Multi-Time Frame Trend Trading

OK, Now for your other two questions. Missing a limit entry by 1 or two pips. I don’t use limit entries any more for Forex. When I first came to Forex I always did because I didn’t like my broker ripping me off on at the market entries. Now I have a broker that fills Forex automatically, so I just enter at the market orders and rarely get slippage more than a pip or two, which is adjustable on the MT4 platform I use. So my solution is to not use limit orders. If your Forex broker is ripping you off on at the market orders, find another broker. That advice does not apply to other markets.

If you have to use limit orders to enter orders while you are at work and such, you will have to live with either trading with a few less pips in your favor, or missing a few orders by a few pips. There’s no way I know of to have your cake and eat it too with limit orders.

As far as not manually entering when you see a good entry, you need to have a check list of conditions you require for entry. When everything is checked off, always enter. Once again, this is a matter of making it mechanical, so you don’t have to make a decision. Make the decision in advance and create your check list. Then either revise the checklist, or have the discipline to abide by it.

I’ve tried to answer all your questions as best I can, but if you have more or my answer was not clear, fire away. I’m sure this was helpful to others as well.

Nice job, Hachiko! If everyone is happy with this version of the indicator, I will put it in a zip folder (with a text file of your post as instructions) and add it to our Essential Downloads section of the BB DNA chat room.

Thanks MP; but the credit goes to IronHeart and NorwegianBlue for their original codes. They are much better at this and can probably make this colour coded which would be clearer.

OK, as soon as you guys are happy with it, reply here with any finished product. I’m not an MT4 coder myself nor do I use that platform to initiate trades (though I do often keep it open if custom indies likes this are installed which are relevant to my current strategy).

Ok, no worries, I’ll go ahead and colour code this and put it on a different part of the screen.

Currently, this indicator will overwrite the candle time indicator, which is a useful tool that tells you when the candle is due to end.

I’ll work on this tomorrow :slight_smile:

Thanks IronHeart

We had a situation occur twice in chat today. There was what appeared to be a CBL entry, once on AUDUSD and once on EURJPY where I was sure it wasn’t trade-able, but I just couldn’t explain why. Bee submitted the question to Tymen’s thread and Master Tang was kind enough to answer. The trades were both in the “No Trade” gray area of a formation Tymen named Denise. It’s on the below link. As Tymen said, his methods are not for beginners.

http://forums.babypips.com/190526-post2886.html

I’ll suggest that if you want to trade Tymen’s system you print out the pdfs from Tymen’s thread or under the essentials header in the chat room and go over and over them until formations like Denise are understood and can be easily recalled under the stress of trading. I can’t hope to explain Tymen’s system as well as others, but if anyone has a question about Tymen’s method, after studying the materials, I urge you to submit your question with a chart to Tymen’s thread at:

http://forums.babypips.com/newbie-island/32400-finest-trend-trading.html

Hey Grav, how do you get in the green and yellow zone of Rachel and Denise? I don’t see squeezes clearly that often. :frowning:

Are there any objective assessments/tips in identifying squeezes?

Well gee Bee, it looks kinda like a squeeze, you know?

Really, the entry to the area described as Denise could be from the minor contraction that usually occurs at the end of every sausage and bubble, or it could be a breakout down from a squeeze. The only difference from the short lived contraction that is at the end every bubble and sausage, or a squeeze is that for a squeeze the contraction at the end of the previous formation is horizontal and more elongated, like a narrow horizontal tunnel or pipe that contains the price action. So if it contracts and opens again quickly it’s just a contraction, but if it contracts, Bollinger bands go horizontal and and stay contracted for several candles, it’s a squeeze. An extreme example of a squeeze is the daily chart on eurchf right now May 4, 2010.

yeah… sounds simple isn’t it? :stuck_out_tongue: i’ll just bet… i’m not alone. :smiley:

i’ll look at it right now. many thanks!

A good example indeed. Nice short entry off the top BB on April 12 just as the squeeze starts.

You are not alone at all beehjae;
I would offer that the EUR/CHF chart to which Graviton referred is also a good example of what has become an issue with the BB DNA method since the “no-trade” areas were defined. See my posting and chart on Tymen’s thread.

One of the charts we were referring to in todays chat.

E/U M15 with Fib retracement

Thanks Hach, I needed that till I lost my the second S of KISS.:smiley:

NorwegianBlue, I thought my broker has fixed price for spread.

Wish PA goes stright up or down :slight_smile: hmm …

EU beating keeps on going all afternoon, what a nice pip day:D

Yes, bless those Greeks. Hope they get all their problems worked out well. Good day indeed.

graviton, thanks for taking the time earlier in the chat room to explain the late entrys. I realise that the chat room is not the best place to ask questions like that.

can i ask, do you use the 1 or 2 candle cbl when entering?

If at all possible could someone recap some of the highlights or lessons learned in the chat room. It’s killing me that I can’t be there this week. I know I’m missing some valuable info:(:frowning:

Thanks to those who are posting charts. I’ll learn to do that someday, hopefully before Tymen returns so he won’t make fun of me :o So please continue posting charts of your good trades and even of your bad ones too. It really helps newer traders to learn about trend trading.

We had a fantastic trading day in the chat room. I think everyone made lots of good pips. We discussed lots of things, but one was the necessity of a trading plan.

This is all old hat to experienced traders, but for new traders it may be quite shocking to learn they will probably never be successful in Forex without a trading plan and the discipline to trade by it. The reason is simple, almost no one starts out as a great trader. I certainly didn’t. You have to learn to be a good trader, but you will learn very little without a good trading plan and the discipline to trade by it.

To say it another way, the way you improve in this business is to write a plan, trade by it for a while, improve the plan, and repeat as necessary. A horrible plan is better than no plan at all, because at least it can be improved. No plan means no progress, you just keep doing the same things hoping eventually something will change. Here’s a clue, it won’t. Write down a plan. Trade by it without deviation or exception. Improve the plan, repeat as necessary. The easy part is writing the plan. The hardest part is trading by it without deviation.

If you don’t trade your plan without deviation, and you lose, you will never know if it’s your plan that’s messed up, or if it’s your discipline that’s lacking. You can go round and round like that for precious months or years like I did. You have to fix one or the other to make progress. It’s a simple fact that you can’t improve your plan if you aren’t trading it. So you have to fix your discipline first, so that you can trade your plan, so that you can improve it.

If your problem is having the discipline to trade your plan in the first place, here’s something I did to get it down quick. OK, it’s silly, but I was taught this when I first started trading and it worked for me. I don’t mean to be mean, but my point is you MUST find something that works for you or you will never make in this business.

OK, here’s my confession. I like Popsicles in the summer (and hot cocoa in the winter) for treats. I’d buy a bag of Popsicles (or container of pre-mixed cocoa for winter, yes, with sugar, don’t preach to me), and I’d put a thick rubber band around my wrist. I keep a traders journal of every trade I make. At the end of every trade I’d evaluate whether I followed my trading plan without exception. If I did, I’d get a Popsicle, if I did not, I’d pull the thick rubber band way back and give the inside of my wrist a hard snap. Now this sounds odd, but after about 500 hard snaps on the wrist (I was a slow learner) and a few Popsicles something was reinforced deep in my subconscious. I found my discipline was getting better, and so did my trading plan. I started winning! If you have a discipline problem, find something that works for you and do it before you take another trade. So, let’s assume you’ll take care of the discipline problem what ever it takes because, if for no other reason, you are sick of losing and realize it’s the only way to win in this business.

So we can move to the trading plan. The goal of your trading plan is to make every decision you will need to make while trading, but in advance when you are calm and under no stress and can make your very best decisions. You’d think, gee, there are so many possibilities that’s almost impossible. Not really, you can just break it up into pieces.

We’ve looked at the 5 parts of every trade before. Remember? You remember. So let’s decide how you pick your entries. You’ve already done your in depth pair analysis and know which are most likely to trend (right?). Now you need a mechanical method of entering trades. Perhaps you have several methods, like enter off a squeeze, Tymen bubble entry, or a certain candle formation or what ever. List each one. Then make a check list of every condition that must be met for entry. Make it comprehensive. If you decide you need to modify it a little after using it a bit, do so, but not when trading.
You are never allowed to modify your trading plan while trading. If you are trading and you must make a modification, you must complete the trade, win or lose. Quit trading and take some time to clear your head and refresh, then modify your plan when you are calm and thoughtful. Tymen’s BB DNA and cbl are among the best entry methods I’ve seen, but I also have several others I use for special situations. How many ever you have, detail each so it’s so mechanical and complete that even your spouse or significant other couldn’t mess it up.

Once in a trade, it must be managed. Use my 5 lot system, or Tymen’s 2 lot system, or any trade management system(s) you prefer, but write it out, step by step, so it is very mechanical. And no fair changing from one system to another in the middle of a trade, unless that is your system, in which case it should be clearly written out so there is no question about when to change or when not to. As I said (sort of), this needs to be so clear, so complete and so mechanical that even a politician could do it without messing it up.

All that’s left now is your exit. When and how will you exit a winning trade? A losing trade? What is your emergency exit plan in case you lose your internet or your computer fails. I have an inexpensive back-up power supply so I don’t have to worry over that. What if there is some horrible news? What if a family member calls and needs help right away? Think of every reason and way that you might need to exit your trade and plan it all out in detail before the need to react.

Now you have a trading plan. It might not be perfect, but it’s better than 95% of traders that try to trade without one. You are working on that discipline problem and making good progress (my dad was a drill Sargent in the US Army, so don’t cry to me). You are not done yet couch potato! (Ha Ha, I spent the first 17 years of my life in boot camp, oh boy). You must trade it without exception, think about it, improve it, and repeat, till you’re old, like me. Once you have a winning plan, changes should be evolutionary rather than revolutionary. Your changes should be made in small and extremely well-tested increments in your most relaxed and thoughtful moments. I’ve been trading for over two decades and I review my trading plan every Saturday while the markets are closed.

And that’s all I have to say about that.

Happy Trading

Thanks for posting the chart of the EURUSD from today Hachiko. In chat I traded the long BB walk down using the 5 lot system, but did not trade the retracement back to a little above 50% as that was in the gray “No Trade” zone as identified by Tymen. I then got on the downswing back down again with a 5M cbl entry and traded it 5 lot all the way back down again. Many others in chat were getting some of this. Bless those Greeks.