Messi to leave Barcelona - Is it true?

Didn’t think this would ever happen! Too much money involved, that Barca couldn’t pay without having La Liga change current regulations.

Where to next will be the question of the year!

Neither did I. How could they just let go of such a legendary club icon, moreover because of a dispute over a pay check which is already very high. How much more money does he want ? Is $ 30 million per year not enough for him ?

This is a strange one for me. I understand there being a limit, but once he understands there’s a limit, if he really wanted to stay, I would think he could make the sacrifice. For the club he’s spent his entire career at.

Can it really be just about money? Were Barca’s wage cuts just too high for him to consider - he’s knows what he’s worth better than anybody? Was Barca looking for a way out that took the blame off of them - “We tried our best, but La Liga is forcing our hand.”?

I really think Barca could have figured something out, unless they didn’t want to because of their debt situation.

So, PSG looks like the likely suitor. And just when you thought you had it all figured out, Barca goes and sues PSG for the transfer. Actually, I wanted to check to make sure I had that right. Looks like one of the Barcelona “fan owners” is suing, and not Barcelona directly. A bit different than what happens in the US as far as “subscribers” and fan ownership is concerned.

Check it out: Barcelona member files complaints to block Messi move to PSG | Reuters

Looks like it’s delaying the deal. But I think most likely it will happen. Also, did some more research on the deal Barca and Messi agreed to. Apparently, by law, a team in La Liga can’t cut someone’s wages lower than 50% of the contract, hence the roughly $420 million in the new deal, down from $674 million. But still, at a 50% savings, Barcelona couldn’t swing it due to their financial problems.

Really crazy, and very sad for Messi that it all ends this way.

2 year deal with PSG confirmed. Messi is in Paris today. Here we go!

Mbappe, Neymar and Messi. Unbelievable.