Laptop is stuck in auto repair loop

My Lenovo 14w is about one year old and I ONLY use it for trading—not surfing the net. I’ve tried so many things: all the self-explanatory options the software offers, different cmd options…

I’m not sure what’s left. I have my original journals and forex spreadsheets on there.

I just wanted to be sure to exhaust my options before bringing it to the shop.

Any suggestions are welcome. Thank you!!

I get this screen for about 25 seconds:

Then, it goes off for 2-3 seconds:

Then I get these:

Also, there’s no hard drive. The storage is hardwired into the motherboard.

Hi, did you try “safety mode” or “emergency mode”? I don’t know how to translate this :wink:

1 Like

Not sure what that is. I’ll take a look. Thanks!!

Hi, check this thread, it is similar to yours. It is in polish, but you can translate it :slight_smile: Regards Greg

2 Likes

Thanks! I’ll check it out! If nothing works, I’ll just bring it to the shop.

If Win 10 then select advanced - then you will have choice to re-start in safe mode with command prompt.

If you can see a choice for system restore - restore to a point in the past - no data loss.

If that doesn’t work then back to safe mode and a go into the CMD window.

if you enter chkdsk/f when in drive C.

This is checkdisk and it will find and fix any system files that it can find - will take about 3 hours on avg.

If it’s a drve problem then likely new drive.

If it’s not windows then repair shop.

Edit - you can get to safe mode by switching off and then back on - as the computer is starting up keep pressing F8 key - that will take you into the repair menu

1 Like

I thought I could help - but it seems I can’t - sorry !

1 Like

Decided to delete as my posts would simply serve to muddy the waters - Good luck with your problem. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

No worries!! It’s not the end of the world. It would have been nice to keep the files. People lose their entire home to hurricanes and tornados, so I’ll just consider myself fortunate.

I’ll just take this as a lesson.

1 Like

You can still get your files. That’s why I recommended talking to an IT guy if you didn’t understand the solutions I gave in your journal. It’s very easy retrieving them if you know the path and know how to work on cmd prompt.

Alternatively since 64GB is a relatively small you can ask the IT guy to back it on an external drive and use a Windows interface to quickly identify the path and make retrieval easier.

2 Likes

This is an example of me navigating to my folder and copying a file onto the D drive. Retrieving your files is a very simple operation if a guy knows how to use cmd prompt

3 Likes

Thanks! And yeah, I tried. But no dice. I’m gonna try again though.

And yeah, I’ll probably just bring it to the shop and let a pro do it.

Thanks again for posting all that!

1 Like

Darth I learned msdos way back in the 80’s - then when GUI came out I said that’ll never catch on :slight_smile:
It’s funny how all these years later and it’s still msdos behind the interface.

Had a similar problem on a PC last week to dush except it was a damaged HDD - took a while but got all my files onto a usb pen with dos and then 30 quid for a new hdd and download a win10 recovery onto a usb.

Likely in dush’s case it’s a system file error so the tech shop will be able to recover all his files - the joys of computing.

3 Likes

In a way you guys really learnt what a computer was really capable of doing. I grew up on the GUI interface so I only learnt commands when things broke. And in a limited scope too (limited to what I wanted to resolve).

Even for the gif I was getting the syntax wrong (wasn’t including the double quotes to account for the spaces). So I decided to look at the syntax for the COPY in a bit more detail. Some of the examples in this page were really eye-opening. The flexibility and power afforded by the cmd prompt is just fascinating.

2 Likes

Aye, in the early days even the dir command was labour intensive - had to go thru every directory trying to find a file with a wildcard.
Only good thing was the up arrow - it remembered the last 5 commands - now there are switches such as /s to search all sub directories.

Funny enough I recommended chkdsk which was big time used with those old floppy discs then came windows and chkdsk was parked - now it’s back - but soon will be parked again - HDD’s will be soon a thing of the past.

Reminds me of another dos command -“park” - I kid you not - we had to put the HD in park when finished :slight_smile:

3 Likes

If you look at what @dushimes has “in the box” in that 14w - it already is ! he gas a 64 GB eMMC soldered solid ! - my solution was to remove the HD and plug it in as an external drive to another machine to retrieve the files. - but “no can do” on that machine.- the only removable part is the WiFi Card ! - Not even the battery is changeable !

Anyhow - thanks for the DOS recap lads - I used to use it - pre “pentium” days to merge Excel files amongst other things - but no need now.

The other “fix” I thought of was to access BIOS and change teh Boot order to allow a USB drive to boot it and export the files to another USB (the 14w has 2 - but both are USB 3) - I suppose that may still work.

2 Likes

Sorry - I thik I deleted rather too much - having been put off by thet eMMC card!

As the others have said - your files should sy=till be ok and with any luck retrievable.

Just as a note - When you get it back, you should be able to Clone the whole drive to SD card periodically (Details on You tube - which will then gove you “HArd” back up copies of evertthing including programmes

1 Like

First of all, go to the start menu on the system, configuration window go to service tab, tick on the hide miscrosoft services, choose the disable services. Now go to start up tab and on the window choose for open task, choose to disable each application from starting up when computer booting up, choose task manager and then apply ok. A prompt to restart the computer will show up, then choose to restart.

1 Like

Thanks! But, unfortunately, I can’t even access the start menu or services.

Hahaha. I surrender! I give up! I’ll just bring it to the shop!

Is the hard drive easily removable? If you don’t mind some tooling, and don’t mind spending money on a laptop hard drive adapter, you could just pull the drive from the laptop, grab the adapter that turns the internal hard drive into a external USB hard drive (or SATA connection in some instances), and you’re saved.

Most newer drives are SATA 2.5 in, but I believe the newer adapters can be used with both 2.5 in and 3.5 in drives.

Something like this will work.

If you’re computer repair prices are anything like those here locally, this adapter is just a fraction of the repair bill.

1 Like