Income Tax / Capital gains Tax on Forex

Hi im new here, im 21 years old and am thinking about starting to trade forex with a live account . ive been on a ‘game’ account for a year and have had great success. The thing that i am confused about is the Tax situation with money earned from forex trading. I thought that any money made from forex was free from any tax but now ive just read that this only applies to spread betting companies and not Forex brokers … i think. So whats the deal with tax and forex ? Do i have to pay both income and CGT ? I live in London.

Thanks

I was about to post something but it’s for US traders. Do some google searching and see what comes up.

EDIT: I did some searching and found this, UK tax on futures trading? | Trade2Win Forums

Apparently it’s a lot like the states where it’s classified as a capital gains tax.

Again call around some tax preparers and see what they say.

Many purist traders are anti spread betting. Whilst I would not trade a 6 figure account this way, it is a simple method of trading, tax free and the resultant bottom line is comparable. By using reputable companies there is no more risk than using a broker and can often be far easier to open an initial account.

hi thanks for the repl … i was wondering, why would you not trade a 6 figure accont with a spread betting company ?

With larger investments sometimes the requote is prohibitive or just unfilled due to volume handled

If youre working for a bank or hedge fund and salaried/ bonus its a non starter, you pay income tax and capital gains… bummer. :mad:

But if your a retail/ private trader then there are steps that can be taken to greatly mitigate the tax burden. I suggest when your earning a six figure income looking into the big players in accountancy and law firms. With a little legal two step you can get your taxes down to around 10%. :slight_smile:

What if Forex trading was my only/sole income … would i have to pay CGT and Income tax. i wouldnt mind paying CGT if a broker is the best option … i think its 18% here in the UK.

Can anyone recommend a good broker or spread betting company. i was thinking about using Barclays, FXCM or IG index

Hi Dan
I have used IG index and Capital spreads for over 5 years with no problem
good luck

December 2009’s edition of “Technical Analysis of Stocks and Commodities” has an article on page 64 titled “UK Tax Implications for Currency Traders”, but I think this was targeted more at US traders with accounts in the UK. Still, they talk about UK tax laws there.

I’m pretty sure - 95%! that it’s CGT at 10%, also remember the N.I. contributions at £5 or so a month, that is if your income as opposed to the Capital Gains is more than about £5k per year.
I think that’s it really.