Learning paralysis i need some help what to learn

Hello everyone my name is Tamer I’ve been learning trading from 2021 and didn’t developed at all.i was jumping from strategy to strategy and from book to book.I know that i want to trade on the 1h or the 4h chart because I didn’t want to stay watching charts all day long.
Im trying to learn price action trading but I’m lost in what should i learn.
In your experience what books,videos,websites or courses should I learn and does learning price action is enough ?

Demo trade the first strategy you find. It doesn’t matter if you are not certain it will be the final answer - the more things you learn that are wrong about your first choice, the more likely your second choice will be better.

2 Likes

hi Tamer, and welcome to the forum!

i think many people start off like this, you’re far from alone there

at least you said “book to book” which suggests maybe you’ve been avoiding free online sources, for your education (and that would be a very good thing overall - trying to learn free from websites, Youtube, e-books and forums is where most people go wrong)

that makes complete sense, of course - and price action is more reliable on those than on faster charts, too

that also speaks well of your chances (most people look for an “indicator system they can copy”)

three recommendations for learning price action:-

1. Lance Beggs (yourtradingcoach.com) - lots of free stuff to start with and some more for sale if/when you want it

2. Bob Volman (two books on forex price action trading - don’t be put off by the fact that he’s trading and writing about faster charts than you want to use: everything he covers works at least as well on slower charts, too)

3. Al Brooks (the video course is outstandingly good - not free but long and great value, his books are really heavy going and difficult but he’s the “modern guru” of price action trading: again, don’t be put off by the fact that he’s trading and writing about faster charts than you want to use, and discussing indices rather than forex: everything he covers works at least as well on slower charts, too, and for forex)

not quite enough, but it goes a very long way, and it’s a better approach than most people take

you also need to learn about risk management (not covered a lot in what i mentioned above) and that means understanding a bit of statistics and probability

you also need to know some “practical stuff” (trading platforms, brokers, etc.), especially to trade spot forex which isn’t a transparent market at all and has some real traps for the unwary

good luck! we look forward to hearing more from you

4 Likes

I have already give the books and videos from Al Brooks a try and i can tell it’s really hard to understand i know he is really good at trading but for sure very bad at teaching,i will give it another try for sure.thank you for this helpful answer

2 Likes

i don’t disagree with you!

most people find the video course much, much easier going than the books

the first book, in particular, is a nightmare - the other three were written partly “to apologize for the first one,” many people say

the content, however, is gold (when you can eventually understand and use it!!)

clearly you’re taking the right approach, overall, anyway :sunglasses:

1 Like

Hey Tamer! If you’re into price action trading, check out books like “Trading Price Action Trends” by Al Brooks and “Japanese Candlestick Charting Techniques” by Steve Nison. You can find helpful videos on YouTube from channels like Trading with Rayner or The Trading Channel. Websites like Investopedia and BabyPips offer educational content too. Remember to practice, analyze your trades, and be patient with yourself. Good luck on your trading journey!

1 Like

Have you done any analysis as to why you weren’t profitable with each strategy?

Sometimes, it’s not the strategy, but the trader, that has the problem.

Such is the case for me, for sure. I started with moving averages and drawing trend lines. I kept making mistakes and chiseling away. Now, I’m focusing on price action, and it’s a profitable strategy, but I’m still not consistently profitable.

The problem is just me. I’m the last piece of the puzzle.

Perhaps it’s the same thing for you. I believe just about every strategy can be profitable. But it’s a matter of knowing when to use it. Have you recognized the correct trading conditions and signals for your strategy?

2 Likes

All very helpful responses that you could pick and choose from.

However a more simple approach is needed. Use your demo account to develop a profitable strategy and a strict process that you must follow for every trade. They are now little robots sent out to trade successfully. Many traders fail because they don’t follow their process.

Once you follow this to the letter, and feel confident, you should use your live account to develop a Zen detached mindset to accept but ignore what the market emotional challenges is throwing at you.

Because your only control is your risk exposure. Aim to be strict on this. I trade 1% per trade with a 5% maximum live trades.

You will make mistakes and suffer, learn from it, but once you feel in control over Disclpline and Patience ALL of the time your rewards will happen.

Best of luck.

2 Likes

Learning to trade, particularly price action trading, entails gathering information from a variety of sources. Understanding technical analysis, market psychology, and risk management, among other things, is required. Price action is an important part of trading, but it is not the only factor to master. Here are some resources to consider:

Books: John J. Murphy’s “Technical Analysis of Financial Markets.” This book is a comprehensive trading handbook that covers a wide range of topics, including price action.
Matthew R. Kratter’s “A Beginner’s Guide to the Stock Market”
For a more in-depth knowledge of the psychological aspects of trading, read “Trading in the Zone” by Mark Douglas.
Laurentiu Damir’s “Price Action Breakdown” focuses solely on price action trading.
Online Courses: Coursera and Udemy both provide stock trading, Forex trading, technical analysis, and price action trading courses.
A series of videos regarding price action trading may be found on YouTube’s Trading Channel.
Warrior Trading is a well-known online trading education for beginning and intermediate traders.
Websites:
Investopedia: This website offers a variety of free information on all elements of trading, including articles and price action trading courses.
DailyFX: Offers market news as well as trade instruction.
BabyPips: Excellent for Forex trading education.
Videos:

Rayner Teo’s YouTube channel offers extensive, beginner-friendly price action trading content.
As previously said, the Trading Channel is also a great resource.

Always remember that practice is essential. Before trading with real money, open a demo account to get the feel of things without exposing yourself to undue danger. Diversify your learning, experiment with multiple tactics, and discover what works best for you. Be patient, disciplined, and open to learning from your mistakes. Trading is not a quick way to get money; it is a skill that must be developed over time.

1 Like