My Goal is to Reach 50 Pips a Day

Hi babypips community,

I have been playing around in my demo account and I have a question. Is it wise to risk the same amount of PIPs as your TP? I risked 35 pips and set my target for 35 pips on a 30 mins chart. I actually gained the PIPs (YAY), but I could have lost the same amount of PIPs.

I only ask because when I set my stop loss at 20 pips I kept getting kicked out of the trade. My goal is to gain 50 pips a day so grow my account slowly. That is how I’d like to grow my live account as well.

BTW I’m brand new to babypips. I just signed up yesterday.

LOL…
WE KNOW MATE… :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

@MiiMee
have you tried setting a take profit of 5 pips per trade and doing 10 trades a day
or
10 pips per trade and 5 trades a day instead of 1 trade of 50 pips

1 Like

@MiiMee

Hi mate welcome to the community. I would ask what type of trading you are doing and on what pairs, it’s difficult to say otherwise. 1:1 R:R @ 35 pips is not a problem if your win rate is above 50% and you have edge.

I would personally prefer to take a fixed risk on each trade (say 1-2% of balance) but adjust your TP and SL for each trade, according to the dynamics of the market at that time on that pair.

It’s more difficult to set a profit target based on a fixed number of pips movement because it is very arbitrary (and doesn’t take current volatility into account), unless you are using a stats arb quantitative technique or something similar, although I understand why you would want to set the trades into a binary choice like that.

I would ask - what do you currently use for position sizing. To work out the lot size you need to risk a certain amount based on your SL.

1 Like

Okay, with a 10 pip TP, I would have to have a max of 5 pip ST. is that right?

I’m brand new to trading so I am not trading 1:1. My win rate is not very high. My demo account is a little over $3000.

Symbol: USDCAD
Time frame: 30M
Trade type: Buy Stop
Trade size: 0.01

I am using MT4 on my phone to place the trades. when I do that I count the pips that I’d like to gain (TP), and those that I am willing to risk (SL). As far as only risking 1-2% of my account per trade, I would rather have more wins before I risk that much. For now I’m keeping my trade size at .01

No… not at all

here are some questions for your consideration

• HOW DID YOU CALCULATE THAT ?

• Why MUST IT be a Max of 5 Pips S/L ?

• Why does the T/P Price Determine the S/L Position ?

• I want you to consider these 3 Scneario’s
    Scenario 1
    T/P = 10 PIPS S/L = 5 PIPS

Scenario 2
T/P = 10 PIPS S/L = 30 PIPS

Scenario 3
T/P = 10 PIPS S/L = 80 PIPS

Give me your thoughts

why would I be willing to lose more pips than I’m trying to gain?

1 Like

well. you wouldn’t be,
but who says you would lose them to begin with

another question
did you just look at my question
or did you ACTUALLY CONSIDER AND CALCULATE THE 3 SCENARIO’S

if you just looked at them, i would ask you to sit down and carefully think about them
even better

why don’t you put all 3 Scenario’s in a demo account and test them and see IF YOU LOSE YOUR PIPS
try that

1 Like

also i asked you 4 questions
you didn’t answer any of them

the questions are there to teach you something
so answer them

1 Like

Cool, sounds like you are scalping (or close to), a lot of people do that. it doesn’t really matter what your R:R is, provided the win rate is above what you need to break even.

Scalping is a problem if you don’t have edge (win rate > break even win rate), but it is attractive because you bank more wins initially and that gives you the confidence to expand your TP. But if you don’t have edge then in the long run you will lose.

It depends on you really, but I would say jumping to a more equitable R:R like at least 1:1 and trying to find an edge in the market will save you a lot of time.

Or is that not what you are doing? (scalping). I’m not sure I get what are currently doing.

2 Likes

ok I’ll try all 3 scenarios

1 Like

Excellent… good work mate
do that, get back to me and give me your thoughts on the outcomes… ok

be cool
speak soon

1 Like

I do not know what R:R means. I just started the baby pips education yesterday. I was paying a company to teach me before I stumbled across baby pips :grin: When you say “1:1” are you suggesting that I should increase my position size?If so, that seems very risky. Looking for an edge in the market sounds like gambling. I like the idea of using a technical analysis.

1 Like

and there you have it
hehe

@ropunzel let the cat out of the bag

that’s right

but , still complete the test, because the idea is not to listen to everyone blindly,
the idea is PROVE THINGS FOR YOURSELF

2 Likes

I am not sure what R:R means?

Fair enough
it stands for RISK : REWARD
or RISK to REWARD

and to expand on that it means
if you have a Risk : Reward of 1 :3 it means you Risk 1 Part of the Ratio for 3 Parts Reward
so to put that ratio into numbers

in pips
you risk 10 Pips to make 30 pips
or you risk 80 pips to make 240 pips

and in $$$

you risk $10 to make $30 etc

1 Like

let’s just get this out of the way as well since you said this

do you have any other questions
i mean
do you understand what the following mean

R:R
S/L
T/P
B.E.
MT-4
EA
FX
BB
HA
EMA
SMA

do you understand these

2 Likes

OOOoHHHHHHH, LOL so the funny thing is, when I risked 35 pips and set my TP at 35 pips, I actually won that trade. It makes perfect sense now. LOL

I must be over-thinking this (as usual).

1 Like