Multi-Time Frame Trend Trading

Tokyo opened at2300GMT 0800 tokyo and in the first 3 minutes the bottom fell out 20 pips of EU. wonder what the Greeks did now.:smiley:
Sorry, was 10 minutes into it

It’s the USD that’s soaring. The USD is considered a safety play. USD moving up across the board. There was a credit lock-up in Europe early Monday morning.

So who is good at running automated backtesting?

I have some experience in the ways of backtesting.

if you are a good trader, then u should be able to handle mondays

Sure I can do it too - depending on time constraints.

Perhaps we can work together NB?

Pray, enlighten us with your wealth of experience, kind sir.

backtesting results aren’t reliable.

hahaham lmao!

Hach, please do not respond to flames. It’s just the rules of the thread. Thanks.

IH or NB, whoever has the time. I just wanted to run a back test of BB DNA entries, when the higher TF trend is in the same direction as the entry, and run three cases with the 5 lot system, 15 pip stops and increments, 20 pip stops and increments and 30 pip stops and increments. We can just use the higher TF trend defined as price above or below the BB Midband, the simple definition. The difficult part is to encode the BB DNA entry. Don’t blow a fuse on it, but if you see a way to do it, let me know.

Thanks

Hey Graviton,

Both myself and NB have already coded BB DNA entries, it wouldn’t take too much effort to implement the 5-lot system onto it.

I believe NB has already made good progress in doing this.

If not, though, then I can do it this coming weekend.

Hey great. Let me know what you come up with. I’m just working off experience on stop size. I could be dead wrong and not even know it. This will be great. Thanks.

Hi Grav,
GU did not go long yet even with the new (Boss). I could not resist again, (I just had a clicky finger today) and entered GU short around 18:30GMT but then finally at 22:45GMT left the GU for good with whopping 6 cents profit on that trade.:smiley:
Tokyo is open but did nothing for the GU, instead went now for the EU (again) from 18:30 GMT.:slight_smile: Nice CBL entry, M30.

BB DNA entries have been coded? Like EA style?

May I have one?

:wink:

Red

IronHeart, NorwegianBlue,

Whilst I don’t want to reinvent the wheel, I do appreciate that you guys have put a lot of effort into these programs and may prefer to keep them private.

As I keep missing good entries of the H1 and M30 TF’s on the 12 pairs I monitor, I am looking for a signal/alert to help me in this regard. I don’t trade off mt4 as I use Oanda (good spreads and $1 minimum trade) but I use mt4 for analysis as Oanda is poor in this regard.

How did you code the BB DNA and CBL element? Is it an indicator or an EA to tell you that an extreme candle has been reached? Also, can you recommend a site to learn mt4 coding?

Hope you can help.
Cheers,
hachi

Sorry. My bad :o

Must control… “Pips Of Death”

Graviton,
On yesterdays chat, you talked about how I could have avoided the stopout on the U/J trade. Main concepts seem to be:

Trend on TF below & above working TF must align for a “with the trend” entry.
Treat the change in trend below as a retracement entry to the trend of the TF above.
Do not trade against trend of TF directly above working TF

I was trying to get my head around these concepts as they appeared to preclude any entries using BB DNA as by definition they would all be Counter Trend trades. Unless, you wait for an extreme candle on the TF above and then drop down to your working TF to take the entry. Is this what you meant?

Then I saw your post this morning (my time)

“Counter trend would be simply against the main direction of the trend of my home TF, say 1h, and/or for me, against the direction of the TF above, or the 4H” and that we should treat CT as a “scalp”.

Could you help me understand when to take profit on a CT trade as I keep getting stopped out when I could have got a few pips at least?

Initial results using traditional Tymen entry from 2009/01/01 to today, risking 2% of equity per trade.

USDJPY

Without reference to higher timeframe
Period  Profit(%)  Trades  Win/Loss(%) Win/Loss(Avg)   Max Drawdown(%)
30 min  -47.8        455     73/27       $26/-$112       50.0 
 1 hr   -14.6        233     80/20       $32/-$155       27.4 
 4 hr    14.7        125     82/18       $32/ -$86        5.7

With reference to higher timeframe
30 min    -3.9        33     72/28       $42/-$155        8.6
 1 hr     +3.6        31     87/13       $41/-$188        7.3
 4 hr     +2.1        51     80/20       $26/ -$86        4.8

EURUSD

Without reference to higher timeframe
 4 hr    -20.0       114      78/22      $17/-$141         -24.0

With reference to higher timeframe
 4 hr      +5.0       48      87/13      $24/-$83           -5.7

Referring to the higher time frame improves the win/loss and profit significantly.

Let’s hope the 5-lot system can get that profit % up, and drop the Avg.Loss down, 'cause 5% return over 18 months is not exactly thrilling me.

NB,
I know you said it was in the |_|, but since you are already referencing the higher TF; is there some way of altering the Stop Loss to take into account Graviton’s approach of looking at the lower TF.

E.g. Extreme candle and CBL on bottom BB. This will be an uptrend, so we are looking for higher lows. Thus, for a long entry, instead of setting initial SL as per Tymen’s extreme wick + a few pips rule; is it possible to drop a TF and then pick the lowest low of the candle after the extreme or some such thing?

Just wondering?
hachi