Market Open hours

If the market is said to be 24 hours, why do I keep hearing “…keeping your position open until the next day” and if there is a daily close, what time zone does the market follow?

Close is usually when the US market closes. However, daily bar opens will depend on the broker.

The retail forex market does not close on a daily basis. It closes for the weekend on Friday (or Saturday), and reopens on Sunday (or Monday), depending on your location.

However, at a particular time each weekday, each broker closes all the daily candles in their platform, and opens new daily candles. Here in the U.S., that time is typically 5 pm New York time. At that time of day, trading volume is extremely low, not only in the U.S., but all around the world. So, that time of day represents a lull in the trading day (worldwide), prior to an increase in volume as trading in Asia ramps up.

Intraday traders who concentrate on trading the high-volume periods of the trading day, such as the London/New York Overlap Period, normally close their positions before the so-called “close” of the trading day. In certain circumstances, however, they might consider holding a position “overnight” – meaning into the next trading day.

Also, at the “close” of each trading day, each broker charges a roll-over fee on each open position. Closing an open position prior to the specified daily close avoids that fee, and some traders take such roll-over fees into account, when deciding whether to hold, or close, an open position.

The daily “close” varies somewhat from country to country, and from broker to broker. There is a good reason for brokers all over the world to adopt 5 pm New York time as their “daily closing time”, but not all brokers follow this schedule.

Your broker’s “daily closing time” will show up as the time each day when a daily candle closes, and a new daily candle opens. So, you can simply watch your charts to determine this time.

Here are quotes from two previous posts which should shed further light on your questions.

This quote is from an August 2011 post –

This quote is from an August 2012 post –

3 Likes

Wow. :blush: :blush: This was super informative and helpful Clint! :smiley: I get confused about this sometimes so super thanks for this! :smile:

Are you talking about daily close? It depends on your broker (which session they actually follow).

Thank you so much Clint, this is very informative. I have no misunderstanding in the topic anymore, I’m grateful.

Clint’s posts tend to be like that (i wish they’d employ him to re-write the educational pages, here), he’s a great advantage to the forum

thank you, Clint