List of favourite books - last decade

Hi all,

I was recently asked by a close friend if I could provide a list of my top 10 recommended books, regardless of subject matter. We were having dinner together and had not seen each other for about 3 months. A wonderful evening with a fellow IT project Delivery Manager with whom I worked for two years, and his partner, a graduate software programmer with a passionate interest in psychology, psychiatry and currently writing her first book. The list is below. I found it difficult to list just ten so there were 12, and then some that I did not think about so added at the bottom and my most recent acquistion.

On Babypips, we tend to concentrate on books about trading, but some of the books that seem to have little to do with trading have helped me enormously over the years to have a very organised and ordered approach to trading as I do with many other pursuits I find pleasurable in life.

What are your favourites, particularly outside the direct subject of Trading?

Top 12 books recommended reading
No particular order or genre
ID Title Author
1 The Detox Miracle Sourcebook Robert Morse M.D.
2 Flawless Consulting Peter Block
3 Trade Your Way to Financial Freedom Van K Tharp PhD
4 Wisdom of Crowds James Surowiecki
5 Trading in the Zone Mark Douglas
6 Guide to Investing in Gold and Silver Michael Maloney
7 The 4-Hour Work Week Timothy Ferriss
8 The Naked Trader Robbie Burns
9 How Your Mind Can Control Your Body David R Hamilton PhD
10 Super-Forecasting Philip Tetlock and Dan Gardener
11 The (Mis)Behaviour of Markets Benoit Mandlebrot
12 Lifespan David A Sinclair PhD

It goes without saying there are a few more that I have never fully read, but intend to over the next 5 years. they would be Torah, Bible, Quran, Adam Smith’s The Wealth of Nations, and my most recent acquisition Principles by Ray Dalio.

5 Likes

Thanks for this @Mondeoman. Out of the 12 you mentioned, which one do you recommend I read first?

You need to decide that yourself. I cannot do that job for you :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ok ok. Let me rephrase what I said. Which one is your favorite among the 12?

1 Like

This one for sure. Along with his wonderful youtube series about the hidden secrets of money. Anyone who wants to understand market manipulation with some stunning graphics needs to watch the entire series. I was already aware of what Mike talks so passionately about but I have never seen the subject matter presented in such a down to earth way as he manages to do.

(308) Money vs Currency - Hidden Secrets Of Money Episode 1 - Mike Maloney - YouTube

1 Like

Thanks for sharing your list of recommended books!

1 Like

such an interesting mix of books! I also love how it’s not all about trading; I totally agree that we can find wisdom in the most unexpected places.

So, here are some of my faves,

1. ‘Just Kids’ by Patti Smith - This memoir is so raw and beautifully written. It gives me all the feels!
  2. ‘The Jazz Theory Book’ by Mark Levine - A total must-read if you’re into jazz.
  3. ‘The Prophet’ by Kahlil Gibran - The kind of book you can pick up anytime and find something profound.
  4. ‘A Random Walk Down Wall Street’ by Burton G. Malkiel - It made the financial world way less intimidating for me.
  5. ‘The Intelligent Investor’ by Benjamin Graham - Not strictly trading, but it’s been super insightful.
  6. ‘Why I Write’ by George Orwell - His passion for language is so inspiring!
  7. ‘Jazz: A History of America’s Music’ by Geoffrey C. Ward - This book’s an amazing journey through jazz history.
  8. ‘Milk and Honey’ by Rupi Kaur - Love her raw and beautiful poems.
  9. ‘The Defining Decade’ by Meg Jay - Every twenty-something needs to read this. It’s eye-opening!
  10. ‘Becoming’ by Michelle Obama - Because who doesn’t love Michelle, right? :wink:

Oh, and just like you, ‘Principles’ by Ray Dalio is sitting in my TBR pile.

1 Like

Your list is fascinating and reflects a rich tapestry of interests! I’m intrigued by your choices, particularly “The 4-Hour Work Week” and “The Naked Trader.” They offer unique perspectives on productivity and financial management that can be applied to various aspects of life.