Interview with trader Blayne Macauley

7 Likes

Aww she seems so nice! Thanks for sharing this interview!

Thanks @ponponwei , she is indeed! Did you like the interview? Could you relate to her experience of social media and trading?

1 Like

She’s very smart, and very nice. And she’s a profitable trader. It didn’t seem like she had much of a struggle becoming profitable in trading. That’s awesome for her.

I was with her, up until she said ¨we need more women¨ in trading. That’s when I rolled my eyes.

She said she’s been hurt over the past two months because some people on twitter don’t like her. In regard to that, she needs to toughen up her leather. She’s helping people by sharing her story, and she’s making money as a rookie in trading. Why would she worry what some knuckleheads on twitter think? Whatever.

I find it hard to respect people who appear to be good at something with seemingly little effort. She started trading during covid, which is quite recent and she has been doing well already? How can I not be jealous? But that’s my problem, not hers. I certainly wouldn’t bother ranting on twitter about it and questioning her trades, or accuse her of paper trading. How could that possibly help me? I’d rather use her story as motivation.

It’s a good interview. She seems very cool headed, which may explain why she’s advanced so well.

Thanks for the interview!!

2 Likes

Thanks Dushimes. Yes, it was a good interview, very honest. I felt the pain because some of it, e.g. how lonely trading can be - many hours in front of unforgiving markets - may be difficult to explain to someone who has not been there. If you do not work in that industry, you often have only social media to connect with other people who trade financials. But then, you often find that people say things that can be very cutting and if you do not yet have unwavering belief in yourself - especially as a newer trader who does something else for a living - it is not easy to shrug them off, particularly when those comments come at a time when you have publicly shared a low moment such as a margin call or a large loss. Some people love to kick someone when they are down. I think what you say is truer when those commenting may be unknown to you, but if they are someone closer to you then those words will stick more and will not be so easy to shrug off.

We are all different, but in the end everyone will get hurt by someone somewhere, online as offline, and it is not easy having your shields up at all times or else we could never put trust in human relationships (where you need to let people into your life thus making yourself vulnerable to them). Many a Roman emperor was assassinated by people that were trusted and against whom they had not kept their defences up… So this is where online comments are most hurtful: when they are not from total strangers.

4 Likes

Right. This was a good point also. I can definitely relate to that. She said she has kept it rather private, but when people found out, they were rather supportive.

That’s certainly helpful. However, it’s a lot easier to tell people you’re trading when you’re profitable. It’s kinda like gambling is only a problem when you lose. People’s argument against you and your trading has no logic if you’re consistently profitable. Tell them to go kick rocks. Then again, that’s easier for men than for women. Females are generally more agreeable.

Well, that’s the rub, ain’t it? But she’s already profitable, new trader or not. If people don’t want to believe her, what does she have to gain by trying to convince them? Also, that’s easily fixed with a video of live trading.

Absolutely, but that’s the price you pay for entering the public space, isn’t it? You can’t expect everyone to be nice to you. That’s not how the world works. Besides, I’m sure she has more fans than haters. The haters will never be satisfied, why pay them any attention?

Nope, not easy. But you learn to navigate the world, and you learn when to let your guard down and when to raise it up high.

But you know what? No matter what ugly comments may bother her, all she has to do is go give her husband a hug or play with her kids for five seconds, and they will remind her what’s really important in life. Easy peasy lemon squeezy.

Again, great interview. She really seems like a nice person, and I’m happy for her that she’s doing well. Thanks!!

2 Likes

Some interesting dynamics alluded to there. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Maybe she’s new to social media, or at least sharing on social. I could see how people trolling you could put you in a bad place, but like you, who cares what these fools think (unless it’s legitimate criticism on something I can fix)… But like you said, use it as motivation. Keep doing what you’re doing. For yourself, not anybody else.

Good stuff @PipMeHappy!

2 Likes

More about the loneliness I suppose. Like you can have a ton of online friends but at the end of the day, it’ll still just be you by yourself.

Yeah definitely gutsy for someone to post their actual identitiy online and doing something finance-related… as a woman! I feel like it must be very hard for women to be taken seriously in spaces that are generally male-dominated like finance or gaming.

2 Likes

OMG :open_mouth: I can’t believe I only saw this now. :open_mouth: It’s interesting to see how the pandemic basically led/ reintroduced her to forex trading, and now she’s a profitable trader! :blush: I also love how she shared her trading strategy/ routine in a very detailed way! :blush:

This one’s another amazing interview @PipMeHappy! :smiley: She seems super lovely. <3

2 Likes

It’s also hard for men to be taken seriously as well. It’s not necessarily gender-specific. Men have to earn respect from other men, just like women do. The problem is that women have lower tolerances for a lot of things than men do.

So, that’s the first thing men think of when women try to do something that men are doing. If men are playing football and a girl wants to join, no one in their right mind would want her on their team. She’s going to get hurt, she’s going to complain. Blah blah blah. It will really slow down the game. Hence, men don’t want women involved in the game with them.

When men work in an office and they have a certain culture. If a girl enters, the men already know the culture has to change. It’s really annoying. Naturally, they’re going to defend their space by being mean to her. And finance could be rather aggressive, meaning testosterone is high.

When men’s testosterone is high, that’s not the place for a woman.

I remember one time I was watching a football game on tv with a group of (male) friends. My friend, the host, was getting angry because our team was missing goals. He was getting mad and yelling really loud.

His wife passed by and told him to calm down. Of course, everyone ignored her. But, it ruins the energy in the room when a women puts her two cents into the activity.

When testosterone is up, men don’t like feminine energy.

When men are watching a sports game, and the wife comes in and starts asking questions, it’s really annoying. She’s slowing down the momentum of the activity.

I’m starting to repeat myself, but I hope I’m making my point clear.

The bottom line is that you think it’s hard for women, but it’s even harder for men. Men will hold back less with other men. With women, they’ll often censor themselves.

Regardless, it’s the internet, and social networks can be weird. Another thing to consider is that, when men try hard to do something, and then a girl can do it better, it’s a HUGE blow to the ego.

So rather than facing the fact that ¨hey I still suck as a trader¨, it’s emotionally less risky to just take frustration out on her. In that sense, it may be harder to be accepted into the boys’ club. Some people she’ll never win over. But who cares? Who wants to engage with negative people anyway?

My point is exactly the reverse: that it is KEY that men ‘censor’ (I prefer ‘alter’) their behaviour when a male-only workforce is exposed to diverse staff for the first time. Personally I have worked in (almost) female-only work settings and I noticed how different my experience was compared to a woman entering a male-only environment: the threat is not there, and that is one of the main problems that is often quoted in the experience of women in male-only (or majority male) work cultures. So why can men not ‘censor’ themselves too and stop the crass, harassing, demeaning sexual comments, for example? We have CHOICES: either we want to be a civilised, respectful gender, or be destined to be cavemen incapable of adapting to accommodate people who are not ‘like us’.

This is where I fundamentally disagree, as well, that male-only competitiveness is a force for good: fine to have mates round (guys’ night out; girls’ night out) that are of your gender, but at work it does not always bring this great benefit to be so exclusive. After nearly nine years of starting this thread, it remains the same point of it that, as I mentioned right at the beginning of it, that it was not just banking practices that brought the 2008 crash about, but also a particular male mentality or mindset where high-risk is not only tolerated but accepted and indeed encouraged; historically, women are more risk-averse, which means they are more prudent investors. While crashes and market cycles are complex things, it is not unreasonable to think that if the mentality of high-risk cultures were somehow rebalanced it may not lead to such imbalances: i.e., individual male traits multiplied by large numbers of employees and then companies and nations participating in financial markets can lead to the kind of massive side effects seen in 2008.

While this is speculative, the experience of s e x u a l harassment of women online is REAL and men do not get p e n i s pics sent to them constantly, or r a p e threats or other kinds of intimidation of this nature, which is vile to say the least and leaves the recipients feeling completely unable to continue participating in online discussions. This is a MALE problem and we should open up about why some of our fellow men are doing this TO women while hiding behind keyboards.

So let us not blame women for stepping into work environments that are male and how they should tolerate the consequences, because it seems to me that it is men who need to change here.

It is time for CHANGE,

2 Likes

Interesting perspective. I can see your point. I’m glad we can share opinions even though we see things quite differently. haha

If I never hear other people’s thoughts, how else can I learn, right?

Again, thank you for taking time for these interviews. Please keep them coming!!

2 Likes

Yup this makes sense. Kind of sounds like not being inclusive. Re: your friend’s wife telling her husband to calm down, I understand how that can be a mood killer and perhaps she needs to do her own thing while ya’ll are watching the game lol.

Haha. I think this is something neither of us can say because we both haven’t experienced what it’s like to be a woman AND a man. I can say it’s hard for women but can’t say it’s harder than being a man. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I really think this is a huge factor. I’m glad you had that experience. That definitely shows in the way you write!

They absolutely can. I know a lot of men who are able to do this just fine and do not feel like they’re being “emasculated.” I think being respectful should not be seen as weak.

Amen. The standards will definitely be higher for women but if someone wants to do it, I hope they know they absolutely can! (just won’t be easy)

I actually think about the female presidents a lot and wonder just how much gender is being factored in when it comes to everything they do…

2 Likes

Thanks @ponponwei , some great points there…

I have been reading this book Women and Leadership By Julia Gillard | Used | 9780552177900 | World of Books

and Clinton is one of the politicians interviewed: she talks about how she was judged on her hair on her presidential campaign, among other things… The book interviews several women leaders, from African nations to Scandinavian ones and also former UK prime minister May, and some of the common issues faced by women in politics appear to be across cultural borders: they are indeed global.

I think we have a long way to go…

1 Like

So what? JFK was well-liked, partially because he was a good-looking dude. Public figures get judged by everything. If Clinton doesn’t want to be judged by her hair style, she should wear a hat, so she can be judged by her hat instead.

Everyone gets judged by their hair. Would you go to a job interview without combing your hair?

Well, they want to play the game, that’s their entrance fee. Men face their own challenges in life. Men just have to suck it up.

And if you think women should be equal to men, should we remove the privileges women get over men? Women often get into clubs free. Should that be stopped?

He says it more eloquently than I.

The thing isn’t about hiding hair, or shaving it off, or just hiding under a blanket: women THE MOMENT THEY WALK ON STAGE get judged on their looks by men AND women in the room:
the point in the book that was made is that male colleague politicians would get a suit on and go about their business whereas women were EXPECTED to spend one-to-two hours extra on hair, make-up, choice of attire, etc. It is not a level competition when you judge someone on appearance so heavily that you cannot even hear what they are saying. Read the headlines that appear regularly on newspapers when ‘those’ (u.e. women) politicians meet in public for discussing important issues faced by their countries: “Battle of the babes” I think went the headline when the prime minister of England and the first minister of Scotland met, I think the focus was ON THEIR LEGS. Would you EVER think that is an acceptable way to headline a political meeting between two heads of state? No, it wasn’t the only case. And it distracts from what is being said. I think it is a huge detriment to politics to treat women participants in this way. It shows a complete disregard for their professionalism.

Saying that women have a hard time does not negate the experience of men and of their struggles: nor can we compare their respective struggles in every sense because some of these struggles are gender-specific. This is where just swapping a man for a woman in films may not always translate well.

I acknowledge that we’re not going to see eye to eye on this. haha. So, we’ll just share our opinions, and hopefully others will share their opinions as well.

Women, themselves, base their value on their looks. Hence, cosmetics and hi heels. Same for beauty pageants. Women compare each other on their looks.

Women WANT to be recognized for their appearance. And men like women’s appearance, also. We mostly see a women’s appearance first, then her character.

And just because a woman enters the workplace or political arena, I’m supposed to turn off my biology? Not likely.

Women want to be seen as equals to men, but will never perform equally. Never. There may be a few women who have done well in their endeavors ahead of their male counterparts, but that case is extremely rare.

Women should have the choice to do what they want. But they should also accept the consequences.

Modern women often have trouble accepting that. Women want to be objects of desire, but want to choose when they can be judged by their looks. That’s unrealistic.

That’s just a catchy headline, and they’re trying to pull in readers. But if the newspaper reported more on their legs, than their meeting, that reflects on the newspaper. And it’s probably just a trashy newspaper that shouldn’t be taken too seriously anyway.

But women will always be objects of desire, and their appearance will always distract from their professionalism. That’s the way the world/biology is. If you want it to change, tell women to wear a chador so no one can see any details of their body.

And no, I’m not joking. If women don’t want to be judged by their body, they should cover it completely. Period.

And no make-up either.

@PipMeHappy Don’t you think wearing a chador and no make-up will drastically reduce people judging a woman by her looks?

Please answer this question.

1 Like

Who exactly is “Blaming women” ? - Since the '70’s women have been cultivated and men actively discriminated against in every work and educational respect !

So much so that now 60% of all women in the Western World go to “University” - and if we assume that perhaps 10 % of intelligent women choose Not to go there then we can see that “university degrees” have been dumbed down to the state that only 20% of those who can manage to live independently in society are deemed “unfit” to undertake the learning necessary to “get a degree”.

So a degree is clearly practically a worthless document and indeed 60% of boys nowadays realise this and don’t get conned into the lifetime of paying back the expense of doing so.

Women no longer have children as a “normal” part of life in the West - and men are refusing to pander to the Fairytale of a “family life” - so there is little point in pretending that there is somehow a “Need” for those whose chromasomes dictate one pattern of genitalia to be “nurtured” and “protected” from those with different chromasomes.

Most men do not have the necessary entrance qualifications to “get into” these “high paid positions” and as shown above Most women Do !

You’ve won mate ! - stop pretending there is still some sort of “protection” needed - get back to being a stay at home dad and give us a bell "When the lights go out in New York" :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like