Mordengaard's trading journal (sort of)

Thanks for reading my journal. :slight_smile:
I hope itā€™ll be useful for someā€¦

I wish I started my journal earlier. I donā€™t want to write down every single detail of my trades. I rather take notes of what I did wrong, how I felt about certain tradesā€¦ and learn from the mistakes. And of course update at least once a week, how my balance looks like, what I did wrong etcā€¦

I think Iā€™m a real beginner. I finished reading babypips in December 2017 then I skipped demo trading and opened a live account in January. The reason I skipped demo trading is because I knew live trading very different due to the fact that I play with my own money and have to overcome the psychological challenges. So I jumped straight into real trading with small lots and slowly got used to it. The next challenge was overcoming fear and becoming more confident. For now, Iā€™ve already achieved that and I couldnā€™t be happier. :slight_smile:

Iā€™ve been serious about trading since the beginning, when I started reading babypips last December. I was so excited. The lessons were wonderful. And I didnā€™t even know there is anything like thisā€¦ like Forex. I heard of the stock market but I thought itā€™s a lot more complicated. And I have never been interested in finance and economics. Till now. I wish I could go back in time and study this major. Well, I guess for now I can go thru some free courses to educate myself (about economics). Iā€™m 26 now, canā€™t go back to universityā€¦

I certainly think Iā€™m still a beginner. Weā€™re beginners till we become profitable and understand the market. Iā€™ve learnt a lot since January (when I opened my first live account) and have never felt bored of it. I donā€™t like weekends anymore. I want to trade and look at the markets, candlesticks, news and so on. Weekends are boring because I know I canā€™t trade. Iā€™m not obsessed with it or anything, but I just REALLY (I mean really) enjoy trading, looking at the charts and reading stuff. And I started feeling this last December when I started my journey. Since then, every second Monday to Friday is exciting. And I canā€™t wait for Monday on the weekends.

I donā€™t make serious money but I know I have learnt a lot, especially from my mistakes. Itā€™s a great experience so far and I love every aspect of it. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Update:

I opened a few positions yesterday (Monday) but Iā€™ll let them run for a whileā€¦ I prefer swing trading over day trading.

Day trading is too fast for me and I tend to become stressed out. Letā€™s just stick to swing or position trading.

I closed my trades. Balance is $539, up from $500 since last week.
I try not to be greedy. I think I could have let it run for a few more days, but I donā€™t want it to turn around. I wish I knew the solution for thisā€¦

Update later.

I think:
If you can rationally explain why you think so, you got your solution. If not, then that question should not arise since you would be certain that this was your A-Game move. Everything else is just a matter to the mental game I suppose.

Either you had good reasons to close the position or not. Doing so and feeling bad afterwards about it is either because A: No satisfactory plan / exit strategy concerning the reasoning or B: A mental leak. You cannot feel bad about missing out on profits if you followed the plan. That stuff might cost you your career.

Concerning the mental game, this might be proving very helpful:

1 Like

@anon58863749 posted another Mark Douglas vid series. Iā€™m not sure if itā€™s the same one as above. Didnā€™t check.

I viewed all four videos. It can be very dry at times but tremendously valuable! I highly recommend it.

KC

@Weirdough and @frandlost thank you for these videos, Iā€™ll check them out.

Iā€™m happy with the profits. :slight_smile: I just wish I could let it run longer. How does one (especially position traders) know that the market is going to go to the right direction for many many weeks? <<< Iā€™m searching for an answer haha.

Update: $550.

Nice!

Seems like you are being patient. That is key.

What size lot are you trading and why are you entering/exiting trades when you do?

Not looking to advise just wondering!

KC

Also been wondering how to evaluate directions further into the future. I believe the more you look ahead, the less reliable it will be. So we probably shold not bother too much. I am right now trying to trail my SLs as TP areas and looking for chart patterns / candle stick patterns that signal a change.

Also I like to think of what I would do if I wasnā€™t in a position, where would I enter in which direction? If I would enter there in the same direction, I should probably think of adding to the position, if I would take the opposite direction, I should probably be thinking about closing my current trade there as well (at latest).

1 Like

Thanks. :slight_smile:

Now Iā€™m trading 0.01 lots because Iā€™m trying out other pairs as well. Have to be cautious and patientā€¦ And I stick to higher timeframes of course.

I open and close positions according to support and resistance areas. But sometimes I close the position earlier if Iā€™m in good profit.

Yeah itā€™s difficult to determine where I should close the trade, especially when youā€™re in profit. I try not to be greedy but at the same time I think itā€™ll go furtherā€¦ so itā€™s a big challenge. I rather keep the profits and open another position later. For now, this can teach me not to be greedy.

2 Likes

Closing the week with $550. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

This is an interesting take also. Most people say to try demo for 6 months first while some say to just dive right in. Iā€™m in the latter camp especially if itā€™s just a small amount of money youā€™re working with.

Iā€™m very interested in how you got interested in all this. How did you end up wanting to learn fx trading? For me crypto was my gateway drug. I started with (not even bitcoin!) ethereum and then when the crash happened, started looking into forex and equities also.

@Weirdough Looks like youā€™re also coming from the crypto realm?

@purtle

If you can control yourself then you should jump right into the markets with a few hundred bucks and trade small lots. So later you wonā€™t have to deal with emotional challenges and pressure. :slight_smile: But unfortunately some people risk too much and lose everything quickly right at the beginningā€¦

Yeah, this is going to sound stupid but I actually saw a Forex advertisement, one of the brokerā€™s ad. I havenā€™t had any idea what it wasā€¦ So I clicked on it, because I was bored. Then it reminded me of the stock market and I started to research. After a few days I came across the Forex subreddit and found useful materials about where to start. Babypips was the very first one so I thought this is going to be the best start for someone like me. And since then Iā€™ve became obsessed with it haha. :slight_smile:

Journal update:

Last week I was experimenting with multiple pairs. With this, I broke the rule of only trading the NZDUSD. However, I donā€™t feel bad about this because this and the previous week was profitable. :smiley:

At least I stick to higher timeframes and donā€™t risk my money. :slight_smile: Iā€™m very happy about this.

Iā€™m really keen to trade multiple pairs. I see almost everyone does this and feels like Iā€™m missing out on so many opportunities. From now on, Iā€™ll be looking at other major and minor pairs as well. No gold or oil 'tho. Only FX.

Accordingly to weekly and daily timeframes, Iā€™ll enter multiple positions with 0.01 lots if I find an opportunity. SL and TP will be set before I open a trade. This is also crucial. You must (approximately) determine when you want to close the trade before you open it.

I am on board with this! I think itā€™s critical!

Itā€™s been a lot of talk on BP about opening a number of small lot size positions. A few of them without stop loss. What is your stop loss and take profit strategy parameters?

After your initial trade is on how do you decide on your other trade placements?

Thanks for posting, KC

1 Like

I determine the stop loss according to the daily/weekly charts and also where the candle closes (below or above support/resistance level).

About taking profitā€¦ I try not to be greedy so I usually close it around $10-$20ā€¦ I know this is not the best way but many times it turned around and felt bad about not closing it. However, it happened numerous times that I let it go till $30-40 profit. I think the TP should be the next support or resistance area. I try to balance it. Try not to be greedy but donā€™t close it too early. This is a challenge at the moment. :slight_smile:

Update next week!

Anyway, one day I plan to share my analysis here on BP.

Why wold you do that? Just being in profit alone does not seem to me like a factor that justifies the closing of a trade.

@purtle
Yes, I am still only learning on XBTUSD

Oh wow. Was it on a website or from a TV commercial? Haha oh man the ad men will be so happy to see this story. Would you say though that youā€™ve always been into ā€œmoney makingā€ schemes? Iā€™ve always wondered how people get into these things without any sort of financial exposure/background.

Ahh I see! Howā€™s that been going?