I’m looking for high-level backtesting software to test my scalping strategies and I wonder if the data they provide is accurate enough to allow me to test short-term setups that require high accuracy(5m time-frame and lower).
I’ve had a desktop ForexTester for a long while and I signed up to beta-test FTO - their online version in 2024. The desktop is nice cause it requires no fast internet connection and uses preloaded data. The bad thing about it is that tick data, required for lower timeframes backtesting and especially scalping comes with extra costs.
FTOnline comes with tick data included in the pro bundle. It is now PRO, used to be just one plan for all up until the beginning of August. The good thing - lifetime subscription is still available and data refreshes up to yesterday’s market close every day. Being serious about tyrading career - the investment is worth it.
As beta-tester giving Forex Tester reviews and feedback on their soft for a long while, I can say they’ve done a great job over this year. Half a year ago I wouldn’t have recommended the software (online one) due to numerous bugs. Yet, the ones I’ve been concerned with (like daylight saving switch time issues, some general user flow bugs, wrong defaults for exotic instrumets settings, etc) - my bug reports have all been fixed now.
Overall FTOnline has more advanced features like smart anayltics, more settings, prop challenge mode, ICT indicators. DEsktop FT is more basic but at the same time feels more reliable…idk why. Maybe cause its got an MT-like interface. Both are quite good for backtesting purposes and the choice depends on whether you prefer offline desktop or go for browserbased modern interface with ‘smart’ features to make backtesgting faster. You really can’t backtest scalping strategies with TV or NInja bar-by-bar, not many other options with tick data on the market, really.
Does backtesting really make sense, guys??? I mean they want us to backtest, but we can make that on a demo account it seems like. It’s like you are paying for data that is on the left side of your current chart, you can just scroll back and apply your strategies for literally free. Must be a waste of money, don’t understand the point of it still ![]()
People vary.
For me it does.
I know I wouldn’t have been a profitable trader over the last two years, without any reliable backtesting facilities and some statistical understanding.
How to decide which ones are worth doing that with, though?
A question for you: would you prefer to investigate further a strategy which you’ve quickly run through a decade’s tick data without it ever having had a losing year, or one which might have had a long-term edge, or might not, but you can’t actually tell which?
Since you require high accuracy, Forex Tester is delivering on this front… but keep in mind it has certain limitations like you can’t test algo trading, for example… and it’s paid, too so check if it worth it for your needs