IG Market - Account currency, confusion and thoughts of a newbie

Hello,
Did a live trade yesterday and a smaller loss (well well) and since I am new to FX I am not 100% sure about the structure of the market so I am wondering the following:

My account currency is SEK and I am mainly trading in cable and eurodollar (have been demo trading for a while and will continue to do so, the small live trade yesterday was mainly to dip my toe in the water).

Do I expose myself to additional currency risk when I trade a pair that is not my account currency?

I guess so because from the daily statement I got this morning there was a line for “conversion rate” that was between EURUSD and SEK after I closed the trade.

How do I calculate for this in my trading?

Is this conversion charged on the whole position? Or is it just on my margin requirement? If it is just on my own capital of the trade and not on my whole position then it is almost negligible since it will be 1/30th of the position (I am thinking correct? With 1:30 leverage).
Is there a cheat sheet out there one can use to calculate the cost of the additional currency exposure?

Forex.com answered it here: Question about selling and buying but the answer contradicts my statement I got this morning and hence why I started this thread.

I had this with EURO in the past, the understanding I got was that MT4 can only operate with a fixed exchange rate, back then it was 0.70 USD to Euro

The answer to your first question, about currency risk, is: Yes, there is currency risk associated with a trade in which the quote currency of the pair you are trading does not match your account currency. But, normally, we do not try to estimate this risk in advance of a trade.

During the time that your EUR/USD trade was open, your P/L (profit or loss) was occurring in USD (the quote currency of the pair your were trading), and the value of that P/L in SEK was subject to change as the USD/SEK exchange rate changed.

I hope that the following explanation will make this a little clearer.

In your post, you didn’t mention the size of your EUR/USD position, or the size of your loss. So, in order to answer your question, I will use some hypothetical numbers.

Let’s say you that your position size was one micro-lot (0.01 standard lot), and let’s say that you took a loss of 20 pips in your EUR/USD trade.

Pips are fractions of a unit of the quote currency in the pair being traded. In your trade, USD was the quote currency, so the 20 pips you lost represented an amount in US dollars. Specifically, because you were trading one micro-lot, each pip was worth 0.10 USD. Therefore, the total loss on your trade was 2 USD (20 pips x 0.10 USD).

But, your account currency is SEK. Accordingly, your trading platform reports P/L (and all other values) in SEK. So, your platform converted your USD loss to SEK using the USD/SEK exchange rate at the time your trade was closed.

Let’s say USD/SEK was 8.9700 at the time your EUR/USD trade was closed. Your platform would then have converted your 2 USD loss to 17.94 SEK, and that figure would have appeared in your P/L.

1 Like

Ok. Thanks!

So it is just based on your capital not the whole position if I read your reply correct? Meaning that it really does not matter that much since leverage in FX is 1:30 or more?

If it in your quote above refers to the currency risk you were asking about, then the answer is:
No, that currency risk (associated with the fluctuating exchange rate between USD and SEK) is not tied to your capital, or to the notional value of your position. And the 30:1 maximum leverage associated with your account has nothing to do with it, either.

That currency risk is tied to the profit or loss generated in your trade.

We need to be very clear about terminology here. Otherwise, we will continue to talk past one another.

Let’s use a hypothetical trade as an example, in order to define our terminology.

Let’s say you have 10000 SEK in a live account. You have no open trades. You decide to trade one micro-lot (1000 units) of EUR/USD at a price of 1.1350. This position has a notional value of 1000 EUR.

In order to open your position, your broker requires initial margin of 3.333% of the notional value of your position. (This margin amount corresponds to the 30:1 maximum leverage associated with your account.) That is, your broker requires the SEK equivalent of 33.33 EUR as initial margin.

As soon as your position is opened, that initial margin requirement is replaced by a smaller margin amount, typically called “maintenance margin”, which (typically) is one-half of the initial margin amount. In other words, for the duration of your open position, the SEK equivalent of 16.67 EUR will be “placed in escrow”, or set aside, as maintenance margin, to “secure” your open position.

Let’s say that your trade results in a loss of 20 pips. As in the example in my previous post, individual pips are worth 0.10 USD ($0.10) because your position size is one micro-lot, and USD is the quote currency in the pair you are trading. Your 20-pip loss is worth 2 USD ($2.00), as in the previous example.

The currency risk you are concerned about has to do with changes in the USD/SEK exchange rate during the time that your EUR/USD trade is open. Let’s say USD/SEK was 8.8000 when you entered your trade, and USD/SEK was 8.9700 when you exited your trade. That’s a 2% appreciation in the value of USD versus SEK. Or, to say it another way, it’s a 2% decline in the value of SEK versus USD.

Okay, now let’s define some terms.

Your trading capital, or simply your capital, is the 10000 SEK in your account.

Your position size (what you referred to as your “whole position”) is the notional value of your trade; that is, 1000 EUR, which was worth 9988 SEK (hypothetically) at the time you opened your trade (8.8000 SEK per USD x 1.1350 USD per EUR).

The loss from your EUR/USD trade was 20 pips = 2 USD. At the time you entered this trade, 2 USD equaled 17.6 SEK (at USD/SEK = 8.8000). At the time you closed your trade, 2 USD equaled 17.94 SEK (at USD/SEK = 8.9700). That is, the effect of the change in the USD/SEK exchange rate, during the time that your trade was open, increased the size of your loss by 0.34 SEK.

This additional loss, due to the “currency risk” you are asking about, was not related in any way to the amount of your capital, to the margin supporting your trade, to the size of your position, or to either the maximum allowable leverage associated with your account or the actual leverage you were using in this trade.

If the same trade described above had resulted in break-even (no profit, no loss), the effect of the currency risk would have been zero.

Obviously, the USD/SEK currency risk in this trade could work for you, if the USD/SEK exchange rate happened to decline (meaning SEK appreciated versus USD) while your trade was open. In this case, if your trade resulted in profit, the decline in USD/SEK would add to your profit. And if your trade resulted in loss, the decline in USD/SEK would reduce your loss.

Sorry for the length of this reply. I hope it clears up the confusion.

1 Like

Thank you so much for this! Awesome post! :grinning: