My experience as a Forex trader

Hi everyone,

I’ve had a very bad experience with Pepperstone over a period of many months.
So much so, that I’m in the process of setting up a “Class/Collective Action claim” against them.
I did have a one star review on Trustpilot, but as soon as I updated it with, Notice Of Class/Collective Action, my Trustpilot account was locked. Good old Trustpilot, as trustful as a bag of adders.
So, am asking for any like-minded, people, who feel that frequent price manipulation has led them to lose their hard earned capital, to get in touch with me. I hope that no one else has to experience what I did.
If anyone wants to see my full review or hundreds of screen shots as evidence, please let me know.

I never had trading price manipulation trouble with Pepperstone over 4 years or trading, apart recently from a high withdrawal conversion currency rate when I closed a small account. In fact, I would recommend this Broker for tight spreads and no commission rate.

And as you haven’t defined your issues, it is unlikely that any other poster on this forum would have suffered frequent price manipulation.

1 Like

Not asking for hundreds of screenshots but what happened?

Hi Tommor, thanks for your interest. It would be easier if I posted the Trustpilot review that I posted 30/11/2022. I went through Pepperstones complaints procedure. Total waste of time, as they didn’t answer any of my concerns.

Pepperstone review 14.03.2022 - 28.11.2022
First off, these are my opinions, my experiences. I can provide factual evidence, as in, screen shots, which will have my personal details removed.
End of review is an excerpt, (6. Key risks of trading) from Pepperstone’s PDS, (Product Disclosure Statement).
When I first started trading, I naively thought to somewhat increase the savings that I had made throughout my life. Did awful lot of learning, months and months. Did a lot of research on brokers, and after a lot of reading reviews, chose Pepperstone as the best bet.
I practiced trading on demo trading simulators. All a bit pointless. As it turns out, simulators, don’t react and reverse when you make a trade. No, why would they.
I have been enthusiastic in, learning all that I could about ”highly profitable setups”, levels, and fibs, and all the rest of it, ”Levels”, “Impulse waves”, “Pull-backs”, chart patterns, “W”s and “M”s. They also provide you with “Indicators”, for you to follow as well. So you can look at your e.g. “Stochastic indicator” to spot a reversal.
To be fair I did win a few of the early trades, but slowly and surely, the trades started to go against me. Experiencing trap after trap continuously. The trend isn’t your friend after all. The second you back a strong trend or strong setup, instant reversal. Long, Short, doesn’t matter, 95% of trades reverse. Yes, I can understand price reversing for a short period, but a complete trend change nearly every time that I make a trade, is not consistent with the “risks” set out in Pepperstone’s PDS, (Product Disclosure Statement). Please see excerpt below.
For example: Had the risk statement said something like: “It is highly likely, as soon as you make a trade, the price trend, will more than likely reverse, and your Stop-Loss, will more than likely get hit. Resulting in, you losing your capital”. I don’t think that I would have got involved. Because it is highly unlikely that I would make any profit. I can now see, why so many traders don’t make it.
No, this is fraud, plain and simple, by blatant price manipulation, or as the FCA call it “Market Abuse”.
I thought, to take screen shots, of just about every trade that suspiciously reversed. I now have hundreds.
I remember complaining to the guy that Pepperstone assigned to look after me. I won’t mention his name. Such a nice chap, used to phone regularly, until the money went down, never to be heard again.
He said, “Can’t be anything to do with us because we don’t have a dealing desk. We are a Non-dealing desk broker”.
Yes, that may well be, however, I am dealing with you, and you, are at least complicit in, and with, the fraudulent actions and activities, either by yourselves or others.
I will make all of my 150++ screen shots that I have taken, available, for anyone, to have a look at if they wish.
6. Key risks of trading
Margin FX
Contracts and
CFDs
Not trading on a formal
exchange
6.1 Trading with us is different to trading on a formal exchange. Unlike the Australian Securities Exchange and other exchanges, there’s no clearing
house for Margin FX Contracts and CFDs, and the performance of a CFD and/or Margin FX Contract by us isn’t “guaranteed” by an exchange or clearing house.
6.2 You’re also not buying the Underlying Asset (like a share or the currency), you’re investing in an interest in that Underlying Asset.
Suitability risk
6.3 The products that we offer are high risk and can be complex to understand. It’s critical that you consider your own current circumstances to make sure that these products are suitable for
you. If you don’t understand the key features and risks of the products that we offer, you should seek independent financial advice before you start trading with us.
Volatility risk
6.4 Margin FX and CFDs are derivatives. Derivative markets generally can be highly volatile (i.e. they move up and down in value quite quickly) so the risk that you’ll incur losses when you trade
in derivatives Contracts can be substantial. 6.5 High volatility means the markets can be very difficult to predict. This means that you shouldn’t consider any Contract offered by us or any other financial services provider to be a
“safe” trade.
6.6 If the market moves against you, you can find yourself in a position where the money you have on deposit in your Account isn’t enough to maintain your Contract, and you’ll be required to immediately deposit additional money as Margin to keep your Contract Open i.e. to “top up” your Account. If you don’t pay the additional money when we require you to, and your Margin drops below 50% of the Margin required to maintain your current Open Contracts, we are required to Close-Out your Contracts.

Hi steve369, thank for your interest.
I am so glad that you haven’t experienced price manipulation with pepperstone.
It’s not a great experience for trend reversals to happen virtually every time that a trade is placed. I have screenshots as evidence. But I’m not allowed to post attachments.

Thanks. That’s a long post.

But if you are experiencing 95 per cent of your trades reversing, this is an exceptional rate. Think of it. Re-orienting the direction of your trade would give you a 95 per cent win rate, which is just not attainable.

Therefore you are either entering where there is no trend, i.e. randomly. But this should give a 50 per cent win rate.

Or more likely you are trading very short timeframes with very tight stops, so your TA is effectively “noise”.

1 Like

sorry to hear about your problems, but very surprised indeed to see which broker it is

wow … you must have had a devastating ruling from the regulator, to be doing that?!

was your account ASIC-regulated or FCA-regulated?

what exactly did the regulator say?

wouldn’t be of much value to us, surely? what matters is clearly what the regulator said about them - maybe you could comment on that, please, to help to give us the flavour of “where you’re coming from” on this otherwise very perplexing issue?

You might want to consider reaching out to a legal professional who specializes in these types of issues. They can provide you with expert guidance on your next steps. Also, reporting your experience to your local financial authority could be helpful.

Can you explain what did you experience with them? Stop loss hunting, platform freezes, unusually high spreads or smth else?

Hi ontario. Thanks for your interest. Essentially, trap after trap, where a promising trend is formed, only to find as soon as you place your ‘all in’ trade a signal is sent, and the promising trend, suspiciously reverses. Combine that with the ‘highly reliable’ stop hunts. The stop hunts got sooo annoying, that I wouldn’t use them anymore. But the constant trend reversals cost me a fortune. One of the tests I did was to ride the reversal, and then change direction, only to find, that it changed again. I have a lot of screenshots as proof.
At the very least, Pepperstone, is in “Breach Of Duty Of Care” to their clients. I will see them in court, hopefully with as many other unfortunate clients that I can find.

I went through Pepperstone’s complaints procedure. Complete waste of time, as they failed to comment on any of the “trades of concern”, that they wanted me to provide. They only said that I could complain to the Ombudsman. Their initial investigation just asked for three out of hundreds of examples, and decided that “Pepperstone need not take any action” Whether or not Pepperstone is guilty or not of actual “Market Abuse” They are still knowingly and willingly supplying retail traders to a highly manipulated Forex. So at the very least they are in “Breach Of Duty Of Care” to their clients.

I recall the CEO of a UK brokerage pointing out in a Youtube clip that if a firm wanted to do something like stop-hunting which is against regulations, they might get away with it for a short time. But as soon as the firm went through a round of redundancies, the departed staff would be straight round to the regulator to spill the beans and that would be the end of the game. And the penalties from the regulator would be so severe that it just wouldn’t be worth it. So he knew it didn’t happen in his firm and he was certain it wasn’t in any others under the same regulator either, it just wouldn’t pay.

It’s unlikely that they can control the whole trend even for 2-3 sec because this deviation would create arbitrage opportunity as prices from their feed would soon need to converge to the price from major forex dealers. Also this can be easily spotted by comparing feed with other brokers and its huge red flag as many traders would flee if they learn that the broker manually intervenes to the feed.

1 Like

Thank you Emi.s for your input. Everything is in hand. My task at the moment, as I see it, is to find anyone else that may have been similarly affected, and help them get in touch with my solicitors.

1 Like

I did just that, only to find that it reversed again. At one point, I tried doing a grid, longs above and shorts below, so I couldn’t lose, what happened? Price consolidated and went sideways for ages.

Wow! You’ve got an awesome goal, and I really hope you crush it and succeed!

Thanks for the positivity Emi.s
I never give up! Never have. These scumbags stole my money, and I’m going to get it back, plus costs!

That’s the way to go! I’m totally sure you’re gonna nail it and give them a taste of their own medicine.