Market hours?

Hi guys, may i know what’s the market overlap time for Asian and london
and london and us?

Because i see from different sources, i get different timing by an hour.
For example babypips asian and london over lap is 4-5pm (GMT + 8)

But other sites i’ve encountered shows me 3-4pm(GMT + 8)

Am i missing out something? Thanks.

It all depends on how you define the “normal” business day.

If you use 8am-5pm local time as the “normal” business day in each location, then the relationship between Tokyo, London and New York is as follows:

Time
(GMT)

23:00 — Tokyo business day begins (8am JST)

07:00 — London business day begins (8am BST)

08:00 — Tokyo business day ends (5pm JST)

12:00 — New York business day begins (8am EDT)

16:00 — London business day ends (5pm BST)

21:00 — New York business day ends (5pm EDT)

The Tokyo business day overlaps the London business day by 1 hour (07:00-08:00 GMT)

The London business day overlaps the New York business day by 4 hours (12:00-16:00 GMT)

The Tokyo/London overlap will change in the fall, when London returns to standard time.

Note:

JST = Japanese Standard Time = GMT + 9

BST = British Summer Time = GMT + 1

EDT = Eastern Daylight Time (U.S.) = GMT - 4

Hi clint, thanks for the detailed explanation.

One thing i don’t get is what you meant by change in the fall at the last part?

Fall = Autumn, October time for the northern hemisphere.

fartist here’s a link to a clock I like to use. it detects your local time and gives you the information on when markets are opening, when they are closing, and when they will reopen once closed.

Forex Clock | Forex Session Times | Forex4Noobs

Correct. Northern hemisphere spring (March-April) and fall (September-October) are confusing times in the worldwide forex market, because of all the various time changes occurring on different dates in various countries.

Between April and September (roughly), and then again between October and March (roughly), market hours and market overlaps stabilize — and, for a few months, market hours are less confusing.

In the spring and fall of 2009, I posted a list of market hours for about 19 different countries which are significant forex participants. I guess it’s time to update that list, and post it again.

I’ll post [B]The 24-Hour Forex Trading Day — Updated[/B] in a separate thread on this (Newbie Island) forum, today.

Ok thank you guys!
Im from singapore, so we don’t have winter, fall or summer etc.

It’s sunny all year round!
Thanks hordane for that link :smiley: