Is it possible to do both scalping and day trading?

Hellooo! :open_mouth: I know that for a lot of us, once we start trading, we typically decide what kind of trader we’d want to be. So this might be a stupid question but I’m just curious if it’s possible to do both? Like, depending on the market conditions, is there anyone here who can switch from day trading to scalping and vice versa? :open_mouth:

1 Like

Yes you can. Just look at Tom Hougaard he day trades and swing trades and there are other examples.

3 Likes

I’ve learned that trading is a lot like art. It takes time for an aspiring artist to figure out what kind of artist he/she is. And just like artists, no 2 traders are alike.

My point is don’t box yourself with limited categories like being just a scalper or daytrader or swing trader or position trader etc. I’m convinced these terms were created and defined by “trading gurus” who made their money from teaching courses and not actually trading. :grin:

Try and experiment until you find something that clicks with your personality and preferences. Then look for ways to develop and improve.

I know a guy who trades a very specific set up on 5 min charts. He’ll exit 75% of the position intraday, like a daytrader and leave the remaining 25% of the position with a SL at breakeven and let it run for weeks/months, like a long term swing trader.

It’s up to you as a trader to determine what is and isn’t possible.

4 Likes

This is really good advice! I’m on a roll with your posts!

Definitely not a stupid question at all!
Actually, a lot of traders switch between day trading and scalping depending on how the market’s moving. If there’s crazy volatility, scalping can be great for quick hits, but on slower days, day trading for bigger moves makes more sense. So yeah, you can definitely mix it up based on what’s happening. Plenty of people do both! You thinking of trying it out?

1 Like

:smile: Not a stupid question at all! Yup, it’s totally possible to switch between day trading and scalping depending on market conditions. Some traders do it all the time! Just depends on your style and the market vibes​:+1:

Of course, one can use both the strategies for trading scalping as well as day trading, depending on the order, and pair type.

Yes, it’s possible! Many traders switch strategies based on market conditions.