Lot Size of 1 (not 1 unit - 1 pair) vs demo

I just graduated and I’m in the process of looking for a broker.

1. I just looked at Oanda (MM) and see that some people on their forum recommend using a lot size of 1 pair ($1) instead of opening a demo account.

Does anyone know of a problem with this idea? Suggestions on what to look for when I examine it further?

I haven’t verified this yet, but I got the impression that I would still get the same spread as everyone else.

Assuming that it’s true, would they keep fractions of a penny in my account? Obviously the spread of .9 on EURUSD would be less than $0.01.

1. I haven’t spent much time, but I don’t see any comments about Oanda in this forum. Any comments would be appreciated.

FoxGuy

A $10 Oanda account will have the same trade execution and spread as a $10,000 Oanda account. This is fine to use as a demo or practice account. There are a few other brokers that have cent accounts IBFX and LiteForex do. I am sure there are more. A cent account at other brokers may have different leverage and spreads then a micro or mini account. Check this out before you open an account, this may not matter to you but you should know what the differences are. I like Oanda the charting is primitive on the java platform but the order placement and management is A+. You can always chart on an MT4 demo.

What is an MT4 demo? Where do I find it?

MT4 is short for metatrader 4 its the most common trading platform around for us retail traders. There are a ton of custom indicators, scripts and EAs (robot traders) for free just use Google. Most brokers offer MT4. Its great for charting. Just open a demo account at a broker that offers MT4. Oanda does offer MT4 however the smallest trade on Oanda mt4 you can place is 1000 units.

I think I remember reading that someone said that he would use MT4 to do his chart analysis but then use Oanda’s platform to enter his 1 pair trade. Someone else said that it would get really confusing. Do you have an opinion?

try it and see if you get confused all this stuff is free with demo accounts.

Thanks. I’m still interested in other opinions.