Jim Rogers repeats his prediction of a monster bear market ahead

I am a little more than a little surprised, that you have not, as a trader, with clearly high self-regard,even heard of them !

I would suggest that most of those to whom you are lecturing here - HAVE !

Ah ok. So PPT is a term formed by a online blogger noone knows of, giving out signals to his PPT communit noone ever heard of.

Still no explanation what PPT stands for?

Edit: im not lecturing anyone here. This here is just exchange of opinions and occationally facts.

You mean THIS (as below).

In fairness though: it was the press being facetious with the labeling i.e. it’s hardly an official term.

But in just looking at those charts I can guarantee you without even looking: $TICK (and the rest) would have gone mad on down ticks as most were panic selling. The moment that stopped the ticks would have started climbing and you would have had ample opportunity to go long.

But the above is TRADING. Seems we’re getting some wires crossed i.e. @MrDE is talking about INVESTING not TRADING. At least I THINK so anyway. As I said: any trader worth their salt would know in which direction to be trading. But to qualify that statement: we’re talking about a CRASH not a FLASH CRASH. Only the market internals will have you profit from a FLASH CRASH (and recovery).

Plunge Protection Team - known to every novice since early '90’s

And “In fairness” - I DID write

For a great many years, it was officially denied that any such organisaton even existed - and that is way before the “New name” you refer to :grin:

1 Like

Actually:

We’re not even taking about a crash of any type in the context of the thread. Good 'ol Jim there is talking about a bear market. That’s a whole different thing. And again: any trader worth their salt would know to be shorting the market when the opportunities present themselves.

But when we’re talking about INVESTING that’s another story. Anybody that’s employed the buy and hold strategy will not be too happy let’s face it.

1 Like

Very nice. Finally a post of you with some value. I know the plunge protection team (its uselessness i value) i didnt know the shorting PPT. You answered my question and taught me the meaning of the shorting PPT. Thank you very much!

Sorry. Didn’t pick up on the “phantom” part.

1 Like

Play nice gents. Thus far this is a good thread.

I dunno. Wouldn’t call 'em useless. Depends on how you trade I guess!!! LOL!!!

Oh don’t get me wrong:

Years ago I’d have been EXACTLY those panic selling and would also have been long the market saying “it cannot go down any further” or “right it’s going to turn now”. You know the story.

One thing I heard said by a trader on Bloomberg during the financial crisis though: in a bear market you run out of money long before you run out of ideas!!! LOL!!! That’s always stuck with me for some reason.

1 Like

They do intervene mainly in equities rather than forex I think.

I know we had an indicative figure, released daily which helped us to understand whether they were “At It” or not - I’ll flag it up if I remember what it was called !

This is what “They” “Do” (Phantomly speaking of course :wink: )

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-02-12/ppt-only-thing-stopping-outright-crash

1 Like

Yeh well. FOREX doesn’t concern me as I’m sure you know. I suppose REALLY the FOREX equivalent are the banks flushing out traders. Dunno. Matter of fact I’ve always wondered if that’s for REAL i.e. I’ve seen so many FOREX videos where one would swear that the banks are specifically targeting your average Joe retail spot FOREX trader. The idea has always seemed rather grandiose to me to be honest.

But there’s the circuit breakers in place that have been around for decades in one form or another. Don’t know what the current incarnation is. But alright: they won’t stop an out-and-out crash i.e. just stem the tide and give traders pause to think about the next move (if they can make any move at all once the circuit breakers have been triggered or we’ve closed limit down). Actually: it must be a terrible feeling sitting on some huge loss and having closed limit down and there’s no Buyers and you just know what the next move is going to be.

Mind you. In just reading your link I was reminded of Soros & Co. and the GBP and Black Wednesday. Similar type of thing not (in FOREX)??? The BOE kept trying to prop it up and they just kept selling until the BOE couldn’t anymore. That’s pretty much what the article is saying about the Working Group on Financial Markets!!! LOL!!!

Many examples around though. Look what happened in October '87. Everything tanked and the end of the World was apparently nigh. Then a pause. And if memory serves me correctly they then turned on a dime and the Dow went on to trade to new highs after that and almost in a straight line.

I love this stuff though I must just tell you.

And I sure wish more people were interested in it.

I watched a fantastic documentary the other day on the 1929 crash. Fantastic. Detailed everything from before i.e. how and why people became interested in stocks, how leverage (well: margin trading) came about, and the rest.

Slightly diiferent Ithink, but in principle - yes - Brilliant Documantary here

Dunno, that name is new to me - I rather suspect it was “their” attempt to sanitise / confuse the actios when they realised “the game was up”

Again, if memory serves, The NYSE suspended trading part way through the day - didn’t it ? - But on that day there didn’t appear to be any fundamental reason for the drop - unlike “Black Wednesday”

It was after the '87 issue that "they decided to put in the “Uptick rule” and there was an automatic “suspension of trading” if equities went down by a pre-determined percentage - n’est-ce pas ?

Again soon afterwards we noticed the interventions attributed to the PPT - although the “Authorities” always denied their existence.

Anyhow, I’ll let y’all get on with your discussion.

atb :smile:

1 Like

Nah. Don’t go. This is great.

I watched that exact documentary the other day. Loved it too.

Here’s the one I was talking about above:

Fascinating. And of course who or what was at the center of it all??? Banking!!! LOL!!!

2 Likes

I have another one on disk here called “October '87 - Crash and Comeback”. For some reason or the other I’ve never found it online. Maybe I should upload it to YouTube. Only thing is I think that CNBC has copyright issues with the darn thing. Maybe I’ll put it on my Google drive.

Oh here you go (just found this while checking YouTube for “October '87 - Crash and Comeback” to no avail).

Do you subscribe to “Wyckoff” ? - I rather like his ideas and find it frustrating that we don’t get “Proper volume” on Forex.

https://school.stockcharts.com/doku.php?id=market_analysis:the_wyckoff_method
Watching your doc as we type. Thanks !

1 Like

Cannot say I do. But I’m sure at some point in my career I read the “Wyckoff Method”. That’s VSA is it not??? Will take a look at the link though. Thanks for that.

Yeh. One of the MANY reasons WHY Equities!!! LOL!!!

1 Like

I understand Tom Williams took the Wyckoff prnciples and developed them into VSA - but I haven’t read Williams, so I don’t know how much he changed them. I do know that Wyckoff is not “Easy” and I understand VSA is not easy either - in fact recently there used to be a Guy on the one forum which I joined “Way back” who reports his “VSA” trades on S&P in great detail daily :sunglasses:

Interesting to see the differences betwee my 1997 doc about “Black Wednesday” and the vid regarding “1929” which again was a BBC doc, but seems to have been made 2008/2009 by which time BBC bias was already showing.

Note in the 1997 vid, the actions of John Major and Ken Clarke (Two of the greatest “Remoners” to this day are shown in wearing Maggie down until she reluctantly joined teh ERM, but it didn’t save her and Major “Got the job” - I LOVE her engmatic smile as hse resigns saying “I wish John Major All the Luck in the World” - but not saying “He’s going to need it…” - At least not “Out loud” :wink:

Then th actions of the Bundesbank in being a major trigger of the actions against the Pound and the Lira and their lack of bona fide in the lowering of interest rates after I taly devalued and then their blatant refusal to obey the “EU Law” in backing the Lira and the “nod” to George Soros, followed by their press “Leakage” in undermining both currencies which prompted the uk headline

black wednesday sabotage
Their total contempt for politicians is very apparent (I have to say - perhaps they were right, but at least they could “pretend” )

And Major - one would have thought that having been shown once how disasterous it was to try and lock two totally different economies together fnancially he should have learned - yet no - he then went and signed us up to “Maastricht” and even now is threatening court action - if the UK leaves EU under “Prorogation” - totally forgetting that the last PM who did a “Prerogation” on Political grounds was he himself ! :roll_eyes:

Neither he nor Clarke seem to have learned anything at all !

Now taking a brief look at the 2008 “1029” doc, we see the undertones of “Gender Politics” when they refer to “now women were encouraged to get involved” - as tho’ they were being made into “victims” by “The white male patriarchy” - not realising that this was just so “they” could suck more money into the bubble along with the “men” they had already sucked in - as though there was some difference between one type of “Mug Punter” and another !

The real giveaway though comes in the last two minutes when the "Globalist -Agenda is pretty blatantly disclosed.

2 Likes

Wow. That is some post!!! LOL!!! Will be digesting it shortly i.e. just taking a little break so working on my iPad.

One thing I can comment on without further digestion though:

Oddly BILL Williams’ work in the field of VSA is always overlooked and this in spite of his MFI having been included with something like MetaTrader since the dawn of time. He calls it the Market Facilitation Index but it’s VSA whichever way you slice it. Unfortunately on my broker’s platform there is no MFI and no way to add custom stuff. But now with TradeStation I am most definitely going to get into it for the hell of it. Very good stuff. As I say: always overlooked and I have never been able to figure out why other than the fact that it requires a bit of work and studying and understanding. Am quite keen to see how it compares to Wykoff.

1 Like