Is it advisable to open more than one trade with same pair while trade is on?

recently saw a friend of mine screenshot same pair and trade open 4times when I ask him why, he said so the profit would double up.

I want to ask if it okay doing this what if i loose all the trade?

1 Like

It’s up to you the trader and what fits your trading method. Scale in, scale out, or do nothing. It’s all your choice.

1 Like

If you are confident about the trade and your analysis is perfect then u can open multiple on same trade. But needed long time experience.

2 Likes

Many traders add a new trade to the original when the trade reaches profit equal to the original amount risked. so if the stop-loss on your original trade would have risked say $100 of your account, when the position reaches +$100, you open a second trade of the same position size. You then move your stop-loss of the first trade to its entry price and set the stop-loss on the second trade to -$100. Now you have a position that is twice as big but has only the same capital risk.

How often can you do this? I once got up to seven consecutive trades.

10 Likes

Your choice of currency pairs to trade is totally up to you, the trader. Unless your broker has any regulations against that, you are free to choose any currency pairs to trade and how many times you want to trade a pair. After all, the risk is yours. For a new trader, it’s safer to trade one pair only once, and stick to that one pair until you get stable enough

2 Likes

good answer. cheers mate.

Traders can reduce their average price by continuing to buy positions on the same instrument after prices have gone down in order to multiply profits.

He is following his strategy (maybe) but it’s not my preferable trading style.

1 Like

Of course its ok. Depend from your strategy why there will be more than 1 but its a common thing.

3 Likes

Maybe you missed the word “not” here, isn’t?

yes and no … if you have a plan and you follow it then you should know exactly where to enter, why and how much which should eliminate the need to o add … on the other hand if you’re following a long trend which you didn’t think was going to last “that long” then yes it is normal to keep adding to your already profitable position … I however prefer to just keep trailing profit with my SL until I get stopped out and that’s that … it is easier to manage your trade when you only have 1 position per instrument :wink:

2 Likes

True but I would have not done it for that reason. More for catching current profits/swings, while your main trade/plan is going to work. If your doing it for that reason alone then it could be forever till it hit desired TP. You can’t control the market, only your greed or profits. Lol Happy trading… Don’t let patients get the best of you.

2 Likes

If I happen to know which way market is going to move and have one position opened and it goes against my desired move (but didn’t reach my stop level) I add another position to it with better fill using same level of stop. Don’t forget your risk management. If you wish to open 4 trades and you accept loss of let’s say 1% of your equity, you have to divide that 1% to 4 positions. Each entry will cause you lose 0.25% of your equity.

Another scenario is (already mentioned above) if you are trend following, you can buy (or sell - depends on which way market is moving) any retracement and thus adding to your position which is already in profit. If I see few different levels market could reach up to I open that many trades (again using risk management and calculate my positions) and set take profit at those levels for each trade. This is due to limitation of MT4 platform as you can’t set “take partial profits”, when price reaches certain level of price.

i agree. i usually trade forex alongside crypto pairs. it’s more fun than just concentrating on forex or just crypto at one time for example. but if you are a new trader then maybe concentrate on one at a time. depends how good your multitasking is :slight_smile:

No. I`m not.

It depends on the person and the strategy. Your friend obviously finds it advisable, whether it is for you depends on your trading approach.

1 Like

It depends on the broker, and that system is called hedging if the second trade is in the opposite direction. So, read your broker’s list of unaccepted strategies. Forexchief broker accepts hedging strategy without restrictions. You may want to switch.

Ok; now I am got it! But, in my trading I rely on only Price Action trading strategy.

It will actually depend on your methods of trading.There is no harm in opening simultaneous positions or multiple positions on the same pairs for different lots. Yes, to avoid high risks it can be better to work on portfolio basis, working with different pairs on different lots thereby due to positive or negative correlation a trader can expect to earn sufficient profit from trading.

1 Like

No problem mate. Everybody have his own style. Good luck. :+1:

1 Like