Leaving trades open over the weekend

I just had a really great reversal trade from Support on NZD/USD (Daily.) Since it hit 3:1RR for me I was happy to close it out heading into the weekend but it did make me think…

Do you guys leave trades open over the weekend?

Do you close them out and potentially re-enter? If so how do you re-enter?

5 Likes

Yes I do! But, usually keep continue when I am with a long term trading. Not for 10pips-20pips.

4 Likes

I leave mine open weeks sometimes months

4 Likes

The risk of price gaps on a trade left open over a weekend is often quoted but big gaps are not that common and in any case, the law of averages suggests 50% of them would be profitable.

What’s a less obvious but more common risk is opening a trade on an intra-day time-frame, setting an appropriate stop-loss, but then extending its duration to multiple days because its going so well without addressing the stop-loss position. Entry signals should not be treated as isolated events, they should form one rung on a ladder of TA characteristics. Multiple day positions need SL’s from the D1 (or higher) time-frame.

5 Likes

No, I try not to leave trades open during the weekend. I fear wide gaps far too much.

1 Like

This is the answer I needed!

Most of my trades are from the daily chart and all trades I have considered leaving open have been entry signals and stop losses set from the daily.

2 Likes

90% of my trades close the same week but some do drift over into the following week. I’ve found that any big moves cancel themselves out over the long run so I don’t let it bother me

3 Likes

When you say big moves are you referring to weekend gaps?

1 Like

Yes I do; but it depends on my trading style; like when I am doing long term trading; no problem at all.

2 Likes

Yes, i pick most of my trades on daily and most close by tuesday or Wednesday of the next week

2 Likes

I trade daily also and typically leave my trades open over the weekend.

2 Likes

Yes, I leave my trades open if I’m doing long term trading.

2 Likes

I did not do what you did. lol

1 Like

Good topic bro, the answer is really subjective and it depends on a persons trading style. If u are doing a swing trade, before u decide to leave it open, even if the trade is going your way, u should really consider all the technicals, fundamentals and sentiments to determine where the price will be heading next. When u have the conviction, just hold on it n stick with your trading plan. But if u have hit ur RR profit target, then u can just replace the stop loss to a next relevant support/resistance level to trade with 0 risk. Never move your stop loss to a place where there is no confirmation of a new support/resistance level, u may as well close ur trade if u don’t have a good support/resistance level, or else the price will gyrate and hit ur stop loss before heading ur way while the spread and broker fees will kill you. If you are doing a day trade setup, then just forget this topic. Cheers… :clinking_glasses:

4 Likes

What is the longest period during which you left a position open?

1 Like