Is trading forex a full-time job?

sure go ahead, gimme these zulu-traders here, it is not a problem;)

i’ll pipe in cuz it’s fun. i live in the NYC time zone, which i think is GMT-4 now with the time change. anyways…

trading forex (or stocks) is only what YOU make it. LW once said “Put in “hobby” hours and you will get “hobby” results from your trading. That is not bad; some people don’t have more time, or strong passions. Just don’t expect professional results from part time efforts.”.

so back to the question of time and availability. for me, trading forex is important. i wake up at 3am NYC-time, i trade until around 12noon, and then go to my other job from 1pm until 5:30pm. then i have time for a few errands, some food, organization, and go to sleep at around 8:30pm NYC time. repeat.

ALSO - i want to point out and correct something in what you originally said. you DO have constant access to the markets during the day - you are just not making it important enough to USE it. you DO have time in the day to trade - the same 24hour sunrise-sunset cycle applies to you as it does to me and everyone else on this fun blue planet - but you CHOOSE to do other things during those times. yes, your 9-5 job is something you CHOOSE, not something that is forced on you.

everything you do is a CHOICE. maybe it’s not the ideal choice for trading forex, and maybe the choice is influenced by society or friends or a spouse, and maybe the influence is VERY strong, but in the end it IS a CHOICE.

and like LW said, that’s cool. if your choices mean you only have 1 hour per day, then you can only expect to gain so much from any trading efforts. if the results you get after a few months are not enough, then you need to change something.

NQ said something along the lines of “improvements are the result of change; but change doesn’t always result in improvements”

:slight_smile:

for such a big post you said a lot a lot of nothing!!!
better save yourself time and money and go copy traders on zulutrade…you will make more money like this :wink:

You always get what you put into it.

for such a brief post, you said even less and missed the point entirely :slight_smile:

One makes a good point, another misses it and now we are getting sidetracked from the message itself. Happens so many times that a thread ends with replies that have nothing to do with the good message posted in the thread.

i had Cheerios for breakfast, but the plain ones. usually i drizzle some honey on top (it’s better than honey-nut Cheerios), but today, plain Cheerios. But at least i had some pleasant conversation today - they said “ooooooo” to me.

LOVELY.
Did they also enlightened you on the way how to trade forex today? :slight_smile:

I have friend who trade only from daily charts, he use technical approach- he is checking his charts only once a day - at New York close … and he is most consistent & profitable guy I met in my whole life !
so You don’t need sit all day in front of charts in order to make money.
hope it helps

Quite possibly, but whatever the merits of Zulutrade that would not be trading, it is more like investing, so answers a slightly different question.

I agree entirely. To me, being a full-time trader means deriving one’s principal income from it, but it certainly does not mean simply sitting in front of the charts for 60 hours a week. Intraday trading can make good money, but personally I just pick a session and trade some of that on a given day, rather than sitting down for a full day’s trading. If I make two or three winners first thing I can be done for the day before 9am. EOD trading can certainly make a full time income, but again it depends on a number of factors, not least account size. On a £100k account, £5k a month averaged over the year off just EOD is pretty straightforward once one knows what one is doing, whereas a trader with a £2k account will not live off it for long, IMHO. So the answers to these questions are generally so personal and subjective that while the threads can be interesting, they will rarely give OP a definitive answer, unless one respondent’s post strikes a particular chord.

I trade both Intraday and EOD, I consider myself ‘full time’ but I spend more time on learning and psychology than I do actually trading.

Anyway, just my opinion.

ST

that’s correct, zulutrade is more of a combination being both - investing an amount but also a trading it - as allocating both lots and number of trades to follow certain signal providers.
and also support psychology is a major factor in trading now…it is not about macro data and technical details anymore.

Considering yourself a trader while using Zulu is like considering yourself an automechanic because you paid one to fix your car… Choosing and paying for any type of service provider does not give you the job title of the service provider

No, it is investing it by choosing someone to trade it for you.

There can be a psychological aspect to investing, but in my view if that is a particular issue then the investment is too large for the individual concerned. Psychology is important to my trading as it represents what I do, what I am, as well as my largest revenue stream. An investment is just something I do to make a little extra and hedge against issues elsewhere in my investment portfolio so the overall keeps moving forwards. That has nothing to do with trading.

Lol, as long as we steer clear of the fundamentals/technicals debate you talk sense :wink:

Ewww… Fundamentals? Those are too hard for me to understand… That’s best left to the bankers to figure out :wink:

Totally agree with this post, absolutely brilliant. I can just see it now telling all their mates down at the pub how they trade this and that, when in fact they have signed up with a signal provider with a few hundred dollars to trade their fortune for them.

It’s a shame that this thread was moved, IMHO - many of us never find this area and I feel that this sort of issue needs more prominence.

well but it gives me the option, actually lets say the possibly to run my car with cheaper gas over a longer period of time (on automatic) at any time i wish for - using your metaphor - or in real terms trade with smaller accounts (get only the positive trades ) and access to my money any time I wish for w/t resorting my portfolio… :wink: this is the flexibility that zulutrade gives you!

Mmmm… Sure you can pay a mechanic to fix smaller problems on your car or you can pay him to replace your engine… Still can’t call yourself an auto mechanic because you have control over how much capital you are expending… The auto mechanic is doing the work, hence his job title.

Well, it is and it is not. I do my research at nivht and open the trade when I think it is the propper moment for it but the rest of the day I am just taking care of my main tool: me. So yeah, it is a full time job because is your job to be in trding fit, wich is not easy.