Leverage fixed or customizable?

Choosing the right leverage for your needs depends on how much you can afford to risk, and what instrument you are trading.

Absolutely. I’m also not saying you can’t be successful if you risk more or less. I’m in the camp that believes, when you’re just starting, to use a reasonable amount of risk for your level of experience. To keep from blowing your account, 1-5% has been the most commonly suggested level of risk.

More power to you if you’ve risked more early on and survived.

Is it possible to trade indices with high leverage?

Possible. If you’re planning, go for S&Ps. They’re one of the most liquid and high-volume trading instruments.

I wish!! I’m still sort of learning the ropes.

@Don but isn’t there always a risk with the investment value changing because of the change in the level of interest?

Index futures are very liquid and do come with low transaction costs, but let’s not forget they’re highly volatile. So until you’re a day trader who’s familiar with the futures trading, high leverage is your thing.

so you’re suggesting that I can go from 5:1 to 50:1 right away and there won’t be any legal implications whatsoever?

That’s what I’ve been told. I suppose putting the stop loss, keeping the positions small, and limiting the capital for each position is a good way to start learning how to use and manage the leverage. My results have been great using these strategies with ■■■■■■ and xm.

There are some brokers that ask you to set default leverage when you are setting up your account. But you can change it whenever you want.

You should use higher leverage only when the results are crystal clear and on your side. You should track positions, apply stop loss and use market orders to prevent large scale losses.

Well, blowing your demo account is a great learning experience. Better to do it now than later, when the real money is on the line.