My Stock Trading Journey

Jack Sherwin – Aspiring Stock & Forex Market Analyst

I am working to build a published portfolio of stock and forex analysis with Samuel and Co Trading. I will be posting my analysis weekly, so keep your eyes peeled for my market outlook. I would like to open my analysis for discussion and feedback from the community.

Stock in question: NYSE:BA (The Boeing Company)

I am sure you have seen the recent news stories regarding Boeing’s mishaps over the past 6 months. However, are these situations now presenting a buying opportunity in Boeing? With a market cap of $192Billion, Boeing design and manufacture commercial jets, defence equipment such as the F-15 fighter Jet, rockets, rotorcraft, satellites and missiles worldwide. Boeing has faced strong criticism in recent times as we saw two unfortunate accidents resulting in the loss of 346 lives. In preliminary reports, it is stated that the crashes were a result of the MCAS (Manoeuvring Characteristics Augmentation System) being activated due to the erroneous angle of attack information. In simpler terms, the angle of attack data makes the MCAS think that the plane is going to stall so it drops the nose to prevent this from happening only shortly after take-off. This presents an opportunity for Boeing to adjust the software and roll this out to the 393 grounded 737 MAX planes as well as the 4,500+ units on the order backlog to get these planes back in the skies. CEO Dennis Muilenburg released a statement on April 4th stating “We’re taking a comprehensive, disciplined approach, and taking the time, to get the software update right. We’re nearing completion and anticipate its certification and implementation on the 737 MAX fleet worldwide in the weeks ahead”. Since this statement, on April 17th Muilenburg said “We’re making steady progress toward certification”. Let’s have a look at what this has done to the stock.

Technicals

Source: Tradingview

From this chart, we can see the decline as a result of the aforementioned accidents firstly in October resulting in a 25% drop in the stock value in the months to follow. As the markets regained their positive sentiment in late December into January, we saw a rally to new all-time highs of around $440. This was followed by news of the second crash this time seeing the stock drop 22% to its current level. I can see this continuing to the $320 or $300 level before seeing some more upside as the groundings of the 737 MAX’s are lifted by authorities. There are some particular levels of interest in this situation with the $370 level showing to have acted as resistance on previous occasions so we could possibly see price stall at this level before moving higher. Let’s have a look at the fundamentals leading to this move.

Fundamentals

Source:SimplyWallSt

Currently, Boeing is sitting at a strong 36% discount against its intrinsic value based on future cash flows with more room to move to the downside opening further discount. The intrinsic value is $537 which I don’t see as achievable in the shorter term however I can see this stock moving back to it’s all-time highs at $440. However, only on the condition that the FAA (Federal Aviation Authority) certify the fleet fit to fly again. I would also hope to see an increase in output back to the previous 52 units per month up from its reduced 42 units per month currently. Assuming $440 as a target, currently puts the stock at a 23% discount.
BA brokerSource: IG.com
Broker ratings for this stock are showing to be a bit of a mixed bag. The 25 ratings are showing an average of buy with 8 strong buys, 9 buys, 6 holds and 2 strong sells.

A regular point of interest in my stock analysis is the dividend of which Boeing is a very average payer. Boeing has a rich history of paying a stable dividend which is definitely a point in their favour however the current rate is a mere 2.41%. This does put it above the bottom 25% of payers in the US however they are a way off the 3.86% minimum of the top 25% in the same sector.

Source: IG.com

Touching down on some further fundamentals here we have the last full year reports from Boeing for their net income, total equity and cash from operating activities. As you can see there was some good growth during 2018 for both the net income and cash levels with income growing by 23% from $8.5B to $10.5B as well as cash growth of 15% from $13.3B to $15.3B. However, as you can see, Boeing has struggled with its total equity in the past 5 years seeing drops in equity each year before 2017. With this being said, if we see an upside surprise in total equity in the preliminary report for 2019, this could be highly exaggerated in the stock price reflection to follow and we could see some strong upside moves in this situation.

In conclusion, Boeing is facing some troubling times and this is not to be taken lightly, I do see some further downside before opportunities arise. This company is a clear market leader and in high demand with 5,000+ units on order. I will be watching the news carefully for the certification from the FAA for the 737 MAX fleet to fly again. Thank you for reading my report today.

References:

Boeing – investors – annual reports - http://investors.boeing.com/investors/financial-reports/default.aspx

Boeing – 737 MAX updates - http://www.boeing.com/commercial/737max/737-max-update.page

Boeing – Wikipedia - Boeing - Wikipedia

Disclaimer:

This article is not and should not be construed as an offer to sell, or the solicitation of an offer to purchase, or to subscribe for any investment. The owner, editor, writer and publisher and their associates are not responsible for errors or omissions. The author of this article is not a registered financial advisor. Readers should not view this material as offering investment related advice. Authors have taken information from what is perceived as reliable sources, but since the information source(s) are beyond our control, no representation or guarantee is made that it is complete or accurate. The reader precautions to ensure the accuracy of the information provided. Information collected and presented accepts information on the condition that errors or omissions shall not be made the basis for any claim, demand or cause for action. Past results are not necessarily indicative of future results. Any statements non-factual in nature constitute only current opinions, which are subject to change. The information presented in this article is not a specific buy or sell recommendation and is presented solely for informational purposes only. Not to be taken as financial advice. Investors are advised to obtain the advice of a qualified financial and investment advisor before entering any financial transaction.

2 Likes

Nice breakdown Jack!

1 Like

I am working to build a published portfolio of stock and forex analysis with Samuel and Co Trading. I will be posting my analysis weekly, so keep your eyes peeled for my market outlook. I would like to open my analysis for discussion and feedback from the community.

Stock in question: LSE:HL. (Hargreaves Lansdown PLC)

Hargreaves Lansdown is a UK based financial services company that sells funds, shares and related products to retail investors. Much like my friends over at Samuel and Co Trading, Peter Hargreaves and Stephen Lansdown started trading from a bedroom and provided information to clients on unit trusts and tax planning. The company was first listed on the London Stock Exchange in May 2007 and is a constituent of the FTSE 100 index with a market cap of £9.2B. Hargreaves Lansdown is the UK’s biggest direct to investor investment platform and in the winter of 2018 administered a great £91.6B worth of investments for over 1 million clients.

Hargreaves Lansdown has been a strong supporter of Woodford investment management and features several investment products of theirs on the Wealth 50 list. With this being said, it has come about that Neil Woodford has decided to suspend his Equity Income Fund after seeing large outflows and increased redemptions. This led to the decision for Hargreaves Lansdown to drop Woodford’s fund from its Wealth 50 which left clients and investors doubtful of the robustness of how HL chooses its top 50 funds for clients.

Source: TradingView

The chart for this stock has definitely been an interesting one over the last couple of years. There has been significant uncertainty in the markets as Brexit negotiations seemingly make no progress towards a deal and investors seek havens for their capital and assets. This has proved to be beneficial to HL with Q1 of 2018 showing a 16% increase in net revenue and assets under management rose by 3%. Looking at the chart of Hargreaves stock price we can see the extent of the negative market sentiment as a result of dropping Woodford from its Wealth 50, the total decline standing around 16%. I can see this potentially dropping down to 1800p or even down to 1750p which would give us some great opportunity to buy into this stock at a fair price. I will be looking for a long position with my stop below the 1640p handle and here is why I think this stock is a set to be potential buy in the weeks to come.

Fundamentals

Source: SimplyWallSt

Historical debt for HL is definitely a tick in their favour having not had any debt for over 5 years and as you can see the growth of their cash and net worth has steadily increased in the same time frame.

Source: IG.com

The growth for HL in the results for 2018 were very strong across the board especially in such a turbulent time in the UK investment markets. Net income rose from £211.7m to £236.3M for a growth of 11.6% which is way above the low-risk savings rate of 1.2%. Total equity saw a strong performance with growth of 32% from £307M to £404M and finally Cash flow improved by 8% from £225m to £245M so a great performance across the board for 2018. So What do other brokers think of HL?

Source: Hargreaves Lansdown

The broker ratings on this stock are coming in as an average neutral rating with a slight weight to the sell side. The ratings on the sell side are targeting prices in the range of 1,775p down to 1,541p, as we see some significant moves in this stock value I will be keeping a close eye on these ratings as price approaches this zone I would expect to see these sell ratings to adjust to holds. Numis Capital has upgraded their rating from ‘hold’ to ‘add’ on 11/6 which saw a slight market reaction to the upside, however the stock has continued its move down during the open of 12/6.

Hargreaves Lansdown is not the best dividend payer in the market with a small 1.68% current annual income putting it amongst the lower 25% of payers in the UK. It could be said that this promotes investors to look to invest in other products with the company itself where they can make commissions on these investors, turning this low dividend into a selling point for its top funds and investment products.

In conclusion, this stock has seen a shock drop and I am going to be watching carefully how this pans out over the next few days or weeks to consider a position. HL have a strong position in the UK market and have been performing well in recent years pushing me to look for long term holds in this stock focussing on growth as opposed to an income investment once I see an opportunity to achieve a fair price.

References:

Hargreaves Lansdown Wikipedia - Hargreaves Lansdown - Wikipedia

Hargreaves Lansdown boss apologises for Woodford Suspension - Hargreaves Lansdown boss apologises for Woodford suspension - BBC News

Woodford Funds – Fund Suspension update - Fund suspension update from Neil - Woodford Investment Management Ltd

Disclaimer:

This article is not and should not be construed as an offer to sell, or the solicitation of an offer to purchase, or to subscribe for any investment. The owner, editor, writer and publisher and their associates are not responsible for errors or omissions. The author of this article is not a registered financial advisor. Readers should not view this material as offering investment related advice. Authors have taken information from what is perceived as reliable sources, but since the information source(s) are beyond our control, no representation or guarantee is made that it is complete or accurate. The reader precautions to ensure the accuracy of the information provided. Information collected and presented accepts information on the condition that errors or omissions shall not be made the basis for any claim, demand or cause for action. Past results are not necessarily indicative of future results. Any statements non-factual in nature constitute only current opinions, which are subject to change. The information presented in this article is not a specific buy or sell recommendation and is presented solely for informational purposes only. Not to be taken as financial advice. Investors are advised to obtain the advice of a qualified financial and investment advisor before entering any financial transaction.

2 Likes

Hey @JackSherwin.

Oh man it is so nice to see NO FOREX!!!

Well you’ll have one more reader for what it’s worth. I only trade Equities and Commodities and have been doing so for many years. It really is the only way to make money in this business. Ask me how I know!!!

As I am a purely a systems based trader (my methodology well documented around these parts) I will probably never trade based on any of your analysis (matter of fact I make a POINT of staying AWAY from people like you so as to ensure that I do not develop a directional bias that conflicts with my system and methodology). However: I can already see that if nothing else you may well put individual stocks on my radar i.e. stocks that I ordinarily would probably never look at.

All of the above being said: very very nice thread. Well presented.

1 Like

Hi @dpaterso

Thank you very much for your kind words about my thread so far and I definitely appreciate your method of approaching the markets. Even though we may not trade via similar systems I do hope we can share stocks that we are watching and see if our systems do have any confluence.

Again thank you for reading some of my content and I hope you are looking forward to the content moving forward.

1 Like

Call me Dale!!! LOL!!!

I would like that (discussing individual stocks). Sure does sound like a plan to me if for no other reason than to compare notes as you say.

Regards,

Dale.

1 Like

Sure Dale, I look forward to sharing what I am watching with you. One for me at the minute is UK premium drinks company Fevertree. Keep a look out for in-depth analysis next week.

1 Like

Nice detailed breakdown Jack! Interested to see how you trade it moving forward

1 Like

Well as luck would have it: my broker is ETX Capital. So I just checked and I do have Fevertree. Always helps to be able to look at the same charts does it not!!! LOL!!!

As a rule I’m always monitoring and trading the FAANG stocks. And Microsoft. But the main reason for this really is because at any given time you’ll probably always find me long or short just about every index known to man (it’s my shotgun approach which seems to serve me well!!! LOL!!!). Point is: I will always be at very least long or short the NASDAQ, S&P, and the Dow. So I watch those stocks simply because of their weightings as I’ve always been of the opinion that simply because of this the NASDAQ leads.

There’s my background and contribution for now.

Look forward to see how your analysis stacks up with what I would do given an appropriate scenario from my system and methodology.

Regards,

Dale.

P.S.

Fevertree added to a Watchlist. Very interesting chart.

2 Likes

Hey Jack.

Fevertree.

I’m looking forward to your analysis and insights this week. Not for me to base a trade on (will detail that in a minute) but really to compare notes. It’s always interesting for me to compare pure system based trades with analysis.

I will post a chart here sometime over the weekend i.e. unfortunately routine maintenance is being performed right now, today, at ETX so I’m unable to download the Fevertree chart at this time.

I have, however, been watching it. Huge gap down yesterday and then price climbed with a fever (no pun intended of course) for the rest of the day (didn’t quite close the gap). Obviously: I’m not telling you anything you don’t already know (I assume not anyway).

Now for me:

Although it could be argued that the price move down at the open yesterday could have formed a double bottom based on the previous low: I did not consider that previous low as the other part of a double bottom i.e. same thing happened there. The previous low was also formed by an opening gap. My orders are placed at the low of the low previous to that previous low (I hope that makes sense) (try saying that a few times quickly). Obviously easier to point out on a chart which, as I say, I shall post just as soon as I am able to. I will also, in fine detail, detail the actual trade.

1 Like

Great. We’re back on line.

Fevertree Drinks Plc.

Now the question is: how does this all fit in with your analysis (if at all).

I know nothing about the company other than what I’ve seen on their website. My CRUDE logic tell me that because you’re going into Summer there: maybe consumption (and therefore sales) increases given the types of drinks we’re talking about here??? Other than that: I have not a clue as to what may move this stock OTHER than the fact that any traders looking at this chart may play a hand in giving it a bounce IF MY version of the double bottom eventually does form (and for all I know I may already have missed the trade).

Hi Dale,

Some great analysis there on Fevertree and over the weekend no less which is an admirable feat. I stay out of the markets until sunday night to refresh mindset and explore activities and plans to be executed as inspiration to get into the markets next week. I will be following this with my in depth analysis of Fevertree and my outlook from a technical and fundamental standpoint.

1 Like

Hey Jack.

All of which (the parts I have emboldened) you’re going to share BEFORE the trades start I assume right??? LOL!!!

(I have a limit buy at 2126.14 for the record).

Well Fevertree’s gap has just been closed from last week. All things being equal and based purely on the fact that my core trading system has more short global markets: would be fitting that it thanks from here and executes my order.

Most certainly, I always ensure to post my analysis before my position to publish my outlook in foresight as opposed to hindsight. Essentially my own verified track record in the stock market.

1 Like

Stock in question: AIM:FEVR (Fevertree Drinks PLC)

Founded in 2004, Fevertree drinks PLC are a UK-based premium mixer drink company that has been taking the market by storm in the last few years. We have seen a great uprising in the popularity of the Gin industry in the UK in recent years and according to The Wine and Spirit Trade Association (WTSA), Gin sales by volume increased by 28% in 2018 alone. What is the most popular serving of gin? it is of course tonic and it seems the market is liking one tonic brand in particular above the rest and in the Drinks International’s Annual Brand Report FEVR were voted the No1 best-selling and No1 trending tonic water for the 5th year running. So how are they performing now?

Source:Tradingview

In my opinion, this is one of the best technical charts I have had in my reports so far. As you can see, the price has proven to be very volatile since the beginning of the year with us seeing a price hike from 2,165p to yearly highs at 3,289p however since then we have seen a steep price decline down to the 2,400p level of its previous low. This level happens to coincide with the long term uptrend that is seen in blue which was drawn on the weekly chart. In the last few days, we have seen a strong daily pin bar close right on the 2,400p level and trendline followed by a day of consolidation. This presents a good opportunity at a fair price and I will be looking for confirmation to go long on this stock aiming to achieve a price target of 3,000p. This level has proven to be an area of resistance to previous rallies and we have seen two rebounds from here in recent times so without any significant good news for the company I will expect this level to hold strong in this case. My trade idea will be invalidated if the price reaches the yearly lows around 2,100p.

Fundamentals

On the 12th of June 2019, HSBC started their Fevertree rating at a buy with a price target of 3,400p, adding to the existing ratings from Numis, Deutsche Bank, RBC capital markets and several others. On the 17th of June, Numis reiterated their buy rating on this stock with a price target of 3,600p and most interestingly Morgan Stanley reiterated their overweight rating on the 13th with a target of 4,000p.

FEVR broker Source:IG.com
As you can see here the full range of ratings is coming through as an average buy rating however half of the ratings are strong buys showing some good potential in this stock value.

Source:SimplyWallSt

Looking into the historical debt of the company, their historical debt is in very good shape currently and has shown to have been for the past 4 years. Prior to this was the period where FEVR was not listed on the AIM market so obtaining data can be difficult so I am not focussing on that period. Since listing. FEVR has shown to grow cash levels and net worth year by year whilst holding a steady, low and manageable debt level.

Source:IG.com

Fevertree has seen growth across the board for the past 5 years and is not looking to be slowing down, as mentioned they are proving to be the UK’s favourite premium mixer and this is clearly expanding to other regions being stocked in 74 countries across the world. In 2018 Net Income grew by 35% from £45m to £68m, Total Equity grew by 40% from £130m to 183m and Cash from Operating activities grew by 34% from £34m to £45m. This is one of the greatest percentage increases across the board in recent years and it is not incapable of continuing this trend.

In conclusion, I think this stock is presenting us with a great opportunity for a long position at its current position. The technicals look good with its pin bar on the daily chart bouncing off of the long term trendline and 2,400p level. The fundamentals are performing well and they most definitely have a great market share with 9/10 of the worlds top rated bars stocking Fevertree. Thank you for taking the time to read my article, comments welcome.

References:

Fevertree – Investors - https://fever-tree.com/en_GB/investors
Fevertree – Investors – AGM report - https://fevertree.s3.eu-west-2.amazonaws.com/reports/7baeb5fe4ce45bcfdafa68c92f481f57.pdf
Fevertree – Wikipedia - Fever-Tree - Wikipedia

Disclaimer:

4 Likes

Hey Jack.

REAL nice work there. REAL nice.

My proposed trade with limit order buy @ 2127.40 and with a soft stop at 1669.06 stands.

From my technical standpoint and based on my core trading system: I’m waiting for pullbacks on the major Indices. All things being equal this should take Fevertree to my entry level but will violate your trend line of course.

Based on your post and analysis though: would feel even better about the trade i.e. not based purely on a technical or system trade but underpinned by your analysis and broker ratings.

Really nice work.

Regards,

Dale.

1 Like

You know what:

Sorry folks. I’ve cancelled my order. It just occurred to me that this could be a dumb thing for me to do. This could turn into a long term trade and I may even end up carrying losses for a while Not worth it to me to be totally honest i.e. it’s just going to tie up margin that could be far better utilized on more liquid stocks and with higher volatility (such and the stocks that I actually do usually trade as a rule).

That is very fair Dale, got to stick to your strategy and stick to what you know.

1 Like

Probably regret it!!! LOL!!!

Real problem I guess are the ESMA margin restrictions (although I don’t consider them a problem but rather a God send to be honest). Leverage is extremely low on Equities which is just fine. But it does limit you in a case like this.

1 Like