Linear Regression System

Let me preface by saying that I’ve been trading Forex for 9 years or so and I have tried about everything! I’ve been breaking even for a long time. I guess that’s better than losing but I’ve been trading no better than 30% up or 30% down, like I said, for a long time. Too long to still be here looking at forums where I’ve spent too many hours of my life already. I don’t contribute too much but you would find my user name here and there in these forums very sporadically. I would guess that some of those reading may be in the same place as me and no doubt this has all been said before.

I’ve come to the point that the only thing that I really want to do is to follow my rules exactly, because if I do then I’ll know that forex is beatable and my system is profitable. How do you know unless you follow the rules and 9 years of this tells me that rule following is always not as easy as it sounds!

I’ve developed a system that I believe has a clear edge and it looks profitable. I thought if I exposed myself so to speak I would be under greater pressure to follow my rules exactly, and I believe honestly that this system can make money and I wanted to share it.

The system is simple, it uses only two indicators. Take profit rules call for a 1:2 Risk/Reward and my back tests show that it wins more than 50% of the time.

The first indicator I use is the Linear Regression Channel set in the following way.
Zoom out as far as possible on your MT4 chart. Now zoom in twice and set the Linear Regression Channel from the left side of the screen to right. Make sure all platform tool bars are closed on the left such as Market Watch or Navigator. You want the channels to stretch across the whole screen. As a result on the 4 hour chart you will be looking at a little under 400 bars or candlesticks or about 2 months worth of data.
The Regression Channels are our trend filter. They move with the chart as price progresses. When you check the charts you will readjust the channels to stretch forward to the current price and then readjust the back end to the back end of the chart. This will give you an up to date trend direction determination. A completely flat set of channel lines is a pretty obvious indication of flat market, at least within the last 60 day period.

At what point you decide that the angle of the channels is acceptable to determine a trend decision, either one way or the other, is really the only discretionary part of the system. Generally the steeper the angle of the channels the better chance of a follow through with price in your direction.

The second indicator, the entry trigger, involves the Stochastic Oscillator set to 28,8,8. Simply, if the trend direction is up then the entry trigger is a cross up of the Stochastic while it is below the 20 level, and I mean below by either the Stochastic line or the signal line of the indicator. If a cross up is that close to the 20 level, or 80 level for a sell, then I’m counting it as a valid signal. Those are my rules. It’s a reasonable trigger. You have to have some trigger to get in. I’ve seen this work pretty well and it gets early entries. Opposite for shorts.

Those entries should create the needed edge on the market.

Money management. I trade only 4 hour charts. As far as a stop loss I’ve found that “last swing points” often get taken out, by just enough. No doubt big banks are accumulating and wiping out stops near round numbers, swing lows and highs, etc. I always want good Risk/Reward because trying to win too often will kill your nerves and your account. I determined, and I’m testing, that a 100 pip stop you can get you a 200 pip win at the rate you need to be profitable. 100 pips on a 4 hour chart is wide enough to avoid stop hunts normally and again, allows price to follow through in the trend direction toward your TP. You’ll find that it will usually be set well away from a last swing point that could be a potential “big money” target. It seems to work that way. After I reach 50% profit I move my stop to breakeven.

I’ve back tested it on a bunch of pairs and the following seem best. Back testing is not real easy because you have to adjust the channels as you go along.
I trade EURUSD, GBPUSD, AUDUSD, GBPJPY, AUDJPY, CADJPY, GBPCAD, AUDCAD. I trade 3% per trade but I would strongly suggest less risk. I have seen regularly that 6 or more pairs have open trades at once exposing me to probably more risk than is advisable.

I do not have any stats, percentages etc. It’s very simple. You may find all kinds of improvements to do with it, but keep in mind that it’s designed to provide a certain edge to get in, and a certain edge to make more than you lose via a good RR. That’s all you really need in this market. The rest is psychology, and good luck with that!

I’m not posting this with a whole lot of experience with the system. I am posting this and saying that this simple manual system should be profitable based solely on the principles it is designed on, or maybe the market will only let you just break even!

Here are a couple of screen shots of current trades.

Backtested the system and don’t have any stats? you kidding right? how do you know then 50% and 1:2 are trueish? and you don’t even make it through demo and live trading? come on…

“Back testing is not real easy because you have to adjust the channels as you go along.”
“I do not have any stats, percentages etc.”
“I’m not posting this with a whole lot of experience with the system.”

Mikey, it seems clear that the backtesting you are referring to is the labor intensive method of looking back through charts. I have done a lot of that and know how tedious it can be to try to provide some indication of results for ourselves and others. Thus, your honest admission that you don’t have the kind of stats that would conveniently be generated with the ability to mechanically backtest. Accompanied by your admission of little experience with the system, I would say that makes you a breath of fresh air compared to some of the threads on these forums. We have a lot of threads where scammers are just trolling for victims and others where a method is trotted out, i.e., do this and that without any reference to results, anecdotal or otherwise.

Rather than, “I have found the grail,” you are saying, “I have an idea and some rudimentary observations to go with it.” Thank you for sharing that and opening an opportunity for others to contribute to its possible value. Please continue and try not to be put off by critics who may not understand the nature of a work in progress.

Exactly. I will update this thread when some trades I am in complete either with a win or loss. I am using it live. I’ve been live for years and I will either profit or lose with this and I will either continue forex or blow my account for the last time. When I am done, I expect because of the principles at the foundation of the method, that I will be profitable and I will be able to prove that with a “slight” edge and proper money management one can profit in forex with simplicity and patience.

Pipwoof, your comments are a breath of fresh air. Thank you.

Another one bites the dust…

Milos, I’m afraid you have a long road in front of you with regards to forex. Best of luck, or skill, which ever it takes.

No, no man you don’t get it… I’m involved in the markets for +10 years, Full-time forex, I made a living thanks to them.
I already have my way just trying to help others find theirs. Luck has nothing to do in the markets.
Best regards.

Alright man no problems. I just didn’t get the negativity toward something that we don’t even know will succeed.

Because you’ve decided to go live with a system don’t even know its profitability. That’s not trading, it’s GAMBLING.
Different sport, pretty simple.
I have nothing against you, I wish I could help but you seems pretty sure about how do you want to do things and I’m pretty sure of the results.

Well if you have that much experience & full time professional, maybe you could share your system? Stats? Etc.

I´m not a pro, I work on my own and I´m very lucky to trade for a living but I´m not selling anything here, so I don´t have to probe anything. I share my experience for free.
Do you need the stats of anyone to trust him? by the way, where are your stats?
Not my style… I´m a gentleman not a boy.

My stats - 301 Moved Permanently
YouTube

Good for you.

now milos, its your turn to show us yours :slight_smile:

Hi Milos.
Im not here to compare stats or prove anyone is better. Im here on babypips to improve my own trading & discuss problems/solutions with like minded traders. What got my back up is the I know better attitude. I agree about back testing but I also believe there are traders who make money without back testing. I for one am not one of them. However we have a fellow trader posting his findings whilst being honest about his trading experience. He is looking for like minded traders to contribute & share similar experiences not tell him this is wrong or right. There is no wrong or right only works, don’t works. We need to all be positive especially when a huge part of trading is negative emotion. The journey is different for us all. We can only try to help each other & share our experiences. The honest the better.