Is swing trading a losing game?

I thought about swing trading but I can’t wrap my mind around watching my p/l fluctuate like crazy. Being up a few hundred then down a few hundred, I imagine the account size would have to be pretty large. Also with markets only trending a low percentage of time , the whipsaw could get you taken out. Swing traders i must ask how you do it. Low position sizes and scale in maybe?

is swing trading in forex a losing game?

It would help if you could give a recent swing trade example that you tried.

Low position sizing and a wide SL helps you sleep at night. It is not very exciting, but trading higher time frames is usually more rewarding long term, you just need patience.

1 Like

Patience is the enemy of many new traders. :grinning:

3 Likes

@GGekkoWallStreet

You don’t need a large account size if you use micros or minis.

Stops need not be tight - it really all comes down to your method.

Fluctuates like crazy - it can especially with FX - which is why I personally prefer indices and stock CFDs

Whipsaw? Again all comes down to the technique

Trending? Some of best trades ever are counter trend or in sideways moves…

If you cant handle the fluctuations take the app off your mobile and check in the market once a day.

Swing trading (on a short term basis (2 days to 10) really is the sweet spot as far as trading goes.

1 Like

I hope not. I just recently committed to be a swing player yo!
But I do understand the emotion go through when seeing the p/l fluctuate. What I do is ease my mind by constructing some trade management where whipsaw happen, then I shall act accordingly to adjust TP/SL to avoid disaster.

For example going Long and trade come out with rising wedge, then I will using Elliot wave structure to estimate how far it can travel by setting TP using regression channel and adjust SL to bottom of overlapped counter wave (4th wave).

Of course there are times it simply doesn’t work when I count the wave wrongly. I still honing my skill to be a good swing player, but I hope I can change your mind of swing trading is a losing game!

Cheers~

I could not handle swing trading in the beginning so I used to trade the 4H or 8H while taking the direction from the daily or weekly. You might want to give that a shot.

2 Likes

@QuadPip

8 hour charts are a very unappreciated timeframe in my opinion.

You’re right. And the 8H is also easy to trade with a job if you’re not a full time trader.

I also traded the 2H for a while but I’m not sure whether MT4 can render the 2H. It has a very limited selection.

its a very good human habit from all that can make you more different in the world , we fail to keep patience because we are very interested about short time approach.

I think many new traders come into trading thinking they need to sit in front of the monitor/charts all day. Sure, many do, but many don’t. The beauty of trading. You get to pick what works for you.

1 Like

The best thing I suggest to do, is to always risk a fixed % of your account, for example, 1%, so that it will be very easy to control emotions, and swing trading is my favourite style.

IMO swing-trading should be one of the easiest ways to trade. I used to have the same problem as the OP, but I now close my charts whenever I have a live trade, or at least close the P&L section if that’s possible. Also, trade at a size that you’re more comfortable with, and then slowly increase it. And only risk money you can afford to lose, so you don’t stress about it.

Watching short term price fluctuation is fun for traders, they want to see the action take place immediately. They are eager to know if their analysis was top notch or just another BS. These set of people described above don’t want to involve in any swing related trading. Personally I call myself swing investor because my trading plan allows position to run more than a week except in some cases were volatility is high. Trust me swing investing isn’t fun at all but who cares? At the end we count the blue figures ( note: blue figures not blue dollars)

1 Like

Swing trading doesn’t give you that instant high of day trading or scalping. However it’s a whole lot healthier for most.

But we live an instant gratification world where these days even a holding period of three days seems like a year to many.

No, it is nothing like that. Swing trading has benefited a lot of traders. Your strategy has a role to play in your profits.