Most reliable candle stick pattern?

i have been trying to get better at reading chart patterns. which among the patterns is the most reliable? how do you ensure the price moves according to the pattern? thanks.

I would advise not to just search for candlestick patterns, look for the chart set-up - look further back and look at a higher time-frame. Its not good to be short on a text-book sell pattern when the market is going up.

2 Likes

Your question is like “which car is the best?” :wink: according to your question, that depends on time frame, instrument and how YOU will use it. If you want to get this knowledge, do own research, draw conclusions. Regards Greg

1 Like

Yep, no candlestick pattern works for long period of time. As my enemy said.If price have to rise,it doesnt mean that if it falls 5 minutes before that it wont rise,no matter what pattern made that 5 minutes move downside . Chart set-up gives you an idea what is happening now . Your final goal should be to understand what is happening in markets,rather than what candlestick will be next

2 Likes

What @tommor said.

I think a really good beginner habit is to go out to weekly TF and draw horizontal lines or rays at the highs and lows.

Then go down to the daily and do the same thing. And then the 6h or 4h, and then the 1hr.

Now looking at the 1h or 4h, pick a pair like EURUSD or USDJPY and just watch what price does around those lines are different times during the day, especially London open and NY open and their overlap.

Do that for days and weeks and maybe even months while you’re reading and learning. Then try to start guessing where you think price will go.

I think that’s a good start.

3 Likes

At a fundamental level, it is important for a trader to understand what is happening in the markets, why candlestick patterns are present, and whether they are reliable or not at the given time.

And I believe that the best way to do this is by looking for chart setups because they provide more market information than a single candlestick pattern.

3 Likes

If you use candlestick patterns in isolation, you’ll probably end up frustrated.

It’s important to understand the overall context of the market (“market structure”) first before even looking at individual candlestick patterns. And when identifying a certain candlestick pattern, you need to understand the price action…what’s going on behind the pattern in terms of buying and selling pressure.

For example, pin bars (shooting staars/hammers) and engulfing patterns can be reliable but only in certain contexts.

3 Likes

Samewise has given good advise. I think you would find Dojis or Engulfing to identify at the S/R lines or trend lines useful to look for but also should look for an additional confirmations.

Indeed. Always think of the Sod’s law or Pareto’s 20/80 rule. If you do, you’re more likely to be fine.

1 Like