I need help with Metatrader4 / Closing my trades for loss when TP hit (?)

Hello guys for the second time Metatrader has been stopping my trades (?) EVEN when I hit my take profit! Take a look at this:

As you can see in this image, my trade was closed for a loss because it hits the SL of 0.96648 = -5.93
But if we check this image below what do we see?

The candle didn’t reach the 0.96648 ZONE (the blue line) but hit my TP (the red line)! Is this normal?
I don’t understand why Metatrader just closed my trade for a loss of 5 dollars when I was supposed to be profiting + 50$

Someone see what’s going on? Am I not taking something in consideration?

P.S: I do have capital on my account, the trade closed alone…

you entered at SELL TRADE AT 0.96652 with a stop of 0.96648 and a takeprofit of 0.96507

entry: 0.96652
stop: 0.96648
tp: 0.96507

ok, that is a weird trade…

how did you enter a stop that is below your entry? and your tp is (0.00004) below your entry?

what is your broker, please?

my metatrader wont let me enter a stoploss on a sell that is lower than my entry/current price? not usually, anyways…

why is the stoploss a lower number than the tp on a sell trade?

is this a demo account?

From my understanding, correct me if I’m wrong though. The trade was in your favor and you moved stop loss to break even.

Now, my questions are:

1. What’s the spread of the pair? May I know what broker you are using if you don’t mind also.
  2. Was there a news event before it went down to your TP?

mine either, I’m just confused now…

1 Like

something is not right here…

how can you have a sell trade where the stoploss is lower than the current price?

unless i am overlooking something here, my metatrader dont work like that.

That’s why I assume that the trade went in his favor then he moved SL to BE. I’ve no idea also. Anyway, let’s see if he’s replying or not.

I love puzzles. :smiley:
First of, there are few things we need to connect:

1. Your position was taken at 2023/09/25 17:16:49
  2. The TradingView screen shot was taken at 2023/09/25 17:21:45.
  3. Your short position tool is not on the proper time you had entered the position.
  4. The low of that candle you are referring to as being the price that hit your TP happened (2023/09/25 17:01) before you entered the trade.

(You can click on the link below if the image is not clear)
    TradingView Chart — TradingView

CONCLUSION:

1. You entered at the wrong time of the day when spreads were at their peak level.
  2. Your SL was not hit, you got stop out due to insufficient free margin. (from the look of your previous trades’ commissions paid and your SL price).
  3. You are using a very high leverage.

RECOMMENDATION:
Go back to learning the basics. Don’t rush the process. It will help you a lot.

This is based on my investigations.
Also, if you click on the link, I don’t know how it is going to display because my time zone and yours are different (Yours is EDT, mine is GMT)
Disclaimer: I am not a certified investigator. I just love solving puzzles

That’s exactly what happened. The trade was on my favor and I moved the sl to break even.
Just checked the spread for that time specifically (around 5pm) and it was around 5 (?) This is a lot now that I see

Basically, the trade went on my favor and I moved the SL to brake even.

Alright.

Did you understood about the “hit my TP” issue?

Okay. You get stopped out due to spread then. At least I think so. Because if I calculated from your entry to your TP, it’s only 14.5 pips (Correct me if I’m wrong). When you moved your SL to BE, high spreads stopped you out.

Well, in my opinion, I think it would be best that you avoid EURCHF in general because this pair won’t move so much in terms of pips. If there’s a setup in EURCHF, maybe check EURJPY/EURCAD/EURUSD etc. if it’s also make sense there. In fact, anything pairing with CHF most of the time doesn’t move that much.

If you still wanted to trade EURCHF, before open any trade, please check the pip travel distance for your TP first. If it’s less than 20 pips. Just trade other pair instead. The spread vs volatility of the pair is not worth enough for you to take the risk.

2 Likes

Sorry for not answering your answer before!

I checked everything you told me and the only conclusion I came to was the spread and the insufficient free margin you talked about…
At the moment, I’m experimenting a broker so I’m using a demo with good capital, that’s why I’m also trading with higher leverage/lot size. Of course, I started with low capital but I was able to increase it and wanted to test higher leverage and how it works. This situation impressed me a bit…

I’m glad I was able to understand this before going to a live! :grin:

1 Like

Thank you for your help!
From your answers I suppose it was a stop due to spreads… I’m going to search more about it.

It’s funny because usually, I don’t trade EUR/(ANY) pairs. It was my first time :sweat_smile: maybe I’m going to keep away from any EUR pair.

I would like to know more about the behaviour between pairs, do you have any docs or website articles where I can learn about it? I usually trade CAD/JPY / CAD/CHF / AUDUSD

https://www.babypips.com/learn/forex/undergraduate-senior#currency-correlations

Thank you flamingo, gonna check this!

You can also check on this in case you’re interested in currency correlation.

Not sure, but there should be a range between the price, the SL and the TP. All of them are ok?