Is it even worth opening a $1k account?

Is it even worth it?

It is worth it to know if your strategy has long term viability (profitability).

Will I even see a weekly return,

Weekly returns are nearly irrelevant. I would argue quarterly returns are nearly irrelevant. A weekly window is far too small to tell you anything about the long term profitability of a strategy. The worlds most successful traders will have down weeks, down quarters and even a down year. The worlds worst traders can have an up week, and some of these newbie traders can double or triple there account in a week but end up blowing up the whole thing in a few months time. I hope I made my case that looking at your weekly returns doesn’t tell you anything about your long term profitability since you are looking at such a tiny, statistically insignificant window of time.

I plan to use leverage to make the $1k significant but will that even be enough?

It depends on what you want to do with your money. If you want enough returns to get a Starbucks once a week then maybe. Most newbie traders want to increase their nominal returns by increasing leverage and risk, which ironically lowers returns in the long run. The way you increase your nominal returns is by increasing your account size. What you risk per trade should have nothing to do with your account size. For example. that means you only make 10$ per trade because you only have $1000 to trade with, so be it. If you want to make 100$ per trade then increase your account size by a factor of 10 (i.e. put 10,000 in your trading account). Don’t try to achieve 100$ per trade by increasing your per trade risk by a factor of 10. It won’t end well that way.

3 Likes

Hi Hagakure,

When you have tested out a trading strategy on your Demo account and start winning 6 out of 10 trades with a 1: 3 Risk/Reward, you can start a small live account [$1,000] and trade for at least one month to gain further confidence with your strategy. If you can consistently make 10 - 15% per month for a few months, then you can increase your account Capital to $10,000.00.

Many beginners wipe out their accounts when they start with large capital before they get confident with a trading strategy that they have tested and confirm that it works.

By the way, now is not a good time to trade the GBPUSD. The Major Trend is down on the monthly and daily so you should be looking for Sell Trades. Wait for a high price [1.3500 - 1.3600] on the daily chart and then look for low risk entries on the Hourly to SELL back to the support level at 1.2890.

Have fun with your trading.

This is the best option to start trading with smaller investments at initial level because there are huge chances to lose at this level. You must have money on backup so if you lose than you can recover your money. Never take a risk on a huge amount which you can’t afford to lose.

TO avoid high loss as a beginner they should go for small investments . $1K is big amount for me. I can not afford it to loose I will prefer to use some part of it in trading. As standard account starts from $200 to $250 ,I should make practice on it then after it I can grow my capital . $1K is proper investment for profit taking.