My first live positions ever, today, 24th Dec. 2013, with FXCM

Dear Jake,

thank you, and I hope that your ego has since been kept under wraps!

I think that this is a challenge for all of us, and even though my ego has not resurfaced of late, even as I posted those positive figures a couple of posts up, I know that it COULD come back and, in a moment of euphoria, push me to over-leverage again…

However, I have a stricter trading plan now, in terms of risk management, which boils down to never using more than 2:1 leverage on a trade (so, on my 500+ account, it will be 500 x 2 = 1,000 pound positions… When the account equity will get to 1,000, then I will consider stepping up to 1,000 x 2 = 2,000 pound positions, and manage the higher-sized positions accordingly through smaller targets, stops, smaller number of trades open, etc.).

All is well with me, and the account, so I have no fears for the future, but the next few months will be crucial to really see how I will perform in the medium term.

Cheers.

Congrats PipMeHappy!

You did it all by yourself and I am glad that you are making progress and making it. The hardest part is maintaining it in which I am in the same page as you :)…

Best of luck for both of us this month!

How true, PipNRoll… wise words from you, as always!

Correct me if I’m wrong, but it sounds to me like you’re risking more than 5% of your equity on some trades. That might be forcing you to miss out on new trading opportunities because too much of your capital is tied up in managing existing trades. If you limit your risk to less than 5% of your equity per trade, then at your account size of £550, that would be £27.50 per trade.

Personally, I try not to risk more than 2% of my equity on any trade, but I know that might be hard to follow for some traders. However, if you stick to trading single micro lots, you might even be able to put this into practice. On your account size, 2% would be £11 or over 180 pips at 6 pence per pip, which is the amount you would risk on a single micro lot (1k).

Dear Jason,

thank you for the tips… I am listening to your every word…

Yes, I will think about what you said…

Currently I have my account (usable) margin at 92% and my biggest drawdown is one open trade at -22.42 pounds,

making it a trade worth 4.6% of my total equity (480 pounds)… All my other open trades have a (negative) value worth

between 0.4% and 1.9%, with one (long-term) trade currently at 3%…

At the moment, therefore, I seem to have found a way to manage my risk that is more effective than what I had before, and

I am much happier than I was in February.

Thank you again for being so supportive and for guiding me through this process…

One more favour, however, I would ask of you: could you comment on my question here?

http://forums.babypips.com/forextown/65758-question-how-calculate-price-pair-what-cheap-expensive.html

This would be very helpful…

Cheers

I posted my response: 301 Moved Permanently

ALAS!

The markets opened again tonight and I was MARGIN CALLED!!

I wrote to FXCM right away, just a few minutes ago, to see where I went wrong…

My usable margin was down to about 60%… Last week was quiet, and I tried to squeeze the market a little more…

It was not greed as such (no big positions) but keeping too many open trades as I tried to ‘hedge’ them…

So: in January, lesson no.1 was DO NOT OVERLEVERAGE YOURSELF;

in June,     lesson no.2 was DO NOT LEAVE TOO MANY WEAK POSITIONS EXPOSED TO THE WEEKEND GAP.

As Jesse Livermore would do, I am taking this as a lesson paid to the markets - my education fees - so, as PipNRoll

told me the last time, it is character-building stuff… Time to dust oneself off and learn from this a good lesson.

Cheers.

[QUOTE=“PipMeHappy;635874”]ALAS! The markets opened again tonight and I was MARGIN CALLED!! I wrote to FXCM right away, just a few minutes ago, to see where I went wrong… My usable margin was down to about 60%… Last week was quiet, and I tried to squeeze the market a little more… It was not greed as such (no big positions) but keeping too many open trades as I tried to ‘hedge’ them… So: in January, lesson no.1 was DO NOT OVERLEVERAGE YOURSELF; in June, lesson no.2 was DO NOT LEAVE TOO MANY WEAK POSITIONS EXPOSED TO THE WEEKEND GAP. As Jesse Livermore would do, I am taking this as a lesson paid to the markets - my education fees - so, as PipNRoll told me the last time, it is character-building stuff… Time to dust oneself off and learn from this a good lesson. Cheers.[/QUOTE]

Defeat is often a more effective teacher than victory.

Quote of the century!!

A cracking chance at putting things right this week, and a good time to look at where the market

is heading across the currency spectrum…

Hi PMH,

What currency pairs were you trading? I don’t want to give you false hope, but there’s a chance your margin call was triggered by a bad tick (an erroneous price) that came through on our feed during the opening of trading yesterday. Please visit our FX Status page, for more details Status Page hosted by StatusCast

If you believe any of your trades were negatively impacted by a bad tick, please file a trade inquiry at the link above.

Jason

Dear Jason,

thank you. As I explained to Josh Cogar of FXCM (he is out of office until tomorrow), when trading reopened

on Sunday night, my USD/CAD, which was under by -170 pips (or thereabouts) went under by something

like 4,400 pips… I saw it on my mobile 'phone trading station… minutes later, I was dealing with a margin

call taking place… The pairs that I was trading and that were closed down automatically were: GBP/USD,

EUR/USD, CAD/JPY, EUR/JPY, EUR/GBP, AUD/NZD, NZD/JPY, GBP/JPY, EUR/NZD…

Interestingly, the USD/CAD that I mention, with the crazy P/L, was not closed down…

Cheers…

[QUOTE=“Jason Rogers;636105”]

Hi PMH,

What currency pairs were you trading? I don’t want to give you false hope, but there’s a chance your margin call was triggered by a bad tick (an erroneous price) that came through on our feed during the opening of trading yesterday. Please visit our FX Status page, for more details http://support.fxcm.com/status/

If you believe any of your trades were negatively impacted by a bad tick, please file a trade inquiry at the link above.

Jason[/QUOTE]

Hola jason, good to know bout the bad tick… i guess… btw how you notify your “other N million customers” bout this problem??

[QUOTE=“PipMeHappy;635874”]ALAS!

The markets opened again tonight and I was MARGIN CALLED!!

I wrote to FXCM right away, just a few minutes ago, to see where I went wrong…

My usable margin was down to about 60%… Last week was quiet, and I tried to squeeze the market a little more…

It was not greed as such (no big positions) but keeping too many open trades as I tried to ‘hedge’ them…

So: in January, lesson no.1 was DO NOT OVERLEVERAGE YOURSELF;

in June, lesson no.2 was DO NOT LEAVE TOO MANY WEAK POSITIONS EXPOSED TO THE WEEKEND GAP.

As Jesse Livermore would do, I am taking this as a lesson paid to the markets - my education fees - so, as PipNRoll

told me the last time, it is character-building stuff… Time to dust oneself off and learn from this a good lesson.

Cheers.[/QUOTE]

Dudeee pmh, here’s one more lesson, set my smart margin call alerts, learn them all about them on myfxcm.com, take it from once a fxcm newbie who lost a ton! But no more thanks to smart margin alerts. It’s surprising any fxcm rep here or on the phone won’t give me these kinda useful tips ever! All they want you to do is Keep depositing money and keep loosing!

Hi Risc6k

Perhaps you didn’t see them, but I’ve made several posts about FXCM’s Smart Margin alerts:

[ul]
[li]301 Moved Permanently
[/li][li]301 Moved Permanently
[/li][/ul]
Furthermore, on our No Dealing Desk (NDD) forex execution model FXCM makes money off client trading volume, not client losses, so we want you to be a successful trader. In fact, just today FXCM introduced new Real Volume and Transactions indicators to give you even more tools to help you with your trading.

If you ever have questions about FXCM’s platforms, please feel free to ask me in the Broker Aid Station. :57:

FXCM is making automatic trade adjustments for trades that were closed out erroneously, so it will be like the bad ticks never happened. Affected account holders are being contacted by our Trade Services Team. :slight_smile:

Also, for the record, it seems that the price feeds of several brokers were affected by the bad ticks this Sunday:

[ul]
[li]Spread - Page 3
[/li][li]Discussion - Page 75
[/li][li]MARKETS
[/li][li]Forex
[/li][/ul]

Dear Jason,

a representative from FXCM has written to me, informing me that I may re-enter the positions that were

closed out through the aforementioned margin call; any positive gap between the position at the time of the margin

call and at the time it is re-opened will be credited…

Thank you again, Jason Rogers!!!

I am waiting to hear from FXCM in the next day or two regarding my Trading Inquiry - I have been

allocated a case number…

Since the upset of the lost money in the margin call I tried for two trading weeks to make up that money,

with mixed results… Sometimes I used entry orders, sometimes I jumped into rallies (too late or bang on

the beginning), sometimes I got stopped out, sometimes I adjusted stops to allow for correction, sometimes

I went in with big bets, then managed losses to protect my account…

In the margin call, which is being investigated, I lost about £133, from an account balance of about £600

(I cannot remember the equity)… Trying to recover losses quickly would have worked but, trading mostly

during work hours with my mobile 'phone, I sometimes lost track of what bias I was trying to pursue

across the instruments.

I have, however, gained valuable trading experience in terms of pairs and I started trading commodities,

namely USOil and UKOil… Also, I realised that the UK 100 index, tradable on FXCM with as small a spread

as 1.0 (but with a 0.10 pip cost), is also one to watch, and one near significant over-appreciation, so it

does offer opportunities… As did the S&P500, a new one on my watchlist… A couple of days ago it

jumped over 100 pips and I managed to catch 42 pips of the move simply by being in the right place

at the right time…

I am banking on some money being credited back into my account from FXCM - that would really

make my day. I have since reopened the trades that had been closed during that Margin Call but

closed them back, as some of them had gone against my original bias.

Surprise of the week was EUR/NZD, which got me 30 pips to the upside, coming down to test and

bounce off a trend-line starting in 2012… Could this be the slow-churner of the year, similarly to

the AUD/NZD rising trend?

Anyway, the point is that I have taken and accepted many losses in the past two weeks, but kept

them balanced with winners, having the courage to let winners run, or to let losses being stopped out…

I would like to move on to Volume Price Analysis but because I trade from my mobile 'phone and the

(Real) Volume indicator is not available on the FXCM mobile trading platform, I have to wait until I get

home, and even then I do not always get to the computer in time until most of the US trading hours

have all but finished…

My ideal situation would be to try for six months having a desk at home set up with two screens to have

better comparative real-time analysis of pairs against volume, with a print-out of the economic calendar

and a real-time news feed on a third screen (e.g. mobile 'phone), trying to really keep track of what I

have been trading, i.e. writing a journal… I would also like to have a check-list of ‘pairs to watch’ that is

easier to follow, as my current way of doing this relies on memory and is quite time consuming as well

as a little bit inefficient.

However, I was doing well with my low-risk strategy before the margin call, and was about -12% down

from the starting account equity at the beginning of my trading last year, following a couple of big losses

in February… What the last couple of weeks have done for me is that they have proven how trying to

over-leverage yourself in a bid to recoup money that was lost in a ‘trading accident’ (in this case, a

margin call that should not have been) can be a double-edged sword… If managed well, it will work for you,

but you have to be sharp and ready, and trying to do this while in a full-time job is psychologically very

difficult to manage with a clear mind…

I am coming up to my holidays but unfortunately I will only have one day (Thursday) at home where I

will be able to make some money in the markets, as Friday will be the 4th of July US holiday, and makets

will be very quiet, undoubtedly… Then I will be out of the country for ten days, missing most of the

July trading, and stats show that, over many years, July has been the busiest month for trading through

the summer, across the board.

I am pointing all this out to myself, first, but also to others who have been following this thread, just to

reach out to them…

Cheers
and

Trade safe.

FXCM had bad ticks? That sounds sketch. Now I am curious if Oanda has done anything of the sort. What happened? An error in communication with the exchange? Sorry to hear about the illegitimate margin call pipmehappy. Banks and brokers alike are quick as hell to take your money but they are annoying slow at giving It back when they do wrong or when you want It out. Straight corrupt if you ask me. I like cash and hate banks, but I still have to use them like everyone else…

Hi PipMeHappy,

There will be times some things that, for some odd reasons, you do not have a control off. Times like these, you can only focus on the things that you CAN control like what you have been doing ( balancing your trades) or maybe just take a break for now. Sometimes a break can help too because there will be times that you can see it better or clearly when you look into your trades or your work or whatever might be. You cannot always beat yourself up to it and if you do, and then what? Do you still have the strength and energy that you need to keep going?Look everything in a different perspective…maybe 10 day break from trading will be good for you and who knows you might find the solution that you need when you return…

I too… Taking a break from it all. I need to recharge and comeback :slight_smile:

Thanks for the update about FXCM credits, etc., It gives me a bit of hope. All we normally see is what the brokers do wrong, so it’s good to hear when they act to fix a problem instead of just ignoring us. I’m not sure why they did wrong, sounds sloppy, but at least they acknowledged responsibility.