Index MT4 SL and TP

Hello Traders.
Does anyone know how to calculate the S.L and T.P for indexes on the MT4 platform? Apart from Forex, I love to trade S&P500 and SPI200, but I’m not entirely sure how to calculate my S.L and T.P. My calculations never match what MT4 has calculated as my S.L or T.P value.

The SPI200 has a contract size of 25. Usually I work out the difference between entry and my stop and convert the points to pips, then I divide it by the volume size and times it by the contract size. Sometimes it works.

But, If I only want to risk $100.00, how do I work this out? Do I have to convert points to pips, and how do I work out what volume to enter?

Many thanks

Samantha

To calculate stop loss and take profit, I make simple calculations:
Take Profit = opening price + price change in points and Stop Loss = opening price – price change in points.
I am not sure how others are doing it.

1 Like

If you have a demo MT4 then enter say a buy at market.

Then on the green order line on the chart hold down left mouse button and drag down and release (SL) then same thing again only drag up (TP)

Then back to green line (cursor best exactly on the line) and right click - then choose ‘modify order’

Now you can read the numbers for SL and TP - good way to learn :slight_smile:

Edit - if you hover over tp or sl line a tooltip will appear showing the value in money of either the profit or loss

1 Like

thank you. helps a lot. :slight_smile:

Hello, thank you for the great advice. :slight_smile:

1 Like