Matty's Trades & Ideas - Journey of a Part Time Trader

It’s been a while since I’ve posted any type of public journal, but I thought I’d give it another shot. Hopefully it won’t be too much of a distraction for me. I’m not so good at tracking my trades, so I’m going to start posting them here.

I’m using a $5k account and will keep my risk per trade around 2%. My goal by the end of the year is to still have $5k in the account.

My strategy is a simple trend following system using mostly 4H & 1D charts and is based on what I’ve learned over the past few years, primarily over the past year since my results have improved considerably.

I’ll be mostly using:
-Bar chart (looks cleaner IMO)
-SMA’s (10 & 60 to confirm swings)
-Channels (easy visual for following trends)
-Break & Retest (S&R)
-Ichimoku lagging span (lagging line chart - helps spot B&R areas and other patterns easier by removing wicks)

Looking to keep this momentum going through 2026. Wish me luck.

IMPORTANT - Please don’t take my trades or comments as professional advice. I’m a part-time trader and far from professional. Do your own analysis before opening any trades.

11 Likes

Definitely! And thank you for starting it, will be watching with great interest and good wishes. :sunglasses:

3 Likes

GBPJPY - I like the look of this pair. Coming off a B&R, let’s see if it climbs back into that channel next week:

2 Likes

Soybeans - Looking at the Daily chart, it appears that price has broken out of its long-term base and is headed upwards. I will be looking a longs over the next few months:

1 Like

Copper - Precious metals took a nose-dive yesterday, which was long overdue. I don’t believe this bull run is anywhere close to finished yet, so I opened a long position. I could be wrong though.

My first position for this journal:

2 Likes

And the bleeding continues:

On to the next one…
GBPCAD - 4H channel up and coming off a HL:


The trend also lines up with he daily chart:

1 Like

Opened 2 more positions…

AUDNZD - Based on the daily trend and the B&R area:

Soybeans - Half position that I plan to build on, based on price making a HH & HL on the daily chart:

Existing position GBPCAD - trying to get out of the red after a pullback:

1 Like

The Yen is falling. I put a buy order in on EURJPY @ 184.40:

2 Likes

Opened a new position on Silver, I plan to add to this, as price goes up.
Also, an update on current, open positions:

1 Like

I manually opened this position at a better price. The B&R level seems to be holding:

2 Likes

I opened a half position on WTOil. Why a half position? Well, the 4H chart looks like an ideal setup:

But you can’t ignore the longer term trend:

2 Likes

Not too much to report today. Update on open positions:

4 Likes

Opened another silver position and moved the SL up on my original one:

AUDNZD - Moved my SL up to protect the position. This one is at 1:0.7 so I might close it soon.

I’ve been sick all week and my wife just came down with it. Turns out it’s Covid. I have a Dr appointment later today so hopefully we can squash this thing.

2 Likes

Hope you get through it! Covid is no fun.

1 Like

Thank you. This is our first time having it, we’ve been so careful because we both have compromised immune systems. I’m feeling a bit better today, thankfully, but my wife is pretty rough right now. I am quite concerned about her.

1 Like

Very sorry to hear it, and wishing you both better quickly and uneventfully.

There was quite a lot of it around here (UK), not so long ago. I knew several people who had the variant that was around just before Christmas. Don’t know if that’s the same one you have now. People said they had upset stomachs with it, in addition to the usual covid respiratory symptoms.

(I think vaccinations didn’t stop people from catching it, but greatly reduced its severity if/when they did. This is what a couple of doctors told me, anyway.)

At one point the news stories here were all pretty panic-laden, expecting another really big, really serious breakout which didn’t actually happen (but instead of that, our hospitals were suddenly full of people with an unusually severe strain of flu!).

Wishing you well!!

1 Like

Thank you, I appreciate it.

I’m up to date on my Covid shots, so for me it just feels like a really bad cold. My wife has had several shots but is not up to date with the most recent one. She tried booking it several times but our local drug store has not been able to get them. I worry about it going to her lungs because she already has respiratory issues.

1 Like

I’m really sorry to hear that, @MattyMoney. I hope you both make a full recovery soon! :pray:

1 Like

Thank you, @SovoS. They’ve got us on Paxlovid, so here’s hoping.

1 Like

A couple of updates…

TP hit on this one:

Closed this manually:

1 Like