Journal - Price Action Trading

Hello.

I plan on keeping track of all of the trades I take using a simple price action based strategy in order to figure out what I can expect from it once I go live. I figured I might aswell share them with all of you in the hope of getting constructive criticism on my abilities. I should add my native language is not english, so I apologize for grammar mistakes.

Before talking about my trading plan and risk management plan, I will leave you the link to my full Trading Journal [I actually can’t because my account is new, so I’ll update when I get the ability to add links], kept on a Google Sheet document. This is going to updated every time I open a new position, so that you won’t need to go through the entirety of the thread to see my trades.

Account information

Demo account on MetaTrader 5, using 1:30 leverage, and an initial capital of 5,000 EUR.

##Strategy

Mine is a heavily discrectionary approach, meaning that there isn’t really a way of reducing my entry reasoning to a clear signal. I will instead try and explain my thought process when looking at a chart. Let’s summarize the individual parts of my strategy - ‘my’ is an euphemism, but still.

Pairs: EURUSD, GBPUSD, USDCAD and AUDUSD.

Timeframe: Daily, 12 Hour, 8 Hour, 6 Hour and 4 Hour.

Entry: Borrowing the term from forex4noobs, I will consider entering when an indecision candle forms. An indecision candle is any candle with a small body and large wicks (spinning top, hanging man, shooting stars - I’d rather call it indecision because it’s simpler, and because I don’t use it as a pattern). If I’m going short, I want the body of the candle to be on the bottom; if I’m going long, I want it to be on the top.

In addition, I will only take into consideration indecision candles that form on top of support and resistance zones, which I draw on the Daily chart. I manually place them, based on recent significant bounces. A strong signal is something that appears on the Daily or the 12 Hour; if I spot one, I’ll go down to the 8 Hour, 6 Hour and 4 Hour looking for an ideal entry point.

I will take two types of trades: continuation, and reversals.

• Continuation: Price is trending, breaks through a support or resistance, stalls after breaking and comes back to the zone. If an indecision candle forms on this zone, I will enter in the direction of the original trend if the following candle breaks the high or low of the indecision candle.

• Reversal: Price is trending, stalls on a support or resistance and forms an indecision candle on the zone. I will enter in the direction opposite to the previous trend if the following candle breaks the low (If I’m selling) or the high (If I’m buying) of the indecision candle.

Stop: I will place my stop loss behind the zone on which the indecision candle has formed, as well as, if possible behind the high (if I’m selling) or the low (if I’m buying) of the previous five candles.

Target: I will place my target right before the next zone, or before a ‘problem area’. A problem area is a zone where price kinda got stuck for a while, but not enough for me to place a zone. I will enter a trade only if I’m capable of getting a 1.5 risk-to-reward ratio.

Risk

I will risk 1% on each trade. That’s my basic rule.

Every 10 trades I will keep track of winrate, average risk-to-reward ratios (I aim to get an average of 2 and above) and average position size.

Every 100 trades I will calculate my longest losing streak, and change my risk per trade based on it. Simply enough, I am willing to lose up to a maximum of 10% of my account after a losing streak. This means that, if my longest losing streak is 10 trades, I will make it so that if that losing streak happens again, I will suffer a 10% loss on my account.

As of the moment of writing this thread, I had already taken three trades (you can see them on the Google Sheet document I linked above). What follows are my individual trades and analysis.

2 Likes

Trade 1

Information

Pair: GBPUSD.
Date: 14th of May 2018.
**Direction:**Short.

Risk.

Stop: 37 pips.
Target: 67 pips.
Ratio: 1.81.

##Analysis.

A simple reversal trade. Indecision formed on a resistance zone which had held back price three times in the past, forming a nice range. Entry was right below the low of the candle, stop above its high, and target a few pips before the next support. I could have gone a bit further with my target and cash an extra 10 pips, maybe shooting for a 1.90 risk ratio, but I’d rather be safe than sorry - besides, 1.81 is more than enough.

##Result.

Win.

##Balance.
5,000 + 90.26 = 5,090.26 EUR. [+1.81%]

##Trade 2

##Information.
Pair: AUDUSD.
Date: 14th of May 2018.
Direction: Short.

##Risk
Stop: 36 pips.
Target: 60 pips.
Ratio: 1.67.

##Analysis.

Similar to trade 1. On the 6 Hour and 4 Hour, this was a reversal trade. However, on the Daily chart, this actually resembled more a continuation trade - this is a plus, because continuation trades tend to have a higher probability of success. I had a bit of a delayed entry because price was stalling on the zone longer than I’d like, and I traded a better risk ratio for more confirmation.

##Result.
Win.

##Balance.
5,090.26 + 50.62 = 5,140.88 EUR. [+0.99%].

Keep in mind that this trade was open together with the first one, but the first trade closed before this one, meaning that the percentage gain of the second trade is going to be lower because I based my risk on the original capital I had before the first trade.

##Trade 3

##Information.
Pair: EURUSD.
**Date:**14th of May 2018.

##Risk.
Stop: 47 pips.
Target: 75 pips.
Ratio: 1.60.

##Analysis.

In hindsights, I should not have entered this trade. It turned out to be a winner, but I did not follow my stop loss rule. As you can see from the chart, I should have placed my stop above the high of the indecision candle. The reason why I didn’t was because my risk ratio would have suffered a lot, and I really wanted to enter the trade because the signal looked way too good to pass on. Besides, it was a continuation trade of a very strong bearish trend.

##Result.
Win.

##Balance.
5,140.88 + 69.69 = 5,210.57 EUR. [+1.36%].

Keep in mind that this trade was open together with the first and second one, but the first and second trade closed before this one, meaning that the percentage gain of the second trade is going to be lower because I based my risk on the original capital I had before the first and second trade.

##Trade 4

##Information.
Date: 16th of May 2018.
Direction: Long.

##Risk.
Stop: 37 pips.
Target: 65 pips.
Ratio: 1.76.

##Analysis.

I believe AUDUSD is currently stuck in a range large enough for me to make good trades. I know many don’t use the 8 Hour chart, meaning that the signals given by it are less strong, but I don’t use timeframes as signals provider. I use timeframe as a way to split daily candles and see what actually happened in the previous 24 hours. The daily chart shows no signs of indecision, but the 12 Hour does, and all the timeframes below show it more and more. On the 8 Hour, you can actually see buyers taking control of price, and that is why I decided to enter here.

##Result.
Win.

##Balance.
5,209.03 + 84.07 = 5,295.82 EUR (Higher because of positive swaps).

##Trade 5

##Information.
Pair: USDCAD.
Date: 17th of May 2018.

##Risk.
Stop: 35 pips.
Target: 54 pips.
Ratio: 1.54.

##Analysis.

The setup is looking good on the 12 Hour chart. There is a clear bearish preceding trend which seems to be ending on the same spot the previous trend reversed - this is a great plus, considering price seems to like repeating itself. There is also little to no noise to the immediate left side. I could have gone for a 70 pips target, for a nice 2.00 risk ratio, but the range that formed a few days ago worries me, as price might stall and even reverse when it gets to that point. I might consider extending my target if the trade goes my way and the reversal bullish trend I’m looking for has no weaknesses. A weak trend, to me, is a trend with a lot of indecision candles inside it.

##Result.
Win.

##Balance.
5,312.54 + 79.03 profits - 0.12 swap = 5,391.45 EUR

##Trade 6

##Information.

##Risk.
Target: 53 pips.
Ratio: 1.51.

##Analysis.

Following my previous guess about AUDUSD being in a range, I placed a sell stop a few pips below the low of the indecision candle that formed on the 4 Hour chart. Price is also stalling on the 8 Hour. Outside of a few problems, such as the fact that the preceding trend is not very strong, this trade looks good to me. However, I have a gut feeling that tells me I should not enter. I’ve decided to stick to my plan and place the order anyway.

##Result.
Loss.

##Balance.
5,391.45 - 25.16 - 4.27 (swap) = 5,362.02 EUR

1 Like

##Trade 6.5

##Information.

##Risk.
Target: 53 pips.
Ratio: 1.51.

##Analysis.
I messed up, and accidentaly placed two pending orders instead of one. Trade has triggered a couple of hours ago and both were obviously in the positive, so I closed immediately one of them because it wasn’t intended. I’ll log it because then I would forget why my balance was higher, but I won’t consider this trade as a win. The other position is still open, hopefully it reaches my target.

I can’t emphasize how bad this was. What if trade went against me and I were on a live account? That’s 2% of my account gone on a single trade. I need to be more careful.

##Result.
Win but it doesn’t count.

##Balance.
5,295.82 + 16.72 = 5,312.54 EUR

Week 1

I’m fairly content with the results of the first week of testing. I’ve taken six trades, five of which turned out to be winners and one of them - Trade number 6 - is still open, and currently in the positive. My average stop loss has been 38 pips, while my average target was 61 pips. This equates to an average risk ratio of 1.61. This is not ideal, and I should try to get this to at least 2.00. My winrate is currently 83.33%, despite having no losses, because my sixth trade is still open. [Update: trade closed with a loss]. It’s the first week and I might just have been lucky, so it’s way too soon to evaluate my abilities.

Winrate: 83.34%

Capital: 5,000 €.
Profit: +365.23 €.
Swap: -3.21 €

Balance: 5,362.02 €.
Return on investment: +7.24%.

1 Like

##Trade 7

##Information.
Pair: EURUSD.
Date: 21th of May 2018.

##Risk.
Stop: 40 pips.
Target: 75 pips.
Ratio: 1.88.

##Analysis.

I placed a market order at about the same price level we are at the moment. On the daily chart, there is a clear indecision candle forming on a strong support level. I am very confident the sentiment of the market is bullish, regardless of price action. The daily candle is too big for me to place a smart stop loss, so I’ve decided to trade the additional confirmation and go down to the six hour chart looking for a smaller indecision candle. This still falls inside my trading plan, although signals on lower timeframes are simply less reliable.

##Result.
Breakeven, considered as loss.

##Balance.
5,362.02 + 0 - 0.09 = 5,361.93 EUR

1 Like

##Trade 8

##Information.
Pair: USDCAD.
Date: 21th of May 2018.

##Risk.
Stop: 44 pips.
Target: 81 pips.
Ratio: 1.84.

##Analysis.

After a smooth bearish trend into support, price stalls both on all timeframes and begins to reverse. I believe buyers have taken back control and they will push price up to the next resistance level, at around 1.2882. There is pretty much no noise on the leftside, and I’m confident price will encounter little to no resistance on its way up.

##Result.
Win.

##Balance.
5,361.93 + 96.36 - 0.10 (Swap) = 5,458.29 EUR [+1.80%]

##Trade 9

##Information.
Date: 23th of May 2018.

##Risk.
Stop: 30 pips.
Target: 46 pips.
Ratio: 1.53.

##Analysis.

After a breakout from last week’s range, buyers pushed price up to the next resistance and it seems to have bounced back to the previous zone. It is too early to tell whether this is going to turn out to be another range, or a continuation of the initial bullish move. Either way, I am going long and I expect price to hit the next resistance. I’ve placed a buy stop order a few pips above the high of the indecision candle on the 12 Hour chart. On the 4 Hour it looks really good: indecision, followed by another indecision candle with higher high and higher low.

##Result.
Loss.

##Balance.
5,383.93 EUR

##Trade 10

##Information.
Pair: GBPUSD.
Date: 24th of May 2018.

##Risk.
Stop: 62 pips.
Target: 98 pips.
Ratio: 1.58.

##Analysis.

I had placed a pending order yesterday and didn’t have a chance to check on it today. I was glad to see it triggered and trade is currently in profit. I wouldn’t call the bearish rally of GBPUSD over yet, but I do believe we are going to see a pullback large enough for me to profit. Price seems to be stalling right about now, and I hope it makes it through.

##Result.
Loss.

##Balance.
5,458.29 - 26.95 = 5,431.34 EUR

Week 2

Not as good of a week compared to week 1, but losses were inevitable and I was ready for them. I took 4 trades this week, with 2 losses, 1 win and 1 open trade, currently in red. In total, I took and closed 10 trades since the start, with 6 wins and 4 losses. My current winrate is 60%, while my average risk ratio is 1.65. I believe my largest issue at the moment is correlation: I trade USD exclusively, meaning that my trades either all win, or all lose, because of my exposure to USD. I’m looking into the problem.

Winrate: 60 %

Capital: 5,000 €
Profit: +383.93 €

Balance: 5,383.93 €
Return on investment: 7.6 %

Did you stop? :frowning:

I was following it.

Yeah I’m wondering too… What’s up matey? :slight_smile: