London Breakout Strategy - 1H Timeframe Modified

G’day Cloudninee.

I have read through all these posts, some many times in order to understand the process and get the figures right.

Have I got today’s figures right?

Thanks greatly for sharing with us.

Chris.

1 Like

This looks promising. Is someone sharing his/her results on a myfxbook page result?

1 Like

Hi,

Thank you for your comment and sorry for the delay in replying. Based on what I can see looking back on past data, that looks about right. Of course, mine and yours might be a bit different due to differences between brokers.

But if you are following my strategy, then yes, that looks right.

1 Like

I don’t think so so far. All I know is it is still a profitable strategy to date for myself along with many other follower and my own close trading friends.

It’s a simple strateg to backtest though so if you have sometimes, just look at some charts, draw some lines/boxes and you can figure it all out.

All the best.

For anyone that uses TradingView for charts - I’ve found an indicator called ‘FXN- Asian Session Range’ that I find pretty useful. Its draws out the lines for the Asian range and you can adjust the timings in settings to fit the timeframe this strategy uses. It also prints out the pip value of the range with the ADR, which I find useful to judge whether the range is already a bit stretched to filter out some bad trades.

Just thought I would share

3 Likes

Thank you.

1 Like

Hi All,

Because I was bored today (officially unemployed!!! yay!!!), I back tested 6 pairs that I like for this strategy. First of all, thanks to Cloudninee for posting this strategy, it really helped me find an edge and while I know you said it’s a strategy that’s as old as time, it looks like it really works!

I backtested once on GBPUSD all the way back to June and with just that currency, over 3 months, you would’ve made over 5k! Of course, this is measuring trades that only hit SL or TP; other trades were noted, but I was most interested in having a system that consistently hits TP. For the other trades, they either ended the session in the red or in the black, but didn’t seem to have any bias. There were also 3 pairs and days where i just didn’t see a viable trade based on this strategy, and you would need to use other tools to find an edge.

After I did this, I went through with the following pairs to see just how profitable this strategy would’ve been just for this month so far. PS, I know backtesting isn’t the end all be all, but I feel a good about this backtest because I was using tradingview’s replay mode, and traded as if I were live with just the FXN Session Range Indicator (instead of marking my ranges as suggested by Cloudninee), 10EMA, 50MA, and 200MA.

EURUSD
USDJPY
GBPUSD
USDCHF
EURGBP
GBPJPY

I know we technically have one day left in the trading week (the OCD in me is screaming at me right now), but I feel like I have sufficient data now, and wouldn’t be opposed making the strategy one of my daily strategies. I wanted to share with all of you the results of this month’s trading on paper to see what the potential for this strategy. I did this mostly for newbies like me so if anyone is looking for a good strategy to get started with.

I also used this strategy today on my small account which ended up netting me almost 6% on my total account value, just today. Normally, I don’t trade on this account because when I first started looking into FX trading, I got really impatient and just wanted to trade real money…until I lost 25% of my account :crazy_face:

Now though, I feel like I’ll be able to go in and really have a plan in place.

And without further ado, here are my results:

Let me know if you all have any questions.

2 Likes

Love this indicator! I tried it out right away!

1 Like

What is the use of those moving average indicators? I trade with Mt4 App so I don’t have that indicator for the range.

I use MT4 too, but TradingView.com is a charting site. I like it better, so I use that to look at my charts and then I place my trades on MT4. You can set up moving averages on MT4 too. Just look for it on the indicators list. Also, check out the MT4 training section in the school of pipsology.

How do you manage it manually?

Once it started making profit or sometime loss i take the decison based on trend to continue or close the trade.

I like to do this by moving the SL up as the price moves in your favor, but be careful, because you can lose out on optimal profits if you’re not giving your trade room to breathe. I don’t do it that often, but then again, I haven’t fully mastered it.

Also, I’ll say that I’ve read a lot of people saying just to leave your trade alone after setting it. I just think moving your SL helps lock in profits, and I would rather win a little rather than lose money, even with risk management in place.

Hi rtripath, That’s a good idea. But how do you identify the trend? which indicator do you use please?

Creating a myfxbook is easy and for free. Why not considering to do it? That would certainly boost the interest of potential users in teh strategy. You should do nothing more than trading as usual. No additional work is required.

1 Like

Your input is well noted. You can call me lazy if you’d like, I just can’t find myself motivated enough to do it. I welcome anyone else here who would want to try. As mentioned before in this thread, I have nothing to show off and have no interest in selling or anything along that line. Simply sharing a strategy and hopefully can help some people make money with it :slight_smile:

Wow, I do apologise for the delay in replying as I have been travelling for work, but this is some good work you have done. I am just thrilled to see that it works for another friendly fellow trader out there like yourself. Keep it up and I am just happy I have shared something that is helpful to the community. All the best.

Hi all.
To help me, and others, I am going to post my trades for a week or so in order to make sure I am following Cloudninee’s process.
I have been following this topic for a while now and have been practice trading for a few weeks, however I have not been very profitable to date.
So here are the trades I placed yesterday, and their results.

Closed this morning at a profit

Reached TP level

Hit SL

I am following the rules as originally set out, not moving SL or using any other indicators.
I am not following news, or making allowances for large movements, etc.

Will see how I go tonight.

1 Like

good call, I just set up myfxbook for my account to track my trades for this strategy a little better. I am going to post my most recent results at the end of the month.

Hit SL

Hit SL

Hit SL

Hit TP

A net loss for the day.

1 Like