Modification of the Triple SMA system by robopip

Hiho,

first “serious” post. Here goes:

I was looking at a few of the “what to do after school” trading systems and the systems mentioned in this site’s blogs. After taking the personality quiz I reviewed my trading prospects and decided I’d trade on daily charts. So I tried a few systems like Triple SMA, HLHB, Cowabunga, etc. with 26 currency pairs on daily charts.

Guess what. After implementing an EA and a few real small modifications to the Triple SMA 3.0 system, it seems to work very well on daily charts and on the majority of the tested currency pairs.

The main modification is to have a dynamic S/L range. I.e. use 1.5 * ATR(13) on the weekly data (i.e. the average weekly trade range of the last quarter) to determine S/L and half that for the point at which to take half the profit off the table. I limit the S/L to max 200 pips though and take half profit of at least 100 pips.

Also, I’m not sure whether the original system was supposed to take profit as soon as possible, i.e. not only after a candle closes. I do :slight_smile: S/L is trailed only on closed candles though.

The semi-dynamic T/P and S/L seems to help adjust for “strange” currency pairs a lot!
I back-tested 3 years on 26 pairs (my broker doesn’t give me CAD/CHF nor NZD/CAD) with very promising results. Position size for back-testing was always 0.02 lots on a 1000 EUR account.

I might start trading this live and automated soon on all available and tested pairs, if things continue to look good. Risk seems quite ok. I’ll update this thread when I have more data. I might even publish the resulting EA. We’ll see…

Feedback is very welcome. Especially by robopip :slight_smile:

Happy pippin’!

Back-test data summary: fixed S/L (200 pips) and take half profit (@100 pips) first, then variable S/L and take profit:

And yes, I’m from a German-speaking country :slight_smile: