Lot size help please

Hi there lovely people , I have a newbie question regarding lot sizes. I am slightly confused even though I have read and done all off the baby pips course . This is still a pre school question.

I have been running a demo account for 4 months. really getting my head around things. In fact my 2nd demo account as I ran the first one into the ground and learnt so much in the process.

I have my strategy now that seems to be working fine. Sits comfortably with me and am almost ready to switch back over to my real account.

I made notes right at the the start.

My Lot sizes then were this for example

EUR/USD

0.01 = $3.04
0.10 = $30.40
1.00 =$304.00

I have only noticed today my Margin is Huge. On 4 or five positions open @ 1.00 each.

So I have calculated that one Lot size is now:

EUR/USD

0.01 = $38.96

I made many notes all several pairs and indexes even traded on the real account with some success and some mistakes.

Any thoughts would be helpful

I am with the broker AVA and am using MT4 . I will contact them as well if no one here can shed some light.

Thank you kindly

RJS

I Just opened my real account and thought I would place a very small amount on USD/CHF by mistake actually . should have been another pair. whoops .

0.01 is = $2.5 as before

so still a little confused… but feeling better if the real account has the original numbers :slight_smile:

On MT4 accounts, AVATrade offers maximum allowable leverage of 400:1, which corresponds to margin of 0.25% (¼ of 1% of the notional value of your trade).

Therefore, on a EUR/USD trade with a notional size of 0.01 lot (1,000 units of EUR/USD),
the notional value of your position would be $1,169.20 (assuming your account currency is USD, and given the current price of EUR/USD = 1.1692).

And margin on this position would be $2.92 (that’s ¼ of 1% of the notional value).

If your account currency is something other than USD, then the calculated margin would be slightly different — but, nowhere near $38.96. I have no idea where that figure came from.

2 Likes

Thank you kindly Clint . I enclose a screen shot so as you can see where the figure $38.96 comes from . On this demo account.

After placing a 0.01 lot size on the EUR/USD

I am quite bemused by the whole thing . or perhaps I am doing something very stupid. Account currency is USD

5570.39 - 5531.45= 38.96

have a fab day

well you need to start with a more realistic balance,like $500-$1,000, unless you’re planning on starting with 50k when you go LIVE

1 Like

Isn’t that just how much its cost you to open your current trades so if it costs me say $250 to open 1lot then it would show Margin: 250 so you must have like 20 lots open

(EDIT) isn’t that how much Margin you need to open these trades.

are you sure you opened 4lots and not 40 lots .? lol
or has AVA changed there leverage and Margin requirements.?

Thank you . I am not sure the lot size should change as the balance goes up . it looks very peculiar .

Here is another Screen shot , With just one position open today now, AUD/USD

SIZE 0.10 .

Based on your screen-shot, it’s apparent that:

• you bought AUD/USD at a price of approximately 0.7380, and

• your account carries a margin rate of 5% (not 0.25%, as the AVA website advertises).

The notional value of your 0.10 lot AUD/USD position was $7,380 (approximately) when you entered your position. Therefore, 5% of $7,380 is $369 margin.

5% required margin corresponds to maximum allowable leverage of 20:1 (not 400:1, as the AVA website advertises).

Contact AVA for an explanation of your leverage/margin settings.

1 Like

Lot size is usually expressed in the quote currency, that is 1 lot of EURUSD is 100 000 USD, one lot of USDJPY is 100 000 JPY.
If you want to calculate a fraction of the lot simply multiply 100 000 on the fraction, i.e. 0.01 lot is 100 000 * 0.01 = 1000 units of quote currency.

Now pip value. One pip equals 0.0001 from the lot size, i.e. for 1 lot pip value is 100 000 *0.0001 = 10 units.

Simple as that.

Thank you Clint . That makes sense now . I am running my AVA account through a third party host called XM , maybe this has something to do with it also . As I am on a MAC computer with MT4 as a windows app …

One of my real accounts is looking like it is 400:1 . So it is just this demo account that is like this.

All a bit confusion . I have got to the point with my strategy all worked out and running ok . Now I am working on my risk management . So need the correlation with the numbers to be correct.

I will figure it out

cheers

R

:slight_smile:

You are totally wrong.

Lot size is expressed in terms of the [U]base currency[/U].

I’m glad it’s getting sorted out.

I know how annoying it can be, when you think you’re broker is picking your pocket :grin:

is that Possible ?

Why Would XM host your trading from another Broker AVA ?

You would be better off with ICmarkets at the moment surely

Hi there , MT4 is quite hard too get to work on a MAC , well not hard just a pain in the butt . You have to run something called WINE , to run windows applications .

I like AVA but they do not have a link on their site for a MAC friendly MT4 , But XM does on their home page under platforms. I don’t have an account with them. Demo or real.

Once installed you can then change your settings and away you go.

hope that helps.

:slight_smile:

AVAtrade was the first broker i tested there setup is not the best Haven’t realy got a good word to say about them.

Use WINETRICKS i run 2 brokers on a Linux computer and they are fine if your getting lag then open MarketWatch Rightclick on it and click on Hide all it will run faster.

Oh yes, but the rest of calculations should be correct I guess. Thanks for correcting.

Very logical point; so many new traders miss that point & they suffer in their live.

I think this is a very good point also . I have thought of this before. I may well bring the demo account down to the same as the real one and test again . So long as the main ratio is correct as pointed out by Clint here .

cheers

All the best! In addition, try to follow the same parameters like, leverage, lots size etc.