Microsoft find Russians hacking the GOP

Yet another reported incident of Russian interference:

What’s the goal here? Contact details of international parties interested in learning how to effectively run campaigns? Information harvesting for later malware or phishing attacks? Normal espionage?

I’ll weigh in…
Thinking it’s normal espionage. If you think we don’t do it too…
Not trying to minimize the effect. And not saying we should not do
everything to stop it, of course!

Oh absolutely I believe we do.

I just find it strange that it’s still on-going considering how out-in-the-open evidence is of past espionage by state or not-state sponsored actors. Perhaps the thought is that even with the broader public aware, it doesn’t really matter to “them”.If they get what they want in secret, great. If they get what they want, but everybody else knows, still great.

I am quite frightened of these hackers as they can attack me as well if they can attack such a huge networks. I was quite stunned when I heard the news that the Reddit forum lost their data due to the attack of the hackers. Is there any way to feel free while working online?

I think you should just be aware of your surroundings. Be aware of what sites you visit, what online services you use, who you give your personal and financial information to, and what information you share publicly. Obviously, some things you can’t get away from sharing. And then create a routine to monitor that information, like your credit history, your bank statements, bank account, etc, to make sure what is supposed to be happening is happening, and what shouldn’t be happening isn’t.

And then run a virus scan or malware scan every now and then. Zero day exploits are a thing, without any way to prevent them. So you’re never 100% safe if you’re online, but you can minimize the damage immensely if something were to happen.

Maybe also use a password manager, back up your data, and update your softwares.

I think it is really hard to stay secure on the online sources. I have recently read a news of hacking attempt on the forum reddit which ends up with the loss of important data and email addresses. I am quite disappointed with the surveillance authorities which are unable to protect us!