Lot Sizes -- Yes Again

I think it might be because it’s very hot and the air conditioning unit – (annnnnnduh I’m also suffering from a moldy brain.) BUT LOT SIZES. I need this explained to me like a 4 year old. Few words and small. Haha…ha… :sweat_smile:

How about we approach it with a perspective of… wanting to start with $100. I trust my strategies for wanting about $1 per pip move if that’s even possible… And which platforms have these lots, I’m assuming the big names like Forex .com and OANDA. I plan on mostly trading Euro/USD until I get more acquainted with it at some point. This is the only real concept I’m struggling with.

I’m already experienced with stock trades, and options-trading which to me has been the most difficult. So really, it’s mostly these little forex changes like lot sizes that I’m struggling with.

A lot is a unit measuring a transaction amount. You can also give this a read “What are Lot sizes?

1 Like

Hello.
That’s a good question and I love helping people!
In forex, lot sizes are like how much money you use to trade. It can be a small amount or a big amount. Bigger lot sizes mean you can trade more, while smaller lot sizes mean you trade less. It’s like having different sizes of toys to play with. Some are big, and some are small, and you can choose which one you want to use.
In forex we have 4 kinds of lot sizes;

1. Standard Lot: It’s like a big toy. One standard lot is equal to 100,000 units of the base currency.
  2. Mini Lot: It’s like a medium-sized toy. One mini lot is equal to 10,000 units of the base currency.
  3. Micro Lot: It’s like a small toy. One micro lot is equal to 1,000 units of the base currency.
  4. Nano Lot: It’s like a tiny toy. One nano lot is equal to 100 units of the base currency.
    I tried to explain it most easily.
    Best Luck/
1 Like

That part makes sense.

I couldn’t understand the math format in the article. If I want something close to a $1 per pip, I reckon it would be the micro lot. But I’m not sure, I think the article was trying to say you divide the base by the quote I think? And something else…

The Math layout for some reason I’m just not catching onto it.

The Base divided by quote and something else… I think.

no - you’re actually out by a factor of 10, there! :open_mouth:

see if this explanation helps you (it applies to pairs where you’re trading something against the USD, e.g. EUR/USD, GBP/USD, AUD/USD etc.): the pip-value is always $10 per pip for a full lot, and $1 per pip for a mini-lot, and $0.10 per pip for a micro-lot (and that’s true whatever size your leverage is)

honestly, that would be suicidal

the general rule of thumb, when starting out, is that you should have a minimum of $250 in the account to trade a micro-lot safely (that’s $0.10 per pip, as mentioned above)

if you want to trade at $1 per pip, which is a mini-lot, you should have 10 times that amount ($2,500) to be safe and sensible

you can start with $100, but if you do that, applying the same principle, you’d want the pip value to be about $0.04 per pip, because $100 is 40% of $250

there are brokers where you can trade in units that size (Oanda is one - there are others, too), which is 40% of a micro-lot, or 4% of a mini-lot, or 0.4% of one lot

3 Likes

It is also important to consider stop loss ie the amount that you are prepared to lose on each trade. But I don’t want to digress into a hobbyhorse of mine ‘regulations regarding leverage’.

2 Likes

My stoplosses are usually extremely tight. It worked for stocks, but pennystocks aren’t moving clean these days. In stock terms it could be about .02-.03.

Options I do ok, but they just struggle moving fast enough against time decay.

I don’t know why I mixed up micro and mini. I look at a reference all the time. It has to be the mold-brain again. :sweat_smile: