreams and do what you are passionate about.

Passion is good in any job, but passion itself will not feed you.

2 Likes

Hi Goddyawesome,
I believe that everyone should follow what they are passionate about.
If you are not passionate about nursing then you should not pursue it, because after spending all that money for nursing school, then taking the and passing the boards and landing a position as a nurse, you will soon be burnt out. I was a Post Partum Registered Nurse for 15 years and it was not a satisifing experience. Depending on the facility sometimes the nurse to patient ratio could be between 8 to 10 patients. Some patients can be very needy and demanding, and if you make a serious medication error you could potentially loose your Nursing License.

I am now retired and learing how to trade forex and at the same time showing my 21 year old grandson to do so as well. I started out taking manual trades but have since moved on to Expert Advisers on the Meta Trader 4 Platform. Some ot the Expert Advisers I purchased and some I created my self. So I do not have to stay in front of my computer all day.

Before you decide to go into trading full time there are certain things you must have. The most important one is a Trading Plan. You must also have a good understanding Risk/Money Management. Most importantly you must have the right Mind Set. Once those are in place you could potentially make money trading full time than you could ever make working as a nurse, and have the freedom to live the lifestyle you deserve.

I recommend you follow your passion!

1 Like

Depending on the country you live in, it is so much important to evaluate what that nursing degree will bring on to your table. Imagine being an unemployed graduate holding a degree you have never liked yourself.
However, I would advise you to be open and honest with your parents. Do not break their trust by secretly using their money for trading. That will dent your relationship for ever

1 Like