Leverage fixed or customizable?

I personally believe that a trader should use leverage when the advantage is clearly on their side. If you know the amount of risk in terms of the number of pips, you can find out the potential loss of the capital. But try that this loss is not more than 3% of the trading capital.

Have read:

Leverage allows you to put up less capital per trade, or allows more trades using the same amount of capital. Can it be dangerous, sure. But that’s where positioning sizing and risk management come into play.

Yes the same can be done by the broker.

Always do what your intution tells you, and hey, I don’t mean that it should be devoid of any market analysis. So even with what sl to use, where to place it, how far from tp, it should ideally vary from one market condition to another. And as far as taking risk goes, that frankly just depends on how much you are ready to risk, and that in turn will depend on how loaded you are haha general rule goes by 1% though. If you ask me, I never went beyond 0.5% in my initial years of trading with FBS. I am slightly bolder now and cross 1% at times, but never more than 2. The reasonable trading costs of axitrader (my newer broker) surely help!

Selecting the right leverage depends on the trader’s experience, risk appetite, and skills when trading in the global currency markets. New traders must first familiarize themselves with the basics and build experience before taking any risks.

That is correct Kathleen! Newbies should be very careful and not jump into trading without knowing the basics. This is a valid point.

The pip calculator has been one of the most useful things I’ve used and it really gives a great account of how much risk per trade. Anyway, thanks for sharing this again.

1 Like

Yes, you can use whatever leverage suits you on a trade and it can either be low or high.

That’s exactly how it should be. A trader should not force themselves to use a high leverage on a trade just because they have to. Even low leverage works out okay. And like I said earlier, leverage is just for helping traders and you shouldn’t consider it a burden. Like i’ve been trading for some time now using fusion markets and fxview for my trades and I get pretty good leverage on their platforms. Just because I have the option to use a very high leverage, doesn’t mean I would right?

See it is very important for you to understand how leverage works in forex. Make sure you are familiar with both the benefits as well as the shortcomings. For instance, if you are using 100:1, you can easily enter a trade for upto $100 for every $1 that is in your account. Hope this will give you some clarity.

Yes, beginners tend to make that mistake. Taking a course or learning about a particular market they’re entering shouldn’t be a task. It’s for their own good.

That’s right. Using a smart leverage doesn’t hurt anyone. How much do you use mostly?

But this can also get you in trouble. Especially new traders who don’t have experience to trust. But I agree with your .5%-2% risk. Maybe a bit more if you’re running multiple trades.

It’s not a constant Richard, and I keep changing it as per the pair and my chances on a trade. Sometimes I keep it very low and at times it can even go up to 1:500.

5%, that’s no risk at all! What I mean is that one should perhaps be up for some risk-taking in trading to be able to earn, what do you say?

I don’t think there is any broker that offers fixed leverage. All the brokers have an upper limit which is the maximum leverage they can offer. It is up to the traders to decide how much leverage they actually want to use.

You can change leverage with every trade you enter. Your broker has nothing to with the leverage you want to use.

Forex trading might seem to be an attractive way of making money but it is not easy in reality. With every trade you make, you may require to change the settings of your platforms and even your strategies. Without knowledge, you won’t be able to do much in the market. You won’t even know how to use leverage the right way and may make magnified losses. It’s better to get an idea of everything you do before risking money.

That’s absolutely right and beginners should not even be looking at profits or keeping the sole motive of making money in their heads at first. They should definitely start with learning and knowing about how forex works in the first place. This will also give them some idea about leverage as well.

There is nothing like fixed leverage. You can change it whenever you want. My brokers (pepperstone and fxview) offer quite high leverage but it doesn’t mean that I have to use all of the leverage that they are offering. I use leverage in accordance with my understanding and market analysis.