I just don't get it

Hi Barrigan

How would you know that what worked for you … would also be workable to others?

I have read your post “A profitable opportunity” and now this one.

If you are so eager to teach or help the novice traders, why didn’t you share your profitable / successful trading strategy to the BP community as yet despite their repeated advice?

1 Like

Hi sufshiken,

Thanks for your reply, I was a bit of a lurker, reading posts and had no intention of teaching my strategy. However, after seeing how desperately some people had tried and failed I thought what harm would it do to let someone in on the way I trade. I wouldn’t post the details because of the know it all’s who would inevitably drown out the strategy with nonsense. I have learned my lesson though and it’s a shame.

You didn’t respond to my question.

If you are not willing to post the details of your strategy then what is the purpose of your posting at BP forum?

Whether you are telling us that the course of Pipsology is useless and whoever learn it, he/she would be fall in the category of 95% failure traders?

Why don’t you use some other platform, your website/blog or social media for your noble cause of helping some desperate people or traders?

I would suggest you not to waist your as well as our time and do some constructive work here at BP forum.

1 Like

Hi again,

The strategy works for me, I was willing to share it and it may have been valuable to someone else. Who knows?

The purpose of posting my offer was to help someone.

My own opinion was that if 95% are failing then something is very wrong.

Why not use another platform? I have indeed learned my lesson and am still replying to comments on my open topics but, you’ll be glad to hear I won’t be starting any more.

You dont become successful by learning as many ways to profit in theory.

You become successful by learning as many ways to lose first hand.

A trading education wont make you profitable.

It will however act as a foundation to stand on and build from while you pay your dues and learn from your losses.

The key is to keep your head above water long enough to learn the lessons.

The 5% were once newbies, beginners, and novices too.

They just managed to stick around long enough to get to the profit.

Happy trading to all :slight_smile:

3 Likes

[quote=“Barrigan, post:12, topic:146521”]
The strategy works for me, I was willing to share it and it may have been valuable to someone else. Who knows? The purpose of posting my offer was to help someone.[/quote]
So what do we actually have here, @Barrigan?

You make it hard to assess since you have offered nothing concrete for anyone to evaluate your claims. Your desire to help the 95% who lose in trading is an admiral ambition - but your insistence on only doing this via private mentoring is not.

First you say:

But then you add:

So the only avenue to your strategy is through direct private contact to you. But that is called soliciting and you have already been officially warned by a moderator that:

[quote=“Pipzilla, post:13, topic:146594”]
…a reminder, by asking members to go off site to teach your strategy, it will be considered as a violation of our Forum Rules as Solicitation. If you’re not yet familiar with our Community Guidelines, we suggest you go over it.[/quote]
The site moderator also confirmed that the correct way to deal with this on a public site is to publish your method publicly:

So what do we know about you? This is what you have told us so far:

Your background:

[quote=“Barrigan, post:1, topic:146594”]
I’m originally from the UK, now living in Portugal. My partner and I moved here for a simpler life, she still works in England whilst I’m (attempting) to build a house and looking after our many animals. I’ve never been out of work and was looking for a way to earn an income in a foreign country. Eventually I came across Forex and decided to see what it was all about.[/quote]

Your trading history:

[quote=“Barrigan, post:3, topic:144542”]

… I spent about ten months on a demo account to find and perfect a profitable method. I’ve been trading live now for three months and have doubled my original capital. My system was not perfect initially, I had a downdraw of 70% which I’ve now addressed through better money management. [/quote]
So during a 10 month period of demo trading you managed a 70% drawdown. And since trading live for three months you have now doubled your capital using better money management …

Your trading experience:

So in 3 months of trading and using better money management and using just 0.01 lot position sizes you have now doubled your capital and even withdrawn your original stake.

Your problem situation now :

[quote=“Barrigan, post:1, topic:144542”]
My problem with forex is slightly ironic, being the opposite of most poster’s problems … I have a sound, working system but very little to invest. [/quote]

[quote=“Barrigan, post:3, topic:144542”]
…and a house to build in Portugal…[/quote]

Your reason for doing this:

[quote=“Barrigan, post:1, topic:146594”]
What’s in it for me? … Nothing, unless you’d like to help put a room on my house with your winnings.[/quote]

I can’t help wondering if that is exactly what any Newbies will actually end up doing…but I suspect it will not be from their winnings…?

Your offer:

You could - by posting publically…and if it works as well as you claim then it will stand up to any critique from fellow traders here- and, one would think, you would actually be appreciative of that?

As far as I can see, you have posted nothing about your method, or its results but, let’s assume here that I am a totally virgin Newbie, please tell me, if I were to contact you privately for you tuition (and thereby cause you to breach site regulations), do I receive:

a) The method details to trade for myself? (at the risk that I might even publish them here)

or, as one might suspect, (to protect the secrecy of your method):

b) An invitation to transfer my funds to you for you to trade on my behalf?

With your concern for the losers in this field, I would expect that you would agree that, unlike in other fields of human endeavour, in the interests of protecting the näivity and gullibility of Newbies, the only ethical approach towards such offers of free private mentoring in forex is:

“Guilty until proven innocent”:

I hope you will understand that others here also share your own concern about unethical practitioners in this industry and that there is a need to substantiate one’s claims - I have seen no evidence of that here yet. All we have from you so far is a brief, three-month trading record with microlots and a shortage of personal capital to move forward - and a blank refusal to publish any details of your method or results.

Maybe you could/should expand a little more?

5 Likes

I think you make an interesting point. Unfortunately a good number of the ‘successful traders’ on here are lying to you or vastly exaggerating their profit levels, that goes some way to explain the discrepancy. Another point is that trading is a skill more like an art form than a hard science so talent and experience play an important part, that is why two people can read the same literature and one of them becomes successful whilst the other does not.

There are lot of factors at play; the raw market analysis, emotion, luck.

1 Like

Lol @anon46773462. Well he might have a very small account balance a couple wins with 0.1 lots might just double the account.

Mathematically, of course. :slight_smile:

But the issue here is not about mathematics.

If you had started a live account with, as you say, a “very small balance” and doubled it in 3 months would you then withdraw your original balance. leaving you once again with only the equivalent of your original “very small balance” to continue your trading with? …and start to advertise private mentoring, whilst refusing to publicly provide any details of your trading approach or track record?

Would you do that after only 3 months live trading? Would you not be so excited with your results that you would concentrate on continuing to grow your balance so that you could trade bigger size? - especially if you were so confident that you would consider even mentoring others?..after only 3 months? Would you expect anyone to treat that with anything other than skepticism?

Of course, there are any number of possibilities here, and it may well be that here is the opportunity of a lifetime to take advantage of the offered private mentoring…or, on the other hand…

3 Likes

Yeah it’s most probably not true or exaggerated…I guess he is excited about a good performance and wants to cash in on it somehow. I say formalise what you’re doing into a fund and build your track record, if you can really knock it out of the park with your performance the money will chase you, there are many ways to legitimately attract investment, but it will take good performance over a sustained period.

People on here will be far too skeptical to find the money you need, their experience are negatively coloured by the plethora of scammers and or well intended but unproven traders that your frequently find here.

1 Like

That, unfortunately, is true, both here and across the internet in general.

To be fair, that is exactly the reason that @Barrigan gave for not wanting to post anything here about his method or results - because it would be met with scorn and derision. He even mentioned that genuine offerings should be somehow identified with some kind of authentification badge,

If one seeks financial services from a bank or pension fund etc, there are regulatory requirements concerning how and what services are recommended depending on one’s circumstances. Unfortunately, there are no such external and reliable requirements covering the kind of offerings we come across in this environment :frowning:

1 Like

Hi @anon46773462,

In the US, forex is regulated by the CFTC and NFA, and the NFA website provides information on how an individual or organization must register to provide forex trading services including the requirements they must meet: Registration and Membership | NFA

Thanks for that useful link. That may well provide some kind of protection regarding official organisations. But what we are talking about here is more to do with the individuals and unofficial business enterprises that roam the internet selling all kinds of products and services without any kind of regulation or authentication.

And the solution is to seek out properly regulated individuals and organizations when choosing financial services providers.

1 Like

Absolutely! 100%! :smiley:

1 Like

Barrigan, I understand where you’re coming from. I have a positive expectancy as I suspect many if not all the BP staff does and many of the posters. It is a good place to learn the basics and get feedback.

I would like to correct one oxymoron about the 95% thing. It is simply if not true. The problem lies in the way the data is collected, analyzed and reported. First off the folks who make up this statistic used open and closed accounts and didn’t take into logic if the same trader did both. That I find is the biggest issue. Investing.com did a very large study of traders trades and found that (I’ll try to remember the stats as best I can) 55% of the trades were placed on the correct side. That by itself would be enough to be profitable. But the outcome was not profitable for the majority. Why it’s a little item often overlooked by the traders emotions called cash management.

1 Like

Hi Midwest.
At first glance your comment would appear correct, but because the average size of losses is far greater than the size of wins, it doesn’t work out as you would expect.

1 Like

eddied, if you read the rest of my small statement I went on to say something about cash management! which you article get into a little bit in the follow up. I personally have an excellent win-loss ratio but doesn’t say I’m going to be profitable by it self.

So we must look at position sizing in relationship to the account size and momentum of
the pair.

Rookie rules:

1. always use a stop loss
  2. never place a trade greater than 2% of the account size, 1% is much better.
  3. never have more than 5% of the account size at risk from the total trades
  4. never exceed 1/2% of the account size in total open positions.

I was trading at a 0.01 quantity until I got a handle on the rules passed on to me.
Once I was consistently profitable then I started with position sizing but still according to the sound money management rules presented above.

Frankly if all street traders did this then it would just be us against the big boys. So not for nothing human nature being what it is makes the zero sum game profitable for the select few that understand cash management rules.

3 Likes

Midwest, I wasn’t disagreeing with you and I did read the rest. I think it’s just one of those instances were something gets lost in translation on the Internet.

Namaste

I agree with some points. But I don’t agree that this materials are not helpful. Of course good materials are the key components. Like in a class everyone read the same text book but the final outcome of every student is different. It’s all about how you understand the things. How much passion you have for your work.

1 Like