If you could become an expert in any field, which one would you choose?

Have you ever wanted to become great at something you enjoy? If you had the chance to become an expert in any field, what would it be and why?

2 Likes

Engineering and astrophysics. I’d be able to fix anything as well as anything in space.

I can fix your microwave with a paperclip and duct tape. Then, on Asgard, I can help extract the Aether from your girlfriend.

1 Like

I’ve always wanted to master music production. It’s amazing how you can create emotions and tell stories through sound.

1 Like

Yes, and I have spent my whole life doing that over a student and career span of over 50 years. And I still don’t know what I want to do when I grow up. :joy: My next “time consumer” may well be devops software development, but I am pretty sure I will be asking an AI engine to show me examples of specific languages rather than going for a conventional course that is specific to a particular code. Right now APIs fascinate me (applications programming interfaces) with regard to two subject matters - what traders call EAs (not enterprise architects - the other type - Expert somethingoranother. The other relates to data acquisition, analysis and interpretation, related to trading and investment in Forex, stocks, commodities and crypto. I am half way through a book I bought over a year ago titled Dark Pools by Scott Patterson, also author of a New York Times best seller called The Quants. This will give me the background as a starting point that defines my strategy for software programming (what I want to achieve by looking into software integration architecture and why), and the rest depends on whether I can allocate sufficient time to it which will mean dropping another current interest. The best part - life is rarely boring.

2 Likes

I’d like to be a concert pianist.

But it’s not going to happen, because I’m not good, or talented, enough, and especially because I haven’t done my 10,000 hours of practice when I was young enough, and it’s too late, now.

1 Like

I’d like to have more languages. There just isn’t the time to become fluent in the language of places where you don’t live. Best I can manage is to always ensure I can at least make polite requests and remarks in the language of the country I’m in.

2 Likes

What are five languages you wanna learn? Or are there more than five?

Italian, German, Spanish, Portugues straight away. The fifth might be Russian.

2 Likes

Spanish gives you the biggest choice of countries (after English, I mean). Not French, or do you already speak that?

I’m already OK in French, yes.

1 Like

That sounds like fun! That’d be so cool to travel and put those language skills to use!

It’s great to make yourself understood by people in their own country who only want to say as much as “Good morning” or “How are you?” or “Can I help you?”.

2 Likes

I think mass adoption of apps is just around the corner. I made 4 trips to Albania in the last six months to visit relatives, and used the camera app to read menus and public notices. I had planned to learn the stuff like hello, good morning, how are you, etc, but was too busy with the extended family. And in Tirana, 80% speak English - good and bad for my learning. Here is what my artificial friend has to say in suimmary:

You

can language translation applications make real time conversation feasible for ordinary tourists?

Copilot

Certainly! Language translation applications have revolutionized communication for ordinary tourists, making real-time conversations feasible even in foreign lands. Here are the advantages of using these apps:

1. Instant Translation:
  • Translation apps provide real-time conversion of spoken or written language.
  • Tourists can communicate with locals, ask for directions, order food, and negotiate prices without language barriers.
  1. Wide Language Support:
  • These apps cover a vast range of languages, from common ones like English, Spanish, and French to less widely spoken languages.
  • Tourists can confidently explore various destinations without worrying about language limitations.
  1. Text and Voice Translation:
  • Most apps offer both text and voice translation.
  • Tourists can type phrases or speak directly into the app for instant translations.
  1. Offline Mode:
  • Some apps work offline, which is crucial when you’re in areas with limited internet connectivity.
  • Download language packs in advance to use the app without data or Wi-Fi.
  1. Camera Translation:
  • Point your phone’s camera at signs, menus, or written text, and the app will translate it instantly.
  • This feature is incredibly useful for reading street signs, menus, and information boards.
  1. Learning Phrases:
  • Translation apps often include phrasebooks with common expressions.
  • Tourists can learn basic greetings, thank-yous, and essential phrases specific to their destination.
  1. Cultural Sensitivity:
  • Some apps provide context and cultural nuances for translated phrases.
  • Tourists can avoid unintentionally offending locals by using appropriate language.
  1. Cost-Effective:
  • Translation apps are usually free or available at a minimal cost.
  • They save tourists from hiring expensive local guides or interpreters.

Remember that while these apps enhance communication, learning a few local phrases and respecting cultural norms also enriches your travel experience. Bon voyage!

5 Likes

An expert at Multiple musical instruments… or music in general… Absolute super power :slight_smile:

1 Like

Great combinations! I like learning about space too.

1 Like

When I was young, I always dreamed of learning to play the violin.

1 Like

Awww! I’ve always loved the piano too :melting_face:

1 Like

If I had the chance, I’d love to become an expert in portrait photography.

Cool! Have you had any experience with it so far?

I’m always amazed watching concert pianists perform. They’re incredibly talented and make playing the piano look so effortless.

1 Like