Is August really a dead month for trading?

Hello guuuys! :smiley: I know itā€™s pretty early in August so itā€™s acceptable (I hope :sweat_smile:) that I havenā€™t had a winning trade so far. :sweat_smile:

I was just talking to a friend from a stock brokerage firm about this and she told me that in stocks, August is usually their ā€œdead month.ā€ :open_mouth: She said that since Chinese traders donā€™t trade during this month, there isnā€™t really much going on. :frowning: I was just wondering if this has any impact on the forex market as well? :thinking: What do you guys think? :slight_smile:

P.S. Iā€™m sorry if itā€™s a stupid question. Huhuhu. :sweat: But super thanks! :slight_smile:

Itā€™s the vacation ā€œseasonā€. So, yeah.

1 Like

This is a traditional claim in equities but in forex I think it depends on what type of trading one is doing. Certainly, there are less speculative punters active, but the fundamentals and commerce keep rolling along.

If one is a short term trader looking for 10-150 pip moves then I donā€™t think August is especially dead. But it may be that new trends are slow to evolve if there is nothing to promote them. For example, Dennisā€™ SW thread has been talking about ranging markets for a while now.

But I just produced this weekly chart of EU showing the Aug periods from years 2013 to now and I donā€™t believe there is anything there that stands out as abnormally flat and lifeless compared with the activity either side of the Aug rings?. So trading is still alive and well in August, albeit, maybe, with a shorter trade duration timeframe in mind and a more conservative profit expectation (we do only think about profit expectations donā€™t we? :smiley: )?

5 Likes

yup, thatā€™s what I heard from someone else too. Iā€™ll go ahead and add this to my notes lol

1 Like

vacation ā€œseasonā€. Fact:smirk:

1 Like

It has been just a few days in August already and the markets have been more active just these few days than in all July combined. So no, I donā€™t think that the August is a dead month at all :grinning:

I think it varies from pair to pair. Thereā€™s always money exchanging hands somewhere, so you just need to find the right pair to trade.

3 Likes

Since, itā€™s a vacation season, so not much volatility; as a result boring sessions on trading.

1 Like

If you ask me, starting from June all summer months are all but useless when it comes to trading.

1 Like

Donā€™t know about you guys but when its so hot out my brain doesnā€™t functionā€¦definitely better to stay out of the market than risk what youā€™re not sure about. So yeah August is vacation time :slight_smile:

1 Like

I am also a new trader. As far as I know it is the vacation season. Thereby it may happen that due to the vacation season, traders reluctant to trade.

1 Like

The chart that Manxx posted above gave me an idea.

I decided to pick a pair and a year at random, and look at all 12 months, to see whether August appeared ā€œdeadā€ compared to the other months.

The following 12 charts are January through December of a recent year. The charts are all the same pair and are all 4-hour. Each chart covers a one-month period. Dates on the x-axis and prices on the y-axis have been removed from each chart.

The 12 charts (which I have numbered 1 through 12) are presented here in random order.

Can you identify the August chart?

Chart #1

Chart #2

Chart #3

Chart #4

Chart #5

Chart #6

Chart #7

Chart #8

Chart #9

Chart #10

Chart #11

Chart #12

Later today, I will identify the pair, the year, and the order in which the 12 months are displayed.

4 Likes

@Clint interesting! Thanks for the big effort here.

Donā€™t rush to put the answers up. Weekends can be just as quiet amongst Babypippers as August might be amongst the fx traders :grin:

P.S. I am voting for chart 4ā€¦ But i wonā€™t say whyā€¦yet :blush:

1 Like

Oooh should have done a poll! I agree with @anon46773462 - would be good to reveal the answer on Monday instead!

1 Like

Good suggestion.

I will post the answer after the close on Monday ā€“ say, 6 pm EDT (10 pm GMT).

4 Likes

Oh wooow! :open_mouth: Thank you so much guys for your responses! :blush: :blush: Interesting to see different opinions, though. :thinking: Huhuhu. Is it possible that it depends on the trader? :confused: But then I thought, how could it be dependent on the trader when weā€™re basically looking at the same market? Huhu. :frowning: Anyway, thank you guuuuys! :slight_smile:

Oh. :open_mouth: I didnā€™t know that. :frowning: Itā€™s not really the vacation season here in the Philippines so I guess I didnā€™t really think of August as the ā€œvacation season.ā€ :sweat_smile:

Oh yeah that makes sense. :thinking: I actually forgot to consider that there are different types of trading. :sweat_smile: So I guess this answers my follow-up question. :sweat_smile:

Wow! :blush: Thanks for sharing this Manxx! :blush: Youā€™re always very helpful huhuhu.Thank you! And sorry if I keep on asking questions. :sweat:

From the looks of it, August doesnā€™t seem to be as dead as my friend put it. (Or maybe that just applies for stocks :thinking:) And yes, we do! Hahaha. :stuck_out_tongue:

OH MY! :blush: This is super interesting! :blush: Thank you so much for putting this together @Clint! I havenā€™t been trading for a long time so I havenā€™t really had the chance to compare my trading experiences for each month. :smiley: But super thanks for this! :slight_smile:

Iā€™m gonna go with Chart #5 just because it seems to be the chart with the most ranging market??? Tbh, Iā€™m so not sure. :sweat_smile: Iā€™ll definitely wait up for the answer. Haha. :stuck_out_tongue: Thanks again, Clint!

Wow. :stuck_out_tongue: Looks like August has been good to you so far. :smiley: :smiley: I wish I had the same fate. :sweat_smile: Anyway, yeah. That makes sense. :open_mouth: I only look at GBPUSD and EURUSD (and sometimes USDJPY) since Iā€™m following a system so in my case, it might be a bit risky to trade other pairs. :frowning: :frowning: Huhu.

1 Like

Iā€™m not that active in trading yet last year so just a guess, Iā€™m voting for chart #7. :slight_smile: