IronHeart's trading journal

[B][U]Update[/U][/B]

<Sigh>…Things sure are pretty tough right now. I’m not really worried about having 6 winning weeks in a row followed by 1 losing week but instead the way my life is changing or rather…not changing…

The reason I haven’t been able to place more than 1-2 trades per week recently is due to the sheer amount of job interviews I’ve had lately. Just making 1 job application is like writing a dissertation these days. You go from one job interview to the next and keep getting invited to “first round”, “second round”, “final round” and still end up just getting beaten by the next guy.

To keep having to prepare countless hours for the job and not get it time and time again, no matter how well you can take failure, causes a lot of psychological fatigue!

[EDIT: This is probably a very good example of how life itself can be like trading. You have to take each success and failure with a pinch of salt and live in the moment to find and exploit your next opportunity.]

Happy trading to all!

Hey IronHeart!

Never ever give up! There’s nothing wrong with you I can assure you and not even meeting in person.

We all suffer not once, but several times in life to this kind of stress and we feel like parc. Then, when everything seems to block us and you can’t find time for you, one last push dude! everysingle time… don’t even allow the idea of giving up cross your mind.

Those who are victorious, no matter how, have the force of will to not let a nuissance get in their path. And be sure that your problem is a temporal nuissance I’m sure about that :slight_smile:

Yours is a heart of metal, strong! Don’t let it rust!

Thanks for those great words Aserat.

So far I’ve lived my life by pursuing my ambitions with force.

Where I’ve not been admitted into something I’ve found a way to force my way through.

The business world comes as somewhat of a shock to the system, because it no longer is about getting the best grades or going to the best university, there are more variables involved such as knowing the right people or being able to sell yourself effectively.

You’re right though - never give up, I’ll happily take that advice!

I haven’t seen the job market stink this badly since the Carter administration, and never before that in my lifetime. There are now probably 10 good qualified applicants for every good job, maybe more, so on average you’ll have to go through at least 10 of those interview hells to get that good job. That’s maybe an average number, but 20 or 30 attempts wouldn’t be unusual.

It’s so tough that most people will give up before reaching their goal, often just one or two interviews away from success. That’s the way it is in general, most people will give up just before they would have been successful. So, to beat this thing you have to be the one in 10 that did not give up. It’s as simple as that. The 9 of 10 that give up will fail. The 1 in 10 that can persevere will win. So, read Interviews for Dummies (really not for dummies at all), pull up your boots and prepare yourself to climb a mountain of crap to reach your goal. There are two outcomes here. One is you quit and fail. The other is you will never quit, you will literally die trying before you quit. I’ve never heard of anyone actually dieing from refusing to quit looking for that good job. So, from that point of view, if you refuse to quit, success is almost guaranteed. It’s just a mater of time.

In my youth, my sports coach only had two sayings. Quitters never win, and winners never quit. That and, when the going sets tough, the tough get going. He kept saying them over and over. It sounded stupid and corny to me at the time when I was puking my guts up after running wind sprints. Now, half a century later, I really understand what he meant. If you decide you will die before you quit, then there are only two outcomes. You are dead from trying, in which case it doesn’t mater, nothing does, because you are dead, or you are successful. As I said, I haven’t heard of anyone actually dieing from trying in job seeking (some have in sports :(), but if you did die trying, that would be better than quitting, don’t you think?

Of course, as always, that’s just my own humble opinion. Wishing you great success :slight_smile:

Thanks Graviton for your valued opinions!

“Relentlessly pursue your goal until the last breath”.

We should really live our lives by philosophies similar to this - surely, nothing is impossible if our mentality is complementary to our ambitions!

It’s time for a change. It’s time to make sure actions are at one with beliefs.

I appreciate the motivation you have given me.

hi IronHeart,

its sad to hear that. You just dont think that you worst then “the next guy”,
I am pretty sure that you are better or equal at list.

Now I guess, employer want to hire but spend less. there is conclusion that you are expensive for them :slight_smile:

Interesting conclusion RenaLa!

One thing is for sure, it was a horrible time to graduate!

I hope the situation isn’t as bad for you.

no. thanks for asking

Trade 20

EURGBP 06/09/2010 / 12:30 GMT

Counter trend - Short Trade

Here is the 4H time frame

Here price has pierced the upper BB and a contraction is occurring on the lower band - this tells me a retrace is just around the corner.

15M chart

The blue line is the CBL, the red is the SL and the green is where I took profit, which is the upper band of the Dev1.0 BB. Just noticed I haven’t actually marked the entry point! Oops!

Trade Statistics

Risk = 13.5 pips
Reward = 26 pips
R/R = 1.93
Max profit available = 28 pips
Max R/R = 2.07
Trade Efficiency = 93.2%

End Result

+3.86%

Trade 21

EURAUD 06/09/2010 / 14:00 GMT

Counter trend - Long Trade

Price action gets very close to the lower band in a squeeze zone. I think PA will begin going up from here, at least a retracement of the main trend.

15M chart

SL on this chart is 1 pip below the low. Entry and exit is marked by the arrows.

I exited this trade early after seeing the CBL form within the squeeze area.

Trade Statistics

Risk = 21.2 pips
Reward = 6.8 pips
R/R = 0.32
Max profit available = 14 pips
Max R/R = 0.66
Trade Efficiency = 48.5%

End Result

+0.64%

Interesting thought. I said almost the same thing when I looked for a job in the mid 70s. It is a shame students still face a similar predicament. All I can say is try hard to keep positive. Nowadays in Oz it appears that it is perseverence rather than ability that lands a job. Many positions require you to nominate your desired salary - pretty much like trying to buy a job by undercutting other applicants.

You have a good, focused ethic with your trading. I hope this will soon be seen by you future employer.

On my wall I have a piece of paper that says “Don’t look back. No regrets!” One interview at a time. The next one will be the last. Good hunting!

40 years and we’ve gotten nowhere!

Inarguably 2004-2007 was fantastic for the job market, I guess the second best are being weeded out now and only the most perseverant remain.

Funnily enough, I also have a note on my pin-board…it reads, “Never deviate from the strategy”!

Trade 22

USDCAD 07/09/2010 / 10:15 GMT

With trend - Short Trade

Here, the 4H came really close to the mid-BB. This is a routine retracement from the main trend, so I will attempt shorting this.

15M chart

Ouch, if I were still breaking trades even at R:R = 0.5 then this wouldn’t have lost. Shoulda woulda, it’s a losing trade. The next one won’t be (well, maybe it will :confused:)

Trade Statistics

Risk = 13.8 pips
Reward = 0 pips
R/R = 0.00
Max profit available = 10 pips
Max R/R = 0.72
Trade Efficiency = 0.00%

End Result

-2.0%

Trade 23

EURGBP 07/09/2010 / 12:15 GMT

Counter trend - Long Trade

Here, the 4H hit the bottom band without any expansion of the bands. At this point I felt this would go back and hit the mid-band. Profit target was set 5 pips away from the mid-band through my EA.

15M chart

Good winning trade, almost picked the very top! :eek:

This isn’t very common in my back tests, usually the mid-band of the 4H chart is violated, this on this occasion it reversed from around 2-3 pips away from it.

Trade Statistics

Risk = 12.7 pips
Reward = 30 pips
R/R = 2.36
Max profit available = 30 pips
Max R/R = 2.36
Trade Efficiency = 100.00%

End Result

+4.72%

Trade 24

AUDUSD 08/09/2010 / 16:45 GMT

Counter trend - Short Trade

PA hits upper-BB, so I’m looking to go short, in expectation of a revert to the mean.

15M chart

Shorted at the first close beyond the CBL, with stochastic heading bearishly downwards. The red line is the SL and the blue line is the TP. This trade never actually hit the TP but went as low as a R:R = 1.38 (+2.77%) before taking me out. I guess the importance of a break even is emphasized once more.

Trade Statistics

Risk = 13 pips
Reward = 0 pips
R/R = 0.00
Max profit available = 18 pips
Max R/R = 1.38
Trade Efficiency = 0.00%

End Result

-2.0%

[U]Trade 25

[/U]

USDJPY 08/09/2010 / 16:30 GMT

With trend - Short Trade

PA hits mid-BB, so I’m looking to short the current trend.

15M chart

Shorted at the close beneath the 15 minute CBL. Trade goes on and on and even overnight…until it finally hits the TP target.

Trade Statistics

Risk = 20 pips
Reward = 27.4 pips
R/R = 1.37
Max profit available = 29.5 pips
Max R/R = 1.475
Trade Efficiency = 92.9%

End Result

+2.74%

Trade 26

USDCHF 09/09/2010 / 11:15 GMT

With trend - Short Trade

Notice the upper-BB breach but no BB expansion - this is our cue to go short!

15M chart

I took the first valid CBL entry (with bearish stochastic) and let my EA take me out of the trade when the 4H mid-BB was hit. I was in this trade for no more than 40 mins!

Trade Statistics

Risk = 26 pips
Reward = 21.4 pips
R/R = 0.82
Max profit available = 21.4 pips (at time of exiting trade, right now even more!)
Max R/R = 0.82

End Result

+1.65%

Trade 27

EURCHF 09/09/2010 / 11:15 GMT

With trend - Short Trade

These trades now coming to you live! Notice PA hitting the mid-BB here. When this happens I take out my shorting hammer.

15M chart

Seeing as though I’ve had a good week this week, I’m looking for no more than a R:R = 1.0 to get out and stop trading for the rest of the week. It happens just as expected.

Trade Statistics

Risk = 30.8 pips
Reward = 30.8 pips
R/R = 1.00
Max profit available = 30.8 pips
Max R/R = 1.00

End Result

+2.0%

[U][B]Week 8 Results[/B][/U]

The week ended with 6 positive trades and 2 losing trades.

By risking 2% per trade, the account has grown by…drumroll

[B]+11.98%[/B]

Total Account growth since inception

[B]+34.47%[/B]

[B]I have now completed 2 months of trading.[/B]