Is Inflation here to stay

We know that buffett is heavily into ‘trailorparks’ and Gates is buying Farmland - (assets) - Housing is also ‘Assets’ - and these are all areas where indivivuals either have to pay to access products or to acquire in their own right.

So I’m not so sure that the ‘Plebians’ will be content to just “let the rich get richer” - without seeking to participate. In fact House prices, through the mechanism of Attributed gain have already made many ‘Boomers’ and others seem wealthy.

The Result of “no Inflation” due to asset price rises - surely leads to ;

"You will own Nothing " - and you will be happy - N’est ce pas ?

1 Like

Yes, it’s an easy to understand phrase ’ money printing’ but as you say QE is not the creation of new notes which is an inflationary pressure.

However QE does have an effect on long term int rates - causes them lower (and thus stimulating Govt spending/borrowing).

QE sucks financial assets, most commonly Govt Bonds out of the system (private sector) and replaces with easier to spend Bank Reserves - as the bonds get bought so their price goes up and therefore yield (int rate) comes down.

First direct effect is not felt by the average consumer - rather by wealthy investors in the Stock market - as long term rates come down then a guy has to get profit somewhere.

3 Likes

This kind of reminds me of the highrise Trailer Parks from the movie “Ready Player One” Could this be Buffett’s plan for the future

1a

1 Like

So. Will the dollar go up or down?

1 Like

flip a coin

1 Like

Very general question; do you mean against AUD, EUR, GBP, NZD, CAD, CHF, JPY?

:innocent:

So many things happenign right now that make me think this is ACTUALLY where we’re headed. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

The PMI data seems to have peaked as has the ISM.

Bond yields also appear to be headed lower - maybe even negative.

So yes, there is a good chance inflation is in fact transitory - and the Fed is correct.

Money supply has taken a hit of late and money velocity has been trending down for God knows how long.

The only wild card is stagflation - which I guess is the worst of all outcomes.

Is this the reason for JP investors selling off US bonds? Quote from this article:

Treasury Department data show Japanese investors overall have sold a net $24 billion of U.S. government bonds since the start of the Asian nation’s current fiscal year on April 1. They offloaded $35 billion in the 12 months before that, the most in three years.

Not sure how to interpret this news yet and it’s impact on the USD tbh. On the surface it appears to be massively risk-off sentiment?

1 Like

@darthdimsky

If they were big sellers that would indicate a rise in yields - which is exactly what we got.

The world and his mother was short T bonds for quite a while but that short position is being closed out which explains partly the fall in yields over the past couple of months.

The bond market is not my speciality but I think a move into bonds and fear of deflation to come will push up the dollar.

It’s likely the stock market will top soon (ISM tops leads market tops by about 3-6 months).

If we do get a major top in stocks that can only be dollar bullish

2 Likes

Apparently the world’s biggest pension fund played a huge part. The Japanese Government Investment Fund (JGIF) reduced it’s exposure to US bonds and bills from 47% to 35% of it’s foreign debt holdings.

It’s great to understand there’s a correlation b/w bonds and the ISM. This got me to read this bit on investopedia.

1 Like

The US Treasury bond market IS the most important market in the world.

Many talk about following fundamentals via the news but everything needs to be filtered through the eyes of bond investors.

Watch out for bond positioning in the futures market, watch how large or small markets sell off are when compared to rises or falls in yields.

If you really have nothing better to do on a Saturday night stay in and learn all about the treasury auctions.

Thankfully I lead a busy enough life I don’t need to be such as anorak.

Lol

2 Likes

LOL. For someone with no background or clue of economics I’m better off starting from the ground up. Trying to finish an Al Brooks book (2/3rds of the way through a grinding and annoying read so far) and start off with a “For Dummies” book on economics. I’ll ratchet my way up to Macro Economics soon enough :wink:

But reading the news and trying to understand it has certainly been educational.

2 Likes

This is clearly an area that I need a refresher course

1 Like