Insights from a 14+ year trading veteran

I have had a few users ask me to post about my strategy but trading isn’t really so much about the particular strategy you use. It’s more about how you approach the markets.

I have been trading for over 14 years. I pay my bills with trading and have for 11+ years. I want to share a little of what I have learned over the years from various mentors and my own trading experiences.

Take what you like from my posts and leave what you don’t. I am not at all interested in arguing with anyone over trading methods or strategies. My bills are paid on time and there is always food on the table for my family. This is what matters to me. Freedom.

I wanted to start this topic and introduce myself a bit today. I will have a follow up post soon.

I look forward to sharing what I’ve learned and hope to help others and will respond honestly from my experiences to any genuine questions.

For now, I leave you with one of my favorite and most motivational quotes by Alexander Elder.

You can be free. You can live and work anywhere in the world. You can be independent from routine and not answer to anybody.”

102 Likes

Now THIS should be an interesting thread. Looking forward to future posts. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I believe trading is less about how you approach the market and more about the strategy you use. If you can share that, it would be very helpful.

1 Like

Very exciting, can’t wait!

1 Like

Are you there @thetradinggod…?

It’s me, Margaret…

4 Likes

When I first decided I wanted to trade I knew I needed a strategy. All I could think was indicators or just price charts? I had little hope for being able to follow the fundamentals of instruments. I didn’t think I could follow fundamentals nor did I really have the time to invest in reading indepth about them. I had read a few trading books about trading candlesticks. Found out on the internet about some Legendary Japanese rice trader named Homma Munehisa and that he built his fortune trading the rice market with candlesticks. Which prompted in me a curiousity about trading price.

My first strategy was trading stochastic overbought and oversold signals. Well, that account blew. I then tried memorizing candlestick patterns to see if that was the secret. Oh look there is a doji that means a reversal! Oops another blown account. Ok. Lesson learned. I should just paper trade until I prove I’m profitable. A profitable month and half paper trading with an indicator based strategy and Its time to go live again. Uh oh, real money on the line. Emotions. Another blown account. I did a good bit of strategy hopping my first year. I’d get something that tested positive mess up my risk management rules and then revenge trade because I had to make it back. Did my share of overtrading as well.

A group I was apart of had a new member join and he was a trader. This is my first mentor. He showed me that he traded profitably by just slowing down.

You have to get off these low time frames. They are too full of noise. You can trade profitably with indicators or just looking at a price chart. Most of the strategies you have traded would of made you money had you of just stuck them out” he told me.

Hmmm…

Look, I lose the majority of my trades, I don’t make much but I am profitable at the end of the year and that’s more than most ever do in the markets.

I wanted to know more.

I take my trades following the long term trend of whatever I am trading. I set my stop far enough away that on average even if it moved against me from the moment I entered it would take 2-3 days to take me out. I win 2 to 3 times what I lose on any losing trade. I won’t lie to you, I lose all the time. I had a year where I lost at least 65 to 70% of my trades but I still came out with a tiny profit and I felt proud. I was the only person I knew in real life that ever made a single penny from the market.” He half bragged.

This was a breakthrough for me. I needed to give my strategies time to play out and to quote George Soros:

It’s not whether you’re right or wrong, but how much money you make when you’re right and how much you lose when you’re wrong.

Lesson 1: Whatever strategy you are using you have got to give it time to produce results for you.

Every strategy has its losers and winners and they come randomly. That doesn’t make you a bad trader or your strategy necessarily wrong. When my first mentor said he lost 65-70% of his trades that meant had he taken 100 trades he lost 65 to 70 trades out of 100 only winning 35 to 30 trades. He had more losing streaks than winning streaks. Some were long and they were not fun but when he finished out that year with about 100 dollars profit in his trading account he was thrilled.

32 Likes

Thanks for the insight. Can’t wait to hear more.

3 Likes

How many profitable strategies do you believe exist? Just 1? 10? 15?

Do you believe there are traders trading profitably with only “price action”?

Do you believe there are traders trading profitably with only indicators aka an algorithm?

Do you believe there are any traders trading profitably with a combination of price action and a few indicators?

2 Likes

All I believe is what you said until you give me a reason not to believe you. You said you’ve been trading for 11+ years and paying your bills. So if you could share the way you trade, it would be very helpful. I dont know how many profitable strategies there are, I can only go by what people say. Your word is your bond.

3 Likes

Sure. And please don’t think I am trying to be confrontational or anything like that.
I am not here to argue only share my take and experience.

I have traded in a firm that had successful traders of all types and traded very differently than I do but I noticed that the profitable ones had a very similar patience and mindset even with different strategies. See I could have a losing trade that is another traders win and my win his loss. We could both have around a 45% to 50% hit rate and both be profitable.

I will have another post soon!

4 Likes

Thought I was reading my own history there for a second. I also traded over bought/sold stochastics and candlestick patterns as my primary strategy years ago when I started. Let’s see what you got tradinggod :wink:

3 Likes

I’m so happy and excited for this! :smiley: Haha. I’ve been curious about your approach, and although it may not be for everybody, still would love to learn something new from you! :blush:

4 Likes

Aww, thanks!! That is my hope to share something from my experience that will help someone.

I am not here to offend anyone or sell anything. If what I do doesn’t work for you that is fine but if you can take something and use it please take it!

At the end of the day the real test for a trader is are you profitable? If you are, there is no reason not to stick to what you have. I don’t trade exactly like any of my mentors.

If you have questions or simply want my opinion ask! :slight_smile:

10 Likes

Thank youuuu! I’m loving the energy of people today! :blush: Haha.

Definitely! :smiley: Haha. You might have to dumb it down a bit for me though. :sweat_smile: But I’ll definitely check out future posts on this thread! :blush:

More volume please, am feeling your vibe

Great insights. Some of this post I have lived and some of it I could have written.

Keep at it.

I finally settled into trading pullbacks of the trend at clear Support or Resistance levels when there was also a stochastic oversold or overbought signal. I still fell into over leveraging, placing a stop a little too close and getting stopped out only to have price go my direction over the next days, or getting scared out of a position when it moved just a little against me.

I managed to do this profitably for a little over a year and through some contacts landed an opportunity to be trained at a humble prop firm. This is when my real learning began.

You know, I started out trading thinking about how I could flip one thousand dollars into one million. It was sweet.

It never happened. I did add to some “winners” a few times aka overleverage some “winners” and made some huge returns but that was short lived. I am a short term trader. There wasn’t any real clear place to add to or even determine if my trade was a “winner.” In a longer term trend following strategy I have seen traders add to winners on pull backs but as a more short term trader price reversed and took back the gains in the end.

I say this to tell you you have to be realistic. If you aren’t sufficiently funded it isn’t going to work. When I first traded for a firm the new traders were on leashes. Yes, they let us lose a few grand which in the long run wasn’t a big deal with the amount of capital available but it was a wake up call. You started to pay attention. Once you proved yourself profitable with some training you were given a sort of advance to live off of and an income target. My first income target was not too crazy. Make $100,000 in a year. My trading capital to do this was $400,000. I was ready to hit the charts and get going aka force trades.

My mentor pulled me aside and said “Let’s do some math. $100,000 is what? 25% of $400,000?”

Correct.

“Ok.” He told me, “So you need to make how much a month to hit that?”

$8,334?

“Let’s call it $8,500. So your max risk on a trade is…?”

1%

" So with just a 2:1 Risk Reward Ratio each winner is $8,000?"

Yes.

“So you need one and half winning trades per month and your knocking this out of the park? One 3:1 trade a month and your 44,000 dollars over target.”

I walked out of this meeting with a whole new perspective. I didn’t need to hit the charts with a vengance. I didn’t need to take sloppy entries. I just needed to wait for the highest quality entries and trade those. So what if it was only one a month or if there wasn’t even a trade to take that month. I had 12 months to do it.

I was also impacted by how easy trading became with proper funding.

Your income goals from trading need to be realistic. Unfortunately for a $1,000 dollar account 25% is $250 for the year. You can of course make more. Your trading strategy will most likely give you more than one quality winning trade a month and yes I have seen traders “flip” a $1,000 account into $20,000 with insane risk but that won’t be most of you and even if it is once, it will most likely be short lived.

There is a sort of olive branch though. I spent my second year proving I was profitable with low capital and got on with a firm. I even know some traders who got on with a firm with just a demo account but they do prefer to see live real money results.

So lesson number 2: Be realistic with your trading goals. It makes trading a lot less stressful and a lot more achievable.

I wasn’t given a challenge to double my account my first year, let alone those I see trying to triple or 10x their account every single month.

Yes, Forex provides a lot of leverage to hang yourself with and that’s honestly the point. You have to have some strict rules when using leverage mainly being that the position size you take = 1% or less of your account at your stoploss. Brokers and "big, bad"institutional traders like myself :wink: love the over leveraged “dumb money.” And luckily it will always be there. If you currently fall into this group don’t feel bad or be discouraged I did too when I first started out.

33 Likes

I want to point out here that trading overbought or oversold signals can be profitable if these signals occur at the right place on a chart. An overbought or oversold signal will hold much more weight on a 8HR or daily chart than a 5-15min chart and the level at which it occurs is very important.

The same can be said for my candle stick trading phase. Candlesticks can be part of a profitable system for sure but drilling down to lower and lower time frames to find a head and shoulders or doji pattern forming isn’t the way. Once again a pattern forming on a higher time frame 4HR 8HR or Daily is going to be a much higher probability set up, and as traders all we are doing is dealing with what is most probable to happen and then managing our emotions during the uncertainty of any open trade. A doji can signal a reversal but go ahead and take a peak at a low time frame chart, dojis everywhere!! A doji can be a high probability entry for a reversal if it is forming at the right level on a higher time frame though.

I finally became profitable when I began trading “price action” with the trend and both candlesticks and stochastic readings combined at key levels.

This is not the exact way I currently trade, but is how I first became profitable. (Profitable does not mean a millionaire :slight_smile: )

17 Likes

This is great stuff. Its like you’re posting my diary.

4 Likes

I would like to point out something as it is currently on my mind after going over my charts. I trade many currency pairs and will have a post about this later. When I began trading in firms there were traders who traded different sessions and different markets. For example, Asian session and instruments from Asia. With this experience I am confident branching out to many markets. I currently am in profit on a short on USD/SEK. I understand the spread may seem intimidating but the pair moves enough to cover it with a valid signal. Yes, my TP is a few thousand pips as well as my Stop being in the thousands but this trade is better than a 2:1 RR and this pair easily moves 500+ pips a day.

Please keep in mind it would be to late to enter this short and have a favorable RR, this is not a signal and I am not a signal provider (Your strategy should be your signal provider), and I have no idea how this trade will open Monday. Fortunately, if it hits my TP or SL I will be okay and on to waiting for the next high probability setup my strategy produces.

7 Likes