Is August really a dead month for trading?

I think August is not a dead month. So far I have hit my target with the following currency pair, USDJPY, EURUSD, USDCHF, GBPUSD. While another trade setup has been made with EURUSD. It all depends on the trader upon his/her analysis. Many people are on vacation but do market markers (banks, hedge fund, mutual fund, investors) go on vacation? The answer is obviously NO. In reality it should be the most busy moment since many exchanges will occur when on vacation. From my view, the only differences I have realised is the daily range for GBPUSD has increased but not due to vacation but Brexit issue but I know it will rebound soon from the formation it is developing.

As promised:

The 12 charts posted above are all AUD/USD, January through December 2017, in this order:

Chart #1 - September
Chart #2 - January
Chart #3 - December
Chart #4 - August
Chart #5 - February
Chart #6 - May
Chart #7 - November
Chart #8 - March
Chart #9 - October
Chart #10 - June
Chart #11 - April
Chart #12 - July

And we have a winner ā€” Manxx! ā€” You have correctly guessed Chart #4.

Your prize is a DOWNLOADABLE SET OF DIRECTIONS FOR MAKING GREEN SLIME at home, in your very own kitchen. Congratulations, Manxx!

You might want to wait until your wife is out of the house, before you do this in her kitchen.

Hereā€™s another (simpler) way to show how August trading compares to trading in other months.

This is a monthly chart of the same pair illustrated above (AUD/USD), covering the period from June 2008 through July 2018.

With the exception of the year 2008*, the August candles on this chart are unremarkable.

Click the image to enlarge it.

*in 2008, the economy was in the grips of the Financial Crisis, and the August candle marked the first sharp plunge in what became a 3-month, 3,400-pip crash of this pair.

4 Likes

After a prolonged, considerable battle with my conscience i have to decline acceptance of this enormous honour becauseā€¦yesā€¦ I confessā€¦ I cheated!!!

After devoting hours to scrutinising those charts with my magnifying glass i could not detect any significant signs of rigor mortis in any one of them so I resorted to more nefarious means of winning the trophy.

I noticed that when touching each chart its name appeared at the bottom and that chart 4 was titled:

AUD.USD - 2017.08.png

This was a significant clue in the investigative process but, although we all know what an honest and open character our @Clint is, when it comes to forex one has to always do thorough research.

Afterall, this could possibly have been a dastardly wicked trap set for the innocent Newbie whereby the charts would have been systematically and deliberately incorrectly titled in a plot designed to throw the nƤive off the track towards the treasure.

But, just like any good Capt Sparrow, i did my due diligence and opened my own charts to this specific pair/month and found a significant likeness - sufficient to claim chart 4 as the ā€œspotā€.

Under the circumstances, having sunk to using such devious and deplorable tactics, my own sense of moral righteousness and justice forbids me from accepting this valuable prizeā€¦ ā€¦

P.Sā€¦,. Does anyone know how to clean this green stuff of my keyboard?

3 Likes

I wish I had thought of that :angry:

All things considered, I have to admire a forex trader who is determined to win at all cost.

But, you have committed a minor misdemeanor, and you must be punished.

So, consider a sticky keyboard your punishment :grin:

6 Likes

The keen eyed would spot this in Manxxā€™ post. Fx is cross border needs. The earth is round, with an equator. It will keep rolling.

Super thank you for this Clint! :smiley: :blush: This has been a very exciting and interesting poll. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: Haha. Very enlightening too. :slight_smile: Congrats also Manxx! :smiley: Haha. I knew youā€™d get it! :smiley:

Hey Mate. Iā€™m kind of new in this venture. Was looking for someone who can mentor me through this journey. Iā€™m still running a demo account which has not been a smooth curve for me yet. I think you can be of great help to me. Kind regards and looking forward to hearing more from you.

Yup August is dead for me. For the last 2 years and this year started off bad so it seems Iā€™m just gonna chill til September comes.

I am not sure if you intended this post to me, but it was posted as a reply to my post, so I will answer it! :smiley:

I do not do private mentoring, nor would I be any good at that!

In my opinion this forum is a mentor in that you can post all your queries here and receive thoughts, ideas, comments from a range of people. You can then just sift the wheat from the chaffā€¦

3 Likes

What are you guys talking about. Iā€™m a new trader I started off trading paper for two years before I finally felt comfortable enough to trade real money. I average a 68% win rate. And I been cleaning up this month. Maybe you should rethink your trading strategy.

Congratulations on that - whether it is August or any other month! :slight_smile:

As I mentioned earlierā€¦

Congratulations! :smiley:
Which currency pairs are you trading?

Gbp/usd, Eur/usd,aud/usd and Gbp/nzd

Interesting thread, I wish Iā€™ve seen @Clintā€™s poll earlier :smiley:
@ria_rose, did your friend tell you why the Chinese traders are not active during August? That would be interesting to know.
@Dacity889 very good statistics indeed. Do you do manual trading or use Experts?

1 Like

Yeah! :smiley: Haha. :slight_smile: When I asked her, she just said that itā€™s just because of bad luck? :thinking: I donā€™t know much about Chinese culture and beliefs but from what Iā€™ve heard, they take those things really seriously. :open_mouth:

There was a poll? Where? :frowning:

1 Like

August Isnā€™t Always a Sleepy Month for FX ā€¦ The first week of August was a fairly good one for the US dollar.

1 Like

Haha. :smiley: It wasnā€™t an official poll but Clint put together this really interesting poll where we had to guess which oneā€™s the chart for August. :stuck_out_tongue: (He also included the charts for the other months of the year :open_mouth: ) It was fun! Haha. :smiley: And just goes to show that August isnā€™t as dead as I thought it was. :smiley:

1 Like

Bad luck? This is the first time I hear about this. Very interesting indeed but not surprising at all, I know that Chinese people are quite superstitious.

Ah, I see, I see. I must have missed it, it sounds fun.