Luck or skill?

I believe in skill… luck at the beginning, maybe, but not last for ever. I trade forex… and I used to try not to get any loss … and I had to keep my positions for months… but it is not useful for your trading skill and psychology, I see that…

Its always very much important for the traders that they should develop their skills such that surviving in this highly risky forex market becomes possible and achieving financial success is possible.

I agree, the simpler the better. fx is not difficult. Actually, if all knowledge keeps you questioning if you should enter, you will not enter and never make a trade. So skill is required, but more mentally.

Some traders are Lucky in their trading so they are able to get profits easily. But mostly i see traders are getting loss and the reason for their losses could be many :smiley:

please provide any proof of his financial results. Such traders would be immediately contacted by funds/banks because such a talent cannot be wasted with just 8000 pounds

1 Like

And one of the most important reason would be lack of money and risk management for sure.

If we can manage our trading funds easily then it will also give us the ability to earn some good income as the risks will remain lower…

Thank you Mehmet83 for sharing this. It is a quite an interesting case. I guess it has to do with both luck and skill. I think that the most effective thing here is that your friend keeps his trading simple. Yes, he needs to learn a bit more about the trading matter and perhaps develop his strategy but if all the mentioned steps are working then good for him. Although I was quite surprised that he didn’t know that the trades can go short and that candlesticks existed :smiley: But I admire his courage and his intuition. After all people who trust their gut usually succeed.

The problem with relying on luck is that it runs out sooner or later.
The original post was made about an year ago, is Michael as success? Did he continue trading in the same way?

Hello mlawson, I do agree with you, luck has definitely been on his side and I’m not sure if or when it will run out, as I mentioned earlier he continues to trade the same way on his personal account and is progressing successfully, I don’t really want to give out numbers here as I received numerous PM before and was accused of lying and attention seeking :wink:

Hello sebastiano,

I absolutely agree with you, its a bizarre case. by the way after I told him he can also trade short not only long, he has made good profits from it and recently thanked me very much :slight_smile: he now also considers the news before placing trades. Like you said I think the key to his success is keeping trading simple and believing his strategy with a very strong mind set.

Well, sometimes things that appear “mysterious” at first glance make complete sense when you simply examine all the observed facts dispassionately, so let’s see whether doing that makes sense of this “strange” case? …

(i) Your friend is 18 years old
(ii) His results are fantastic (and I’m using the word in its literal sense of “fantasy”)
(iii) He didn’t know that you can trade short as well as long, but in spite of that …
(iv) He’s working for a hedge-fund …

And most importantly of all …

(v) You were at one point openly soliciting private messages for further information (though apparently you’ve now edited a post or two to remove that part)

To me, that all adds up to a pretty coherent picture.

The [I]surprising[/I] thing, from my perspective, is that the moderators haven’t done anything about it. [B][U]Yet[/U][/B].

Hello Lexy, Hope you are doing well, On a separate note, Thank you for your contribution not only on this thread but other threads too as I have learnt valuable information from you.

Coming back to your post, l don’t understand why moderators should take any action since I only shared my story and wanted to hear other traders opinions? is this against the site rules? I’ve not once promoted anything or offered any services and have no intentions either.

After witnessing Michael’s success my primary objection was to understand how Michael was so successful as I was boiling to enter the markets myself but I knew that if I lost my investment it would have hurt me whereas for Michael it didn’t really matter. I am really glad that I created this post as people pointed out that Michael’s story is a mix of luck and skill, at this point I decided to hold back and go through the pip school and create my own strategies with tight risk management.
By the way.

by the way, I only edit my post to correct my grammar :wink:

Good luck

And when greed affects the way a trader places his trades, he is bound to lose.

Anecdotal reference. My most profitable trades were those not using candlesticks.
I guess luck can beat strategy.
My worst times have always been because of greed.
What I must learn is never greed. Trade going as planned? good. Dont try to push it more. There was a reason you set a take profit, dont try to open a new trade just because the other one is doing good!

I agree with you about greed, it always ends by closing a door. But I do not think that luck outweighs the strategy, there are good spins and bad spins, just that.

What do you use if you don’t use candlesticks?

If after 5 years you are still trading than probably it is not luck. THe key is to attain a meaningful trading capital. Either you can apply for a position at a prop trading company or start to manage a portfolio at a licensed company.

1 Like

Both skills and luck are important in Forex trading. Skills are important if don’t have good skills you can’t become a successful trader because you can’t just rely on luck.

Hi,

If you are going to trade for short-term, you need luck and skills. Because Forex market is volatile and liquid in nature. For long-term trading, you need skills more than luck.