Is this drama, 500 pips in a minute?

This this the minute chart of GBPJPY from pepper stone on 29th of April 2019, Could anybody explain what could be the reason for 500 pips drop in a minute? Is this operating the market or a mistake?

What would you think and do when you notice it later with positions opened?

Hi
I didn’t see any like yours in my own, I saw this kind of behavior couple times in other charts long time ago , could be one single big operation made by big companies , one site of trading online have this problem often but is I think is about program bugs, is not the price itself

That’s because of the Japanese 10 day holiday for the new emperor @soohia.

There’s been information ahead of time for potentially low liquidity and price spikes from many brokers and financial news websites.

The drop you witnessed happens during holidays and other periods of low market liquidity, so big transactions at such times have very high impact on price and can even create some sort of chain reaction leading to even lower prices.

You can find more information about it here:

Hope you weren’t in any JPY pairs at that time?

1 Like

I’ll TP for sure…then get back in later for a fraction of the TP

That could be an error in your price feed. I don’t see that drop in my charts. In fact Apr 29, 2019 is an up day in my charts.

The daily range was 70pip. I think this is a data feed error.

I have never seen anything like that even on critical news releases. Must be a glitch.